Maximum Hard disk capacity supported by Xbox 360

channabasanna

Disciple
Hi guys,

I have a Xbox 360 4GB Kinect console. Playing GTA V, Forza4 needs a lot or memory.
Currently i have 2 Sandisk USB drives connected to the console.

Now i am planning to attach a HDD to the console. Since the 320GB Xbox HDD by Microsoft is too costly i am planning to buy a Xbox 360 HDD case from eBay: http://www.ebay.in/itm/INTERNAL-HAR...nsoles_Accessories&hash=item19e2526e61&_uhb=1 and add a Laptop HDD to the same.
Have few queries on this:
1. What is the maximum HDD capacity the Xbox 360 can support. Can i install a 500GB HDD. (Will try by adding my old laptop HDD, it is 500GB)
2. Does the current Laptop HDD's support FAT file format, since i read somewhere that the Xbox uses FAT format.
3. Are there are any recommended HDD's for the same. (Dilemma is are there any rpm limitations of the HDD)

Thanks in Advance,
Channabasanna S

It uses FAT32. Dont know about MAX but 500GB is supported if you put it in the HDD casing.
If you connect via USB then max only 2USB drives can be connected and if they are larger than 32GB only 32GB max will be available(usable).
Any 5400 2.5" HDD should do. Windows now mostly uses FAT 32 or NTFS.
How ever FAT 32 supports max 2TB disk with a maximum size of each file being 4GB. Not more than that.

Thanks buddy, i have been using the NTFS format due to the limitations of File size in FAT32 in Windows.
I have been using 2 USB drives currently (8 and 16GB) which are now almost full with Game Data.
So will get the converter and install it into my Xbox with the existing 500GB.

Search online you will find tools which can do that for you using your laptop. You wont even need that special converter/data transfer cable from MS.
Or pay a local xbox modder they will do it for you.

Guys tried using a 500GB WD Laptop HDD to my Xbox 360 using the Xbox HDD Adapter, i was not able to see the HDD detected in the console. Any suggestions for the same. Is 500GB too much for the console.

@Ethan_Hunt , was busy in office work for sometime. Will try it out this weekend and update if i was able to do it successfully.
Or can i completely format the HDD as single drive into FAT32 and try it.

Or can i completely format the HDD as single drive into FAT32 and try it.

This won't work. Internal hard drives mapping works differently as opposed to USB ones. If you console was JTAG'd or RGH'd, then you could have just formatted it to FAT32, shoved it into the casing and it would be detected without any issues. But if none of these mods are present, you'll have to do it the old fashioned way listed above.

Back