Mid Life Crisis - Galaxy Note Upgrade

artikle

Unknown Member
ex-Mod
So, my Note is facing a mid life crisis, with the new year approaching with "butterflies" and "odins" coming in. It feels perfectly fine now with everything thrown at it and the Note 2 features make it even more awesome. But it might not be able to cope up with the games coming out in 2013. So I am contemplating upgrading to a more future proof solution.
Note: The Note still has 6 months warranty left. My main usage is for gaming, browsing, movies, etc along with phone functions.

The options I considered are:

1. Selling it and buying the Note 2

The best android phone currently and can comfortably compete with the Snapdragon S4 and adreno combo from DNA etc. Will it be sufficiently futureproof?

2. Selling it after the new phones of 2013 release and choose from them

Maximal future proofing but might get less for my phone then and they would cost more. And would mean waiting till NOte3 which might be in Q3 2013 by when my phone's resale will go way down. Not so keen on wasting precious processing power and battery on pushing 1080p on a 5 inch screen(my opinion) and getting same performance as note2. Also I kind of prefer removable battery and expandable memory.

3. Keep the Note and buy a Nexus 7

Google love all thorugh. Dont trust Tegra 3 as a future proof solution as it might fall behind other quad cores easily due to unoptimized games and weak hardware.

4. Do Nothing It will be alright for another year.But resale would take a very hard hit with limited chance to upgrade.

Max additional budget ~15k

Please give your suggestions and advice. Thanks :)

EDIT: I most probably will not be able to go back to any phone smaller than the note.

Option 2 sounds better. If not the 5" 1080p phones, you'd also have the Galaxy SIV and other options, surely one of those would have better performance than your n7000 for its screen size.

Thanks for your suggestions guys. :)
Aces170 @comp@addict manu1991

Im aware of the JB Premium Suite and Im actually using the leaked roms since some months along with CM 10.1.
My only problem is the resale value of my phone which would fall by then and the high launch prices of the new phones. (I was furious when a shop said they would give me 15k for my six month old device IF I buy a Note 2 for 37k and all shops here are in some kind of syndicate or something :( )

And on second thought, Im actually pretty much satisfied with the Note and dont see myself wanting anything more from a phone. So I want to consider the option of a tablet as then I would be able to game without the worry of not saving enough battery to use the phone through the day. Or is it a not so good idea?

[RANT]I hate nvidia for making such awesome games like Dark Meadow, Wild Blood, Puddle etc Tegra only and make tegra have such low powered gpu. Cant play some of the best looking games on other tablets and phones and cant play non tegra games(99%) on tegra tablets. :([/RANT]

What non tegra games? every game that I have tried seems to run fine on my nexus 7.

Getting a tablet would be the best option. you can game without running out of battery on your phone plus the larger screen would be better for games like Fifa.

just wait for the next generation of tablets from companies like ainol/onda. they would have pretty decent hardware at cheap prices. Onda is using the Allwinner A31 (eight core GPU) in their upcoming tablets. ainol would do something similar as well. the indian "resellers" (karbonn/micromax etc.) would probably follow suit. Already a company called iberry is releasing a 9.7" tablet with 3G and calling support and a quad core Exynos 4412 chip with 2GB RAM (same as Note II) for ~15k

@manu1991 games like NOVA 3 for one are considerably laggy on the Nexus 7 unless over clocked. And Tegra chips usually age a lot faster dude to most games or apps being more optimised for other chipsets or the different coding needed for tegra combined with its weak hardware. I have had this experience with my Xoom(tegra 2) which I still have. And regarding the iberry tablet, Yes I noticed it too, but the screen is kind of low res compared to even their own 7 inch tablet and developer support would be a problem. No doubt it offers amazing VFM but I rather buy something with dev support so that it would last longer. Of course Ill keep that as an option. Im kind of tempted to buy a Nexus 7 but Im afraid it will die a premature death like the Xoom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guys. This is urgent(or is it?). I have finally(almost) decided it is going to be a tablet to compliment my phone, which leaves me with the following options Nexus 7, iPad 2, iPad 3, Nexus 10, my main criteria being spending the least amount possible to get a future proof solution. I generally donot like apple products have currently have none with me(though I used an iphone 4s for a month), but the current iPad 3 price being less than the iPad 2 will open up some interesting seconds sales(though Im not sure I want to go this way as I kind of hate them). And for the Nexus 10 I need to save up more. Need to take a decision fast since I have an offer for a Nexus 7.

