CPU/Mobo Media Centre Set up

tryst

Disciple
Hi,

I will be upgrading my system and would like a mediacentre setup.Please suggest a processor & motherboard with HDMI and optical out for the sound to my AV receiver.The basic function will be watching movies and a little bit of gaming.

Thanks

Hi,

After reading through the forum i narrowed my search to the following

CPU - AMD 5600X2
MOTHERBOARD- Jetway 690g
RAM- 1 x 2 GB Kingston / Transcend 667 Mhz
HARD DISK- Seagate 500GB
ROM - Undecided (please suggest a dl writer)
MONITOR- Samsung 19" 920nw
CABINET- Antec / Coolermaster (Please suggest a media centre cabinet)SMPS- Antec 400w
KEYBOARD- logitech cordless
MOUSE- logitech cordless
SPEAKERS- Altec Lansing
UPS- APC 500VA

Please suggest sleek mediacentre cabinet ,any manufacturer preferably Antec or coolermaster and a decent dvd writer and most importantly a price tag for each component.

Thanks

^^^Consider the mobo with a HDMI out...

They're in AMD platforms and u're better off with an AMD solution since its a MEDIA center PC (AND strictly not gamin cos if its gamin, u're not doin justice with an AMD proccy)

Get at least a 500GB(or 500GB X2) 16MB drive frm Hitachi, Seagate...

2GB RAM is recommended(Needn be low latency ones); 4 GB is fine with Vista X64..

And u missed out on the main component of any media center PC: TV tuner card!!!

Get a TV tuner card from comps like Pixelview, Compro, Pixelview(tat offers a wide variety of VIVO options)

Get a small cabinet( mostly ur mobo is gona be a micro-ATX), but ensure its roomy and has a couple of fans(not too much), to make it breathe air!!!

Good to go!!!

amdlover said:
Hi,
Most important thing u should purchase is atleast 256MB Graphics card with 2 DVI ports.

Dude he aint gaming, so even a 7600GT or GS shud do fine... I'd go with a 2nd hand version...

Hi,

How about the following motherboard from ASUS

M2N-VM DVI

Please suggest a good media centre cabinet either from Antec or Coolermaster to go with it.

Thanks

Hi,

I recently purchased the Antec Fusion 430 cabinet and would like to set up the media centre pc with Biostar 690g mobo and AMD 6000X2 pocessor.It will go with the 2GB ram .Would like your candid comments on this setup.

Thanks

that certainly is a beautiful cabby :)

damage ?

you certainly dont need a 6000X2. 4800 or 5200 should be more than enough.

if you really need horsepower, get a 8500/8600GT :) they have the best purevideo decoder and adequate gaming performance :)

and maybe an E2160/4500 and a wifi mobo :D

when you build an HTPC, you want things as cool and silent as possible !

media center setup has to b power efficient...i dont see a 125watt 6000+ fitting in.....just add a 4200/4400/4800 brisbane(65w) ..

if u ask me....add a low end card like 8400gs instead of builtin video card..it will help u in the long run...u can even play games with decent fps with it..

get a nvidia 6100 based or 690v(gigabyte) mobo...shud cost u around 2.3k...add 2k for 8400gs....that shud b a nice setup..

Man, tat antec cabinet must've been a helluva damage..

Nevertheless..

Dude tat processor sucks power like hell.. Now its more or less a gaming pc from d amd stables.. Add a 8600gt ddr3 card, a power supply of 450-500w from coolermaster or powersafe or POV..

Now get a good tv tuner card and a 22" or 24" incher from d dell stables tat has a hdmi out..

Hope u've a good sound solution.. :)

Hi,

Thanks for all the advise.As for the price of Antec Cabi it came to 12.3K (incl. courier).So i understand that there is no point for 6000+ but 4800+ would suffice.On the biostar mobo can i place a decent enough graphics card later.Please suggest because i would need a optical out to go into the av receiver and the HDMI oiut to the plasma.Well thats for later.What about the Altec Lansing ATP3 to go with it as speajker system.

Thanks

Thanks again.

so what do you want us to suggest ?

you have a AV reciever ? then why do you need speakers ? if you want to connect to via digital, you'll need to get a card which has that output.

you seem to have already decided to get the biostar TA 690G

Get a low TDP CPU like the 4600+ or even the 4400+ will do. The main thing is that the CPU is in high use for HD stuff. Get a passively cooled Gigabyte 8600GT or 8500GT according to your budget and you have a cool n' quiet (pun intended!) MPC.

Its allways better to have a passive graphics card handle the HD content than a high power CPU with its whining fan at full speed. IMHO get the cheapest possible mobo as you won't be using the onboard graphics except for troubleshooting.

Also important as gannu_rox said, get a good TV Tuner and a good MPC remote.

couldn't get the biostar board but went with MSI K9AGM3 with 4800 dual core processor.How do you rate the MSI board in comparison to biostar?

Back