Car & Bike Mini pickup truck recommendations.

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
I need a mini pickup truck for carrying farming equipment and other heavy things. Distance to travel to and fro would be ~60km every alternate day.
Due to budget issues I'm going to buy one in used condition.
I've been looking for TATA Ace XL and Maruti Suzuki Super Carry for the last 2-3 weeks. There is also the smaller Tata Ace Zip model.
I don't know how much I'm going to carry so I cannot comment on maximum load capacity. But I would like to carry it to the brim if possible. Can someone who is well versed with automobiles please advise?
I like the Ace Zip. It's small and affordable but I'm worried it may be too small.
How much do brand new ones of these cost locally after taxes and registrations? Google results are not reliable I think. Also how much would a 5yo of these trucks approximately cost?

Last edited:
lol @rdst_1 what did you end up buying?
2020 struck before I could buy anything.

You need to know your exact requirements before buying a commercial vehicle like this. Like what types of load, their dimesions and weights are very important deciding factors. Also important are the elevation gradients that you will have to achieve.

I am even considering an e-rickshaw for my delivery services and later on buy a pick-up truck like Isuzu Dmax.

So let us know what you are looking to transport and that will help in deciding loading bay size and also the vehicle.

Edit - For a commercial vehicle you will have to get it passed and pay taxes every year. For new vehicles, you usually don't have to get them passed (fitness test) for the first 3 years (check local state laws for this number). This usually involves some bribes and 1-2 days of your time every year. Prices of the vehicles are available on official sites.
Add to that insurance and road tax for one year and that should be your eventual cost.
Also, for a new vehicle, it will be delivered as a cab and a chassis. You will have to get the loading bay/body built on your own, or even the company will have an option for the same.

For the farming equipment that you want to transport do you know the dimensions. That will give you the least width and length of the loading bay you need.

Last edited:
You need to know your exact requirements before buying a commercial vehicle like this. Like what types of load, their dimesions and weights are very important deciding factors. Also important are the elevation gradients that you will have to achieve.

So let us know what you are looking to transport and that will help in deciding loading bay size and also the vehicle.
I cannot give exact numbers but it needs to be as long as the TATA Ace XL. The smaller Ace is too small.
First thing which I will be carrying around would be the farming equipment and machinery. The others are would be just feeds and the small farm animals (no cows) and their meat. And occasionally whatever a client requests. It will be just feeds and meat 90% of the time. Each feed bag weights about 40-50 kg.

Hmmm. Wouldn't you be better off just hiring a vehicle and buying in bulk. I am guessing transporting the farming equipment won't be a regular job, done every alternate day. For the 45-50 kg feed bags, just buy them in bulk and get them delivered at your place.

If you still need to buy one just buy whichever ones have good service or mechanics available in the area. Buying the models which are already popular is also a good way to go as the local mechanics will have good knowledge of them. So anything from Tata, Mahindra and even the Super Carry will be good enough. All of these commercial vehicles are built to be overloaded in India and you will soon know by trial and error, or just by asking the local guys, how much load the vehicles can actually take. For example, Mahindra lists their pick-up to carry anywhere from 1-1.75T but in actual usage, they are regularly used to carry 2-2.5T everyday.

Hmmm. Wouldn't you be better off just hiring a vehicle and buying in bulk. I am guessing transporting the farming equipment won't be a regular job, done every alternate day. For the 45-50 kg feed bags, just buy them in bulk and get them delivered at your place
I thought about it but transport cost is way too high.

Can someone tell me how these wheels are? This is the Gold model. The tires look a bit small. Will it be able to handle the max load it advertises?
tata ace wheel Screenshot.png

@rdst_1 btw do you know the total price (excluding registration) for the Jeeto and Ace Mega XL locally in your region? In your thread you mentioned 4.5-5L for the Mega XL. I want to know if these are the actual prices locally or online.

Last edited:
Tires will be good enough not only for the advertised load but overloading as well. You will be driving these vehicles very slowly and carefully compared to a passenger vehicle.

The Tata prices I mentioned would be online prices that I got from Tata Ace website. I only visited the local Mahindra showroom and price was same as shown online. Only difference is the local showrooms know about the ongoing discounts and offers.

Tires will be good enough not only for the advertised load but overloading as well. You will be driving these vehicles very slowly and carefully compared to a passenger vehicle.

The Tata prices I mentioned would be online prices that I got from Tata Ace website. I only visited the local Mahindra showroom and price was same as shown online. Only difference is the local showrooms know about the ongoing discounts and offers.
That's good to hear. Thanks. I'll pay a visit to my local dealers when I get the time.

Someone in my vicinity was looking in 2k19 and he nailed on Isuzu I think.
He is into vegetable supply and agriculture biz.

Last edited:
If you meant the pickup truck then Isuzu's a full sized pick up truck. Way out of budget. One of my relatives has one. I think it's overkill for that guy selling veggies.

Have you explored the option of renting than owning one? It might work out a lot cheaper in the short term as you have to do away with the driver, insurance, maintenance, etc.

Have you explored the option of renting than owning one?
Yes I considered it. But owners seem to be concerned about the driving and general purpose.
I'm currently in talks with some local sellers for their used ones. I'm looking for the Mega XL but I can't find that one. Most are Zips and Zip XL.

Back