- - - Updated - - -

Also can someone address my concerns in the post above? Thanks :)

manu1991 games like NOVA 3 for one are considerably laggy on the Nexus 7 unless over clocked. And Tegra chips usually age a lot faster dude to most games or apps being more optimised for other chipsets or the different coding needed for tegra combined with its weak hardware. I have had this experience with my Xoom(tegra 2) which I still have. And regarding the iberry tablet, Yes I noticed it too, but the screen is kind of low res compared to even their own 7 inch tablet and developer support would be a problem. No doubt it offers amazing VFM but I rather buy something with dev support so that it would last longer. Of course Ill keep that as an option. Im kind of tempted to buy a Nexus 7 but Im afraid it will die a premature death like the Xoom.​

Guy any other suggestion regarding the above quoted post?
Aces170 msankadi Where did you guys order your Nexus 10? How much did it cost? What is the capacity? What about warranty? I have heard iBhejo pays for return shipping for warranty claim.
Which is the best way to buy a Nexus 10 now? Is it justified compared to Nexus 7 with respect to gaming age?
Does anyone want to sell their Nexus 10?(Dont shoot me) :)

- - - Updated - - -

And do I have a huge advantage with the Nexus 10 compared to the 7 with respect to performance? I read the Note 10.1 performs equally or better due to the Nexus 10 pushing those many pixels.(Of course 10.1 has far far low res screen)

Hi

I bought my n10 straight from the play store and got it here through a friend of mine...in terms of performance i would say it is the best in terms of movies...but the games dont seem to be optimized for such a high res as yet...it is a 16gb version which I have but I got a 64gb usb stick which I use with it...it cost me 450 bucks including shipping and taxes...and no I wouldnt sell it for anything :D:D

Thanks for replying msankadi :)
msankadi
Aces170 ALPHA17 Do you guys think 26.5K for a Nexus 10 without box, with the front and back protective cover intact is a good deal? Also can anyone comment on ibhejo's free return shipping for warranty policy? Also when you mean games arent optimized for the res, do you mean pixellated graphics or lag due to pushing those many pixels? Also did you experience any thermal throttling or light bleed? What about battery life? Thanks :)

@msankadi @Aces170 @ALPHA17 Do you guys think 26.5K for a Nexus 10 without box, with the front and back protective cover intact is a good deal? Also can anyone comment on ibhejo's free return shipping for warranty policy? Also when you mean games arent optimized for the res, do you mean pixellated graphics or lag due to pushing those many pixels? Also did you experience any thermal throttling or light bleed? What about battery life? Thanks.

Respected Artikle, thanks for tagging me but I am a lousy person in the tablet department. My maximum exposure has been to the Nexus7 and the Apple iPad 2 and I am biased towards the former. So I really cannot give you a definitive 'Yes' OR 'No' that you desire.

And again the pricing is something I do not keep an eye on so cannot pass any statements.

Wishing you and all on this thread a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Respected Artikle, thanks for tagging me but I am a lousy person in the tablet department. My maximum exposure has been to the Nexus7 and the Apple iPad 2 and I am biased towards the former. So I really cannot give you a definitive 'Yes' OR 'No' that you desire.

And again the pricing is something I do not keep an eye on so cannot pass any statements.

Wishing you and all on this thread a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year. Cheers!
^Sorry sir, tagged you because you appear to be omniscient from what I see around the forum. Thanks for taking the time to reply :) And Happy New Year!

Thanks for replying msankadi :)
msankadi
Aces170 ALPHA17 Do you guys think 26.5K for a Nexus 10 without box, with the front and back protective cover intact is a good deal? Also can anyone comment on ibhejo's free return shipping for warranty policy? Also when you mean games arent optimized for the res, do you mean pixellated graphics or lag due to pushing those many pixels? Also did you experience any thermal throttling or light bleed? What about battery life? Thanks :)
My Nexus 10 did not ship, google had supply issues again :| I have no clue on ibhejo's return policy. But frankly speaking do not think its worth it, you would be better off buying an IPAD with Indian warranty. Better tablet apps, much better games, slightly better build quality. The Android advantage is a much open eco system, if you want to watch any media files you can play them directly. And no itunes headache.

XDA has people who have experienced light bleed, frankly speaking the issue is not a big deal for majority of the population. However there are stray cases where light bleed has been excessive but Google has agreed to replace those screens.

Back