WP Migrating from Lumia 520 to Moto E - 'Need Help'

Hi all,
I got my mom a new moto e to replace her lumia 520.
the problem is with transferring her contacts and messages from the nokia to the moto.
the nokia 'transfer my data' app can only import contacts not export them. windows phone has no way to transfer anything to the sim (it doesn't even have a native file explorer/manager!)
the moto migrate app can't seem to get anything from the lumia even though both have been successfully paired via bluetooth.
so far only the google contacts have made it through (11 out of some 75+ contacts) as majority of it is synced with the pointless microsoft live account (xyz@live.com) the password of which has been forgotten. Now i'm aware that there is always the option to plug the phone into a pc and wrestle a csv file out of it but i just wanted to know if there was an easier way? like a cross-platform app or something? it can't be this much hassle can it?

also, is it just me or is windows phone extremely user unfriendly? can't seem to find granular settings to anything! is there a 'show advanced options' i need to enable? it wont even let me tinker with the bluetooth visibility. the whole os feels like a chinese rolex knockoff version of the ios.

Goto Settings>Accounts>Add Account>Email
Add your Microsoft account
There is an option to sync contacts.
You should be sorted with this.

Edit - I haven't tried this personally. But IMO this should work.

Last edited:
I have been a Stand alone Windows phone user since the CE,2003SE to Window6.5 companies varrying from imate to HTC, Dopod, BenQ, Gigabyte, Asus to Samsung.The Good old outlook always worked for me or there are lots of third party PIM backup softwares. But, Since Nokia has tied up with Microsoft, the charm of Windows phone as a PocketPC has gone forever and important files like contacts and messeges are hardly compatible and transferable to other phone(s) with different OS/plateform! :arghh: if you need to transfer only the contacts then, only way left in this situation is manually noting down on a paper and enter on ther motoE with Android.Google Sysc is really good for migration. my first Android an Experia S v2.3 gave me a good impression of Google Sync by restoring even the dialed number to my another android Fujitsu F10DArrow-X. phone. please let other experinced users too suggest you.
Hi all,
I got my mom a new moto e to replace her lumia 520.
the problem is with transferring her contacts and messages from the nokia to the moto.
the nokia 'transfer my data' app can only import contacts not export them. windows phone has no way to transfer anything to the sim (it doesn't even have a native file explorer/manager!)
the moto migrate app can't seem to get anything from the lumia even though both have been successfully paired via bluetooth.
so far only the google contacts have made it through (11 out of some 75+ contacts) as majority of it is synced with the pointless microsoft live account (xyz@live.com) the password of which has been forgotten. Now i'm aware that there is always the option to plug the phone into a pc and wrestle a csv file out of it but i just wanted to know if there was an easier way? like a cross-platform app or something? it can't be this much hassle can it?

also, is it just me or is windows phone extremely user unfriendly? can't seem to find granular settings to anything! is there a 'show advanced options' i need to enable? it wont even let me tinker with the bluetooth visibility. the whole os feels like a chinese rolex knockoff version of the ios.

+1 to what mrmash said. It should definately work.

You are going through so much trouble looking for different route to get the contacts. Should be easier just to hit the forgot password key of the live account and recover your password.

On the contrary, it is one of the simplest/intuitive mobile OSes I have come across. There are no advanced settings. When you are in the bluetooth settings page, the device is automatically visible. You don't need to switch on anything separately.
Like Android, WP syncs with one of the microsoft accounts, as already mentioned by @mrmash. You can either add the same email in your Moto E, or export the contacts from the MS account, and import in your gmail account.

For contacts, sync with MS Account, then export to Gmail.

For SMS, there should a way too, but dont hope too much.

OT - one person had an issue with contact sync, made a Gmail ID and no issues since.

On the contrary, it is one of the simplest/intuitive mobile OSes I have come across. There are no advanced settings. When you are in the bluetooth settings page, the device is automatically visible. You don't need to switch on anything separately.
Like Android, WP syncs with one of the microsoft accounts, as already mentioned by @mrmash. You can either add the same email in your Moto E, or export the contacts from the MS account, and import in your gmail account.
sounds easier to recover MS account like hotmail's forgotten password but, it is as easy as recovering Google's gmail password.I've lost my Hotmail account's password back in 2005 and couldn't recover it even after several tries :bag:

If you are looking for an app,give this a try
PhoneSwappr Transfer Contacts
PhoneSwappr securely transfers your entire contact list – intact and uncorrupted - from one device to another, even if your devices operate on different platforms. No logins, sign-ups or sync cables required.

PhoneSwappr sends your contacts to the cloud from your old phone and will also get your contacts from the cloud to your new device regardless of the platform. The transfer happens almost instantly over the air and is intuitive, secure and encrypted. Data is deleted within seven days after transfer so no permanent record or copies remain. Your personal data remains your personal data.

In case you want to try the CSV way
How to transfer your Windows Phone contacts to an Android Phone

Back