Media Player/Streamer for 1080p HDMI output with HDD

axis

Disciple
Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a Media Player/Streamer with 1080p HDMI and good codec support. I would prefer a media player with an internal HDD or possibility to add an internal HDD. I have a spare WD 500GiG SATA HDD lying around which I could use right now, and then replace it with a 2-3TB HDD once the HDD prices are reasonable again. I do have a couple of external HDDs(both 3.5" WD MyBooks 1TB USB2.0 and 2TB USB3.0), but would not want to use them with the Media Player and would prefer that the player has its own storage.

Other than that, Wired/Wireless N/W would be a plus, I do already have a LAN cable pulled up to my TV from the Router.

Budget is flexible, I just need something that is good. All my HDDs(internal and external) are from Western Digital and I have personally had a very good experience with WD. WD has a bunch of these out, so does ASUS, but I havent been able to decide on a specific model
<
. Would prefer WD, but am open to suggestions.

Thank you for your suggestions/comments in advance.

WDTV Hub already comes with HDD.

Go with Asus HD2, You can fit extra HDD inside & use it.

Does Asus HD2 have good codec support? Howz the UI as compared to WD mediaplayers?

Any Iomega DX or MX player users here? It does sound good at around 9K with 2TB inbuilt, only negative being it doesnt have any LAN port.

I have been using the WD TV Live Hub for over a year now & it's been fantastic [built in 1 TB] + external 1TB WD passport. No problems with a variety of codecs. I have a vast collection of mkv's (with a 16 GB one being the largest file). Playback is smooth and without any stutter or delay.

The biggest plus point is WD continuously update's it's firmware (easy to do it, my choice is thru a usb-drive rather than doing it Live). Internet playback of content also is amazing. Also each of my Movie's content too is (manually) updated from the Net (poster + brief intro + Cast). Resume-play is available for all movies/video's - no matter how many you have opened/paused/closed and switched off the system.

The only negative thing is that each time it's switched on - It takes 6 - 10 minutes to "read" all the content from the hard-disks.

HD2 has excellent support for all codecs, Has USB 3.0, 3 USB ports.

LAN, HDMI & Optical In

It even decodes 7.1 sound & plays awesome on HT.

You can download MoServices & start downloading torrent on the same HDD.

Thank you Terence and Praks. Even though I like WD, I am leaning more towards Asus HD2 here mainly because WD Live Hub retails for around 13K mostly mainly because of the overpriced 1TB HDD it packs.

This might sound like a stupid question, but do the browsers on these media players support multiple windows/tabs? Am asking because my ISP requires login through a webpage that has to be kept open throughout the internet session.

Back