Migrating from Canon EOS to Sony Alpha ... need help

Ramadhir Singh

Wasseypur
Adept
lifelong canon user really comfortable with the canon ecosystem. need help in moving to sony.

Q1. Canon EOS utility alternative for Sony ?
We plug canon camera, EOS utility appear and it import all images as per user defined logical folder, shorted by year.month date, etc. discard all duplicates, set copyright information in metadata, etc
Looking for something similar if possible.

Earlier i was mitigating this with dumping the card in windows system & running a batch file - which was auto moving the files to my defined date based logical folder in NAS.
Now i don't have any windows pc .. how i perform this organisation, Ideally looking for hierarchy:
Camera name --> year --> month --> Date --> <files>

Q2. Best way to charge Sony camera ?
canon comes with external charger, where we remove battery and use that charger.
Sony is more like mobile phone plug usb cable to charge... Im not very comfortable in this setup. specially with 2 battery set.
Any suggestion to buy good quality external charger? will be even good if i charge 2 battery simultaneously.

I am having both canon and a Sony A7R3. A7R3 do come with an external charger to charge batteries outside.
Exact model number is ILCE-7M4, purchased outside India, nothing came with it.
Except an AC adapter. (pic attached) to charge in-camera.
IMG_20221002_113550547_rez.jpg

i have seen may yt unboxing of this camera it doesnt come with any charger.

How you are managing/organising your images ?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yeah Sony gives an "external" charger in India, I have also got a RAVpower dual charger which came with batteries and can be charged using a power bank. The Keeping the battery in camera and then charging is a pain. (Excessive heat) but works really well when filming stuff.

https://imagingedge.sony.net/en-us/ie-desktop.html is the alternative for EOS Utility on the Sony side. Though I have never installed it as I manually copy cards and use my camera primarily for video.

https://electronics.sony.com/imagin...terchangeable-lens-camera-accessories/p/bcqz1 is the default NP-FZ100 charger that comes with Cameras bought in India

Yeah Sony gives an "external" charger in India, I have also got a RAVpower dual charger which came with batteries and can be charged using a power bank. The Keeping the battery in camera and then charging is a pain. (Excessive heat) but works really well when filming stuff.

https://imagingedge.sony.net/en-us/ie-desktop.html is the alternative for EOS Utility on the Sony side. Though I have never installed it as I manually copy cards and use my camera primarily for video.

https://electronics.sony.com/imagin...terchangeable-lens-camera-accessories/p/bcqz1 is the default NP-FZ100 charger that comes with Cameras bought in India
Thank you so much for your suggestion. I shall try the software when i get back in home.

Apparently, used this camera for very first time recently apart from occasional testing.
It seems, I definitely need to get extra batteries as well. this camera is super power hungry compared to my older canon.. i shoot mostly photos its battery is exhausting after 2-3hr usage.

Amazon India is full of cheap and fake stuffs,, don't want to risk battery and charger form amazon for sure. Any suggestion for a reliable online shop ?
Else I will pick something up from Chimalgi, when i travel Hyderabad later this year.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your suggestion. I shall try the software when i get back in home.

Apparently, used this camera for very first time recently apart from occasional testing.
It seems, I definitely need to get extra batteries as well. this camera is super power hungry compared to my older canon.. i shoot mostly photos its battery is exhausting after 2-3hr usage.

Amazon India is full of cheap and fake stuffs,, don't want to risk battery and charger form amazon for sure. Any suggestion for a reliable online shop ?
Else I will pick something up from Chimalgi, when i travel Hyderabad later this year.

FotoCentre, Future Forward, HeyJimmy.

Have got my stuff from fotocenter and so have good review on them. HeyJimmy is also a good place to shop :)

Back