Maxtor Basics 160Gb slim 2.5" external Hdd.

My good old transcend 1gb died on me :( . so with storage prices hitting rock bottom decided to get a 4gb pen drive .

so went down to the market and was quoted a price of 1200/- , was about to take it when my eyes fell on this one Maxtor basics 160gb slim 2.5" usb 2.0 external hdd . Lust took over and bought it ..:cool2: ;)

Damage 4550/-

plugged it in and instantly got recognised as Drive E: ..speed is good took about less than 10 min to transfer 21gb of data from my comp. Think all of u guys know that Maxtor has been aquired by seagate so guess the hdd inside is seagate..not gonna open so sooon;)

Attachments

• maxtor.jpg
    maxtor.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 142
i saw the maxtor external hdds @ the com IT expo... hm was quoted 7000.. not bad consider you`d pay around 5.5k for an internal one... so for those who'd look to buy an internal hdd and a casing could go for the external hdd!

Congrats... 4.5k for a 160GB 2.5" Portable HDD is quite good.

Party Monger said:
Off topic--Which 4gb one was 1200??

Flash memory is getting cheaper every day. Kingston 8 GB USB drive is selling for 2.8k locally even at a non-computer store. So, I expect the prices would be even lower at proper shops.

rocky_jvm said:
My good old transcend 1gb died on me :( . so with storage prices hitting rock bottom decided to get a 4gb pen drive .

so went down to the market and was quoted a price of 1200/- , was about to take it when my eyes fell on this one Maxtor basics 160gb slim 2.5" usb 2.0 external hdd . Lust took over and bought it ..:cool2: ;)

Damage 4550/-

plugged it in and instantly got recognised as Drive E: ..speed is good took about less than 10 min to transfer 21gb of data from my comp. Think all of u guys know that Maxtor has been aquired by seagate so guess the hdd inside is seagate..not gonna open so sooon;)

Hey can do me a favour? Plug it into a laptop with a standard USB cable - no miniUSB to 2xUSB splitter - and tell me if it's recognised and works fine.

Thanks.

^^No I meant, does it work with a standard miniUSB cable i.e. miniUSB on one side and a single A-type USB plug on the other. Or does it require dual A-type plugs in order to connect to the laptop? Check this image:

The last one is A-type USB.

Well in that case

1. I can get to connect to a laptop but dont have the cable u have specified ..well will check for sure if i can get my hands on one.

I think in all probability it should work mate..i think maxtor( err read seagate) has given the dual cable just for conviniance what say???

Back