Windows Managing EMAILS to each department

We have few departments and as of now i have

1. Gmail account
2. Self hosted Mail account .. for now have two accounts created.

The issue here is , currently all mails are going to gmail , since it was the one which was used for long time. My question is

1. How do i redirect mails based on sender to particular departments ? Also have a copy at one central location ( I have a server running as well , newly installed)
2. How can i allow users to send mails /reply either through gmail or through our email ID ?
3. Is there a way to give access to users only to particular emails ?
4. Should i run any software to handle this ?
5. Should i slowly change over to self hosted email id ? If so how can i give users proper permission where they can only view and send emails and not delete.?

Is it possible to tell me the price for such service and implementation .. roughly ?

shoud be done in few days for 5k to 10k max. You may find someone online on fiverr but depends on how easy / difficult implementation is based on requirements.
Find a local person whom you can explain. Make sure your requirements are clear for what all you want to get done as somethings mentioned will not be possible, there will be tradeoffs

Agree with Puns. Get an IT guy

I'll try to add few points assuming you intend to switch to custom domain eventually
- I'm also assuming you will use google workspace for hosting ( since you mention gmail )

1. How do i redirect mails based on sender to particular departments ?
- You can create shared users representing departments ( purchasing, accounts etc )
--- However each of these users would cost money.
- Also have a copy at one central location
--- Create a common/central email id and set auto BCC for all emails. You can also auto-forward to another domain

2. How can i allow users to send mails /reply either through gmail or through our email ID ?
- Ideally when you switch to custom domain, let reply be via that only. It's professional and good for maintenance ( filters etc )
- Although I think it wont be possible to reply via 'gmail' when users are logged in via custom domain

3 Is there a way to give access to users only to particular emails ?
- What does this mean ?
--- You can set filters/rules to route intended mail to intended users.
--- If you need more control, you need to eventually create more users separate from common ones per dept

--- Google workspace

5 Should i slowly change over to self hosted email id ?
--- Opposite. Plan to switch to custom domain as early as possible.
--- As you scale up, it will cost more effort/maintenance etc
-If so how can i give users proper permission where they can only view and send emails and not delete.?
--- To be able to not delete is not a possibility. However since you already have a copy at central place should not be an issue.

You should use cloud based email hosts like Google Workspace, MSO365, etc. Though most people like mso365, I personally found google workspace clutter free to use. Look for Google Groups option which probably may interest you.
If looking cheaper options, go for Zoho, postale.io, etc.
Self hosted mail servers are no go territory these days.

Agree with Puns. Get an IT guy

I'll try to add few points assuming you intend to switch to custom domain eventually
- I'm also assuming you will use google workspace for hosting ( since you mention gmail )

Gmail id was created like a personal ID , but used for business purpose.
Havent explored workspace yet.

1. How do i redirect mails based on sender to particular departments ?
- You can create shared users representing departments ( purchasing, accounts etc )
--- However each of these users would cost money.
- Also have a copy at one central location
--- Create a common/central email id and set auto BCC for all emails. You can also auto-forward to another domain

Lets say i have xyz.com
and create
dept1@xyz.com
dept2@xyz.com
dept3@xyz.com
and so forth.

I want all users email to reside in a common pool or atleast i should be able to view them commonly.

Also dept1@xyz.com will be handled by say 2 users.. this is an example. Can i have two users have access to that mail id ? with two different username and password ?
Similarly to other email ID`s as well.

- Ideally when you switch to custom domain, let reply be via that only. It's professional and good for maintenance ( filters etc )
- Although I think it wont be possible to reply via 'gmail' when users are logged in via custom domain

SElfhosted = custom domain .. sorry for my ignorance on that.

I have domain and i have created 2 email ID`s thus far.

along with that i have a old gmail ID

3 Is there a way to give access to users only to particular emails ?
- What does this mean ?
--- You can set filters/rules to route intended mail to intended users.
--- If you need more control, you need to eventually create more users separate from common ones per dept

I have tried to explain this above , i suppose :)

--- Google workspace
Thanks will surely explore it ..

5 Should i slowly change over to self hosted email id ?
--- Opposite. Plan to switch to custom domain as early as possible.
--- As you scale up, it will cost more effort/maintenance etc
-If so how can i give users proper permission where they can only view and send emails and not delete.?
--- To be able to not delete is not a possibility. However since you already have a copy at central place should not be an issue.

Yes.. Thanks . Thats why i came here for direction.

thanks for your wonderful detailed answer.. :blush:
You should use cloud based email hosts like Google Workspace, MSO365, etc. Though most people like mso365, I personally found google workspace clutter free to use. Look for Google Groups option which probably may interest you.
If looking cheaper options, go for Zoho, postale.io, etc.
Self hosted mail servers are no go territory these days.
sorry i meant custom domain email id.. :(

Thanks again , will go through them. can these solutions be combined with custom(domain) email id ?

Check zoho mail (there is a free version too) you can create unlimited alias.
Pro version has much better features.

You can configure mail send to 1@yourdomain.com to a specific user in your department.
Same way You can configure mail send to 2@yourdomain.com to a specific user in your department.

But
For this thing = 1. How do i redirect mails based on sender to particular departments ?
You cannot identify who the sender is unless, it is from specific domains only.
Like send email from 1@auniquedomainame.com to specific department is doable
but sending emails from 1@gmail.com or 1@hotmail.com etc. to different departments is impossible to achieve.

You will have to re-program this on your email or website hosting provider. but still very difficult unless you know the email address of all the people who will send you emails.

Most hosted mails cost a lot when it comes to a lot of mail ids . Same is the case with Google .

Are you fine with hosting a mail server on your premises ? If you have a static IP then just go ahead and try to get an open source mail server installed . Preferable ones would be on Ubuntu server .
Most people need just mails and not many use the extra features that commercial ones and end up paying for those .

To redirect mails based on sender , you will have to tell us who are the senders first . Are they senders from your website , various portals , from groups , client companies , buyers etc . Based on that we can draw up a broad classification .
Same is the case with access to mails . If the users are part of a group then everyone will get those mails .

On the mail server you can configure the mail to receive mails through 1 server and send through another . Meaning you will have to learn a bit on the SMTP server and its authentication .

Even if Users delete mails on their system a mail copy can still be stored on the server and only the Admin of that server can delete that mail .

Seems OP have a confusion about self hosted and custom domains. Self hosted means, you are hosting email server within your premises or in a data center, this requires expertise and you will have to jump innumerable number of hurdles.

Custom domain means, you can buy a yourcompany.com domain name from google, mso365, zoho, other providers, etc., pay per email-id for their services. Far easier to maintain. For eg., found zoho to be customer friendly.

Email aliases can help with your requests as far as my understanding goes.

We have few departments and as of now i have

1. Gmail account
2. Self hosted Mail account .. for now have two accounts created.

The issue here is , currently all mails are going to gmail , since it was the one which was used for long time. My question is

1. How do i redirect mails based on sender to particular departments ? Also have a copy at one central location ( I have a server running as well , newly installed)
Depends on the type of mail server you jusing or prefer to use. All of them offer to config mail redirection.
By creating aliases. You can create multilple such alises, even gmail offers it I think so. Used to use aliases a lot in Yahoo!
3. Is there a way to give access to users only to particular emails ?
Custom group mailboxes.
Locally hosted mail server either free or paid either intranet based or cloud one.
5. Should i slowly change over to self hosted email id ? If so how can i give users proper permission where they can only view and send emails and not delete.?
Depends on the plans and options offered by the hosting party.

Back