Laptops Memory in use is always 2.93GB

In my Dell Inspiron N5010 laptop, I recently upgraded RAM from 3GB (2+1) to 8GB (2+2) but the usable memory always shows up as 2.93GB.

I checked BIOS and it shows 8GB memory attached and device manager also shows 8GB detected, but the usable RAM is always 2.93GB. Any reason why?

PS. I am using Win 7 Ultimate 32-bit. Can this be an issue?

Yup. I guess that's the cause. Happened with my work machine. They gave me a complete new machine with Win 7 64 bit version when I asked for a RAM upgrade from 4 to 8 GB.

Guys, I think as pointed out in above thread, it is 64-bit OS issue as I've tried everything else. Plus, I've also read that 32-bit OS caps the memory limit to max 2.93GB usable.

Though, I had to return the 4gb x 4gb memory sticks to the vendor as they were giving me blue screen on boot, even after I installed 64-Bit Win 7 (using my old RAM sticks). The RAM sticks he gave me was of Samsung and after searching online, all I can say is Samsung sticks are not compatible with Dell.

I'll be tring Hynix and Kingston tomorrow. Will update the status as soon as I do.

Back