[Mini log] Custom cooler for new router

ze_cook

Disciple
After the sudden death of my old router (n5100 mini pc with 4x i226), bought another one from an Alibaba seller, this time Alder lake "e-core" only n100 (2x performance, same wattage) mini pc, with same 4x i226 (wanted same nics as pfsense can be a b**ch about drivers if nics change).

First impression wasn't great, cooling was inferior to my old router (smaller fins/thermal mass), and the seller did not provide the custom sata power connector (this meant I now required an m.2 drive, running the old sata ssd from an USB enclosure now). Plugging it in, pfsense booted right up and started working as if nothing had happened. Sensors reported an average of 60c+ CPU temperature (same as old router, even with a more efficient chip under same load), and with the recent death of the old router, this worried me.

1000181692.png

Decided to cool the system using active cooling, ordered 2x Arctic p12 non pwm fans from ninjadog (legit, surprisingly :p , fans arrived fine in a sealed package). I have a 3d printer, and a digital slide calipers. Took the measurements of the bottom plate, and after 5 iterations, I finally had a replacement bottom plate with a fan hole and screw holes in correct position. The arctic fans wouldn't fit though, and I was surprised as I took the dimensions from arctic 120mm fan design doc (https://support.arctic.de/products/p12-pwm-pst-co/techdocs/120mm_fan-Mounting_hole_pattern.pdf), which specifies a 108mm screw hole distance. This turned out to be incorrect, as the proper distance is 105mm. Incorporated these changes, and the final design was ready.

Made 2 plates, one to act as the bottom plate of the case, another acting as a bottom plate of the fan, with the fan sandwiched in between.

1000182770.jpg
1000182771.jpg

2nd pic with the original plate (original plate looks smaller due to perspective)

Chose 40mm M4 screws to have some left-over length, will act as a stand elevating the case.

1000182778.jpg
1000182779.jpg

Mounted the contraption onto the router, and it works.
1000182793.png

Average temp reduction of ~20c.

Last edited:
After the sudden death of my old router (n5100 mini pc with 4x i226), bought another one from an Alibaba seller, this time Alder lake "e-core" only n100 (2x performance, same wattage) mini pc, with same 4x i226 (wanted same nics as pfsense can be a b**ch about drivers if nics change).
Query - You are exhaust or intake with fans ? Meant blowing or taking hot air out

Back