Massive difference when writing/reading files from laptop/pc to USB drive.

Futureized

Skilled
Transfer of 80 gb (single file from usb to laptop takes 8 minutes)
Transfer 12 gb single file from pc to usb takes 24 minutes

Hello,
I have this pen drive which supports read/write speeds over 150 MBps
View: https://imgur.com/a/emHn3yW

When writing/reading to/from pendrive on my laptop, i am easily able to get speeds upto 140 Mbps+
This is my laptop usb specification
View: https://imgur.com/a/B3maiay

But when I am using the same pen drive to read/write data from/to I get maximum speed of upto 20 MBps and goes down to 10 mbps ?
I tried to connect the pen drive to front USB (2 ports) speed is even worse there (not going above 5 mbps)
This is my motherboard with detailed explanation of USB ports
View: https://imgur.com/a/PT5oTAn

Since It is an issue everytime to move machine (kept in a room corner) I have bought 2 USB male- female cables with 3 feet length and connected at back of USB 3 slots this gives terrible speeds as well.
Same happens when pen drive is connected directly to usb ports at back.
Here are some photos of PC at back and USB cables from Amazon Basics.
View: https://imgur.com/a/cUnMwp8

Can someone kindly help, what is wrong with slow READ/WRITE speeds on PC ? (both front and back USB ports)

Thanks.

Is this happening when using type C ports also.....i that same 80gb file if transferred from usb to pc is it showing same slow speeds.....are drivers updated.....what windows version u are using?

Is this happening when using type C ports also.....i that same 80gb file if transferred from usb to pc is it showing same slow speeds.....are drivers updated.....what windows version u are using?
Thanks for reply.
Not tried type-c port.
Don't have required cable, not sure if a type c mobile data cable can be used.

Yes 80gb from usb to PC is very slow too.

Yes updated drivers.

Pc windows 10
Laptop 11

But ur pendrive supports type c also right and pc also has type c ports.....for win 10 on pc check internet once if there are any known issues

Yes, when directly connecting pen drive to type-c port on pc gives same slow issues. I mentioned this in first question.

That's a USB 2.0 extension cable. You won't get 3.2 speeds using that.

As to why you're not getting expected speeds when connected via Type C port directly, try updating BIOS and chipset drivers. Also try USB Tree Viewer to see if the ports are not operating as expected.
Re-Checked BIOS, I have latest version, not sure what the USB Tree settings, here is results (my pen drive is connected as well).
Data copy from usb to laptop is 140 to 145 MBPs, data copy from usb to pc is 28 to 32 MBPs (no matter where i connect pen drive, in front ports, back ports or via extended cables)

Attachments

• usb tree viewer.png
    usb tree viewer.png
    210.4 KB · Views: 69
@Futureized look to the left of the [PortX], in the USB logo. It seems the pen drive is operating as H = USB 2.0
Ideally it should show S = Super Speed USB 3.0

Since you know the pen drive works fine on another machine, the mobo port must be faulty.

Try plugging it into each of the mobo ports and see if any of them show as S.

You will never get 3.0 speeds if you're using 2.0 extension, so connect directly only to test.

If the board is under warranty, let service centre figure it out. Else get Electrical Contact Cleaner spray and clean all the ports (after your PC is shutdown for a few hours and unplugged from mains)

@Futureized look to the left of the [PortX], in the USB logo. It seems the pen drive is operating as H = USB 2.0

Since you know the pen drive works fine on another machine, the mobo port must be faulty.

You will never get 3.0 speeds if you're using 2.0 extension, so connect directly only to test.

If the board is under warranty, let service centre figure it out. Else get Electrical Contact Cleaner spray and clean all the ports (after your PC is shutdown for a few hours and unplugged from mains)
Yes....you are right.....did u tried to reinstall the drivers for same....try to update it forcefully

This is what appears when
1 - front-right port is connected to pen drive and front-left keyboard mouse dongle

2- front-left to usbpen drive and front-right to keyboard mouse dongle (Only mouse works, keyboard does not works)
Now the speeds goes to 140 MBPs + So surprised by this, I have not yet tested ports at back yet, will check those too and mark accordingly, for now connected keyboard/mouse dongle to those extended cables from back (both keyboard + mouse working)

Seems some technical fault or is it because of dust ?
Can you kindly suggest cleaner as you mentioned from amazon.in ?
Will spray and keep PC shut down for 10 hours atleast.
Yes....you are right.....did u tried to reinstall the drivers for same....try to update it forcefully
I think it should not be a problem with drivers or this is really required ?
I dont want to get into hassle of this, but which usb drivers ?
This are all downloads for my motherboard - https://www.asus.com/motherboards-c...oad/?model2Name=TUF-GAMING-B660M-PLUS-WIFI-D4

Attachments

• 1 - front-right pen drive front-left keyboard mouse dongle.png
    1 - front-right pen drive front-left keyboard mouse dongle.png
    387.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 2 - front left port to pen drive and front right to dongle keyboard does not works.png
    2 - front left port to pen drive and front right to dongle keyboard does not works.png
    386.4 KB · Views: 67
I don't think you need to do anything except use the correct ports:
  • Black = USB 2.0. Connect things like keyboard, mouse, printer
  • Blue = USB 3.x. Use these to connect fast devices like HDD, pen drive etcor things that need a lot of power
Some mobos may use different colours to differentiate between USB 3.0 and the faster 3.2 <whatever>. Refer the manual and select the fastest port your device supports

I don't think you need to do anything except use the correct ports:
  • Black = USB 2.0. Connect things like keyboard, mouse, printer
  • Blue = USB 3.x. Use these to connect fast devices like HDD, pen drive etcor things that need a lot of power
Some mobos may use different colours to differentiate between USB 3.0 and the faster 3.2 <whatever>. Refer the manual and select the fastest port your device supports
Thanks @n1r0 , You are a genius..
Connected my pen drive to all 5 Blue USB ports at back including the Type C (getting better speeds 150 mbps and same speed on just one port in front.
Other port seems to have issues as i mentioned, (front-right port connected to keyboard mouse dongle (Only mouse works, keyboard does not works)
Important - Write speed to USB drive from PC on all blue ports starts at 60 mbps and drops down to 40 mbps this drive - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B06XC1WGQR/

Can you suggest that spray which can be useful to keep these ports clean ?
And also the USB extension cable for better speeds, can keep this cables always connected.

Also if there is a network wire/type-c wire/usb wire which can allow to transfer data between pc/laptop fast.
(prefer amazon for all purchases if no big difference)

I got this cables last year - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00NH13Q8W

Attachments

• PC BACK.jpg
    PC BACK.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 59
  • PC FRONT.jpg
    PC FRONT.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Back