WP "Microsoft waives Windows Phone fees for Indian handset makers"

Interesting development, lets see whether these two can convince people to drop the stigma attached to buying rebranded phones.

On this board and in tech circles probably not, but micromax isn't #2 in the country for nothing.

I don't think Google can pressure Indian phone manufacturers like they did to Asus. They risk loosing sales numbers if they do so.
Microsoft gains in sales numbers with the dual boot option. How many users actually use it will be a mystery for some time. I like the move though. Maybe manufacturer's should give option of pre installing between windows, Android, Firefox and Ubuntu in future.

I don't think Google can pressure Indian phone manufacturers like they did to Asus. They risk loosing sales numbers if they do so.
Microsoft gains in sales numbers with the dual boot option. How many users actually use it will be a mystery for some time. I like the move though. Maybe manufacturer's should give option of pre installing between windows, Android, Firefox and Ubuntu in future.

Google can impart a lot of pressure if they wish to, especially with their services (Gapps). Manufacturers can go ahead with the Android/Windows hybrid but they won't get Google Services and for most of the common people there would be less interest in purchasing it if there is no Google Maps, Drive or Play Store installed on it. And that would decrease manufacturer's interest in creating one. Going to the custom ROM option is there, but that also means voiding the warranty.

However, this leaves OEMs to go Amazon / Nokia route too, which might not be a good news to Google.

I dont see the point in having a dual boot phone - especially since you dont turn it off at all.

Tablets are a different ball game. Would love to be able to experiment.

As far as Lava and the likes are concerned, MS just wants to foray into cheaper handsets and increase their marketshare, which i feel is an extremely risky move that could backfire.

Back