Mental or psychiatric disorders detection during pregnancy

ashish

Adept
Need to know if there are any tests which can detect mental abnormalities and anomalies in the baby while still in womb during the pregnancy period.
Can such tests even forecast future occurrences of such abnormalities?
How much foolproof can such testes be?

Off-late seeing lot of kids and grownups who are mentally abnormal but they seem normal while at birth and at early stages of development per their parents and families.
So this worrying factor came to my mind.
I also saw parents with first child born abnormal while next child or children all born normal and outstanding in studies and physical activities. The wonder what went wrong with the first child?

I dont know if current lifestyle is to be blamed or what but starting a family seems a very tough situation further if something like this is to termed as normal.

Any medical member here who can clear the air.
I would have run to my doctor but given the situation my doctors themselves are caught in other geographical locations hence asking here rather than googling and finding something wrong.

AFAIK there are antenatal tests available for things like Down`s Syndrome etc. Is OP talking about any degenerative/ structural CNS disorder or purely psychiatric issues without any organic/structural lesion/ enzyme deficiencies/ chromosomal anomalies?
Post automatically merged:

These are the tests done commonly. I know of at least 2 doctors in this forum who possibly know better than me about these things.
Post automatically merged:

Last edited:
Off-late seeing lot of kids and grownups who are mentally abnormal but they seem normal while at birth and at early stages of development per their parents and families.
You have noted this anecdotally or is there any study done proving this hypothesis?

If you are talking about genetic disorders, then yes many can be detected by amniotic fluid testing. Karyotyping is done. But it's a costly affair.

Back