mobo and proccy in 11-12k .... advice please

kartikoli

Skilled
looking for system upgrade

now i want to upgrade my mobo and processor only [currently have micro ATX mobo ]

currently i have compaq 3250IL desktop , mobo 256MB shared VRAM and core2duo 2.2GH which i will give to my younger brother

now i want only mobo and proccy in 11-12K please advice (quad core)

edit: i am a gamer but i dont believe in overclocking
i have 9800GT + coolermaster 500W SMPS etc....
will buy 4GB DDR3 RAM extra

AMD PhenomII X2 555BE - 5.2k( You can unlock this to quad if you are lucky)

How much RAM do you have? Guess its DDR-2. So if you do not wish to upgrade to DDR-3 RAM then get this,

Biostar TA785GE - 3.7k/Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H - 4.4k (both DDR2 ones)

In case you decide to upgrade to DDRIII ones then get the

Gigabyte MA785GMT-US2H~5.5k (DDRIII, AM3) -> You can use these with even the upcoming Thuban (6 core CPU's from AMD for about 10k~)

Mephistopheles said:
What percentage chance is there to unlock it to quad core?

At lest ~60% i guess. May be even higher. There are 3-4 threads in TE CPU-MOBO section about unlocked 555BE's.

It is the initial batches which have the max chance of unlocking. I haven't come across posts/ threads by 555BE owners saying they couldn't unlock it in TE yet.

Might be a risk though, it might not unlock.

Also it depends on your needs, do you want a quad core? A quad would be more future proof compared to a dual core. In this case an Athlon X4 620/630 would be a better choice.

Also about overclocking, what do you mean by you dont believe in it? ;) Overclocking can give you a significant boost in performance for no extra cost. Whats to lose??

krishnandu said:
I'll suggest to go as DarkAngel suggested but for the DDR3 Mobo. And buy Transcend 2GB DDR3 @ 2.5k

AVOID TRANSCEND PRODUCTS!! buy better performing ram by paying a bit more--get corsair/ocz/mushkin/gskill.

Phenom II 555 BE + 785G (DDR2) if you don't want to jump onto the DDR3 bandwagon...

I don't quite get it... In your question you said, 256 mb shared Vram which means onboard GPU) and hen you said you have a 9800 GT... Have you purchased one????

guys i have never used AMD upto now so not aware of them please elaborate a little while replying
DarkAngel said:
AMD PhenomII X2 555BE - 5.2k( You can unlock this to quad if you are lucky)

How much RAM do you have? Guess its DDR-2. So if you do not wish to upgrade to DDR-3 RAM then get this,

Biostar TA785GE - 3.7k/Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H - 4.4k (both DDR2 ones)

In case you decide to upgrade to DDRIII ones then get the

Gigabyte MA785GMT-US2H~5.5k (DDRIII, AM3) -> You can use these with even the upcoming Thuban (6 core CPU's from AMD for about 10k~)

i will go for DDR3 will buy 4GB ddr3 RAM extra about proccy i dont understand what is unlocking .... please elaborate (i would like to have quad core)

mobo : would go with ddr3 support with taking in mind for future upgrade may be after 3 yrs :D

krishnandu said:
I'll suggest to go as DarkAngel suggested but for the DDR3 Mobo. And buy Transcend 2GB DDR3 @ 2.5k
i will get 4GB ram extra ... sorry missed it in a first post ... now edited

DarkAngel said:
At lest ~60% i guess. May be even higher. There are 3-4 threads in TE CPU-MOBO section about unlocked 555BE's.

It is the initial batches which have the max chance of unlocking. I haven't come across posts/ threads by 555BE owners saying they couldn't unlock it in TE yet.
unlocking :S

hunt3r said:
Might be a risk though, it might not unlock.

Also it depends on your needs, do you want a quad core? A quad would be more future proof compared to a dual core. In this case an Athlon X4 620/630 would be a better choice.

Also about overclocking, what do you mean by you dont believe in it? ;) Overclocking can give you a significant boost in performance for no extra cost. Whats to lose??
i rip movies, play games so i believe i need a quad core at-least

overclocking @ never did it so not aware abt it much ....

i have a branded PC so i haven't fiddled with it upto now may be with u guys help :D if needed

St.John said:
Phenom II 555 BE + 785G (DDR2) if you don't want to jump onto the DDR3 bandwagon...

I don't quite get it... In your question you said, 256 mb shared Vram which means onboard GPU) and hen you said you have a 9800 GT... Have you purchased one????

my mobo support 256 MB onboard GPU (just to give an idea abt my current mobo)and i already have 9800GT (which was faulty and have sent back for replacement 3 months have passed and still no convincing reply from the shop-owner :mad:)

edit: please dont buy from ITWARES.com , he has a worst service and very unprofessional now i am left with no option but to file a complain in consumer forum :death:

edited few details in first post

how is this mobo

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=exJL00uovTJaDqxR&templete=2

i am getting core i3 + this mobo for 11250 INR

Intel Desktop Board DH55TC - Overview

how is it ??????

kartikoli said:
i am getting phenome 2 x2 555 be + gigabyte mobo for 11.5K in lucknow

GA-MA785GMT-US2H (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification

as was suggested earlier , do i need to get a cooler as well if i try to unlock my proccy to quad core

secondly if i unlock my proccy then will my warranty still intact ?????

i will make an order today hopefully

which ram should i buy 2GB DDR3 1800 (OC)/1666/1333/1066 MHz :confused:

Since you don't plan to overclock.. the stock cooler should do just fine even if you unclock the rest 2 cores..

Yes, the warranty would still be intact because, I think the CPU would have unlocked itself for your motherboard only, on any other mobo it would still show up as a dual core since it hasn't been unlocked for that mobo.. and anyways it is almost impossible to find out if the CPU has been overclocked or cores have been unlocked just by having a look at it... (until you put an insane value for vcore and endup frying the CPU altogether :tongue::tongue:)..

Anyways the combo that you are getting is pretty decent... Phenom II's are the best VFM performers today....:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

St.John said:
Since you don't plan to overclock.. the stock cooler should do just fine even if you unclock the rest 2 cores..

Yes, the warranty would still be intact because, I think the CPU would have unlocked itself for your motherboard only, on any other mobo it would still show up as a dual core since it hasn't been unlocked for that mobo.. and anyways it is almost impossible to find out if the CPU has been overclocked or cores have been unlocked just by having a look at it... (until you put an insane value for vcore and endup frying the CPU altogether :tongue::tongue:)..

Anyways the combo that you are getting is pretty decent... Phenom II's are the best VFM performers today....:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

thanks very much friend repped u ... oops i dont think i have enough rep power though :p

ordered yesterday proccy + mobo

what abt RAM[2GB] ... which 1 should i buy 1666/1333/1066 MHz and which company

kartikoli said:
thanks very much friend repped u ... oops i dont think i have enough rep power though :p

Congratulations. Look for help on TE with the unlocking process, although you should be able to figure it out yourself.
Since you won't be overclocking, 1333Mhz should serve you well, although if you have the budget for it get a higher clocked kit with better timings. I would recommend G.Skill's products.

PS: You mentioned in your opening post that you "don't believe in overclocking". Does that mean you don't approve of it or do you not believe in its existence? :S XD . Anyway, you will soon own a Black Edition(that's what the BE stands for) processor that was specially built for effortless overclocking, so it would do you good to read/look it up to get a fresh perspective/knowledge and some free performance. =D

kartikoli said:

Thanks Buddy....:):)

1333 MHz DDR3 should just do fine... Since you won't be overclocking, Kingston is the brand to go for.... VFM and rock solid for stock systems...

GSkill DDR3 if your perspective about overclocking changes anytime in future....;);)

Amien said:
Congratulations. Look for help on TE with the unlocking process, although you should be able to figure it out yourself.
Since you won't be overclocking, 1333Mhz should serve you well, although if you have the budget for it get a higher clocked kit with better timings. I would recommend G.Skill's products.

PS: You mentioned in your opening post that you "don't believe in overclocking". Does that mean you don't approve of it or do you not believe in its existence? :S XD . Anyway, you will soon own a Black Edition(that's what the BE stands for) processor that was specially built for effortless overclocking, so it would do you good to read/look it up to get a fresh perspective/knowledge and some free performance. =D
thanks ... it looks like that i have started liking TE now , i am thankful to my fellow MOD @ other forum for giving me link of TE
i own a branded PC [compaq] so i never played with hardware but now i think i should do some research on it as well :)

@ overclocking i have never overclocked so i am not aware of it ... simple
will get in touch with overclocking mates

St.John said:
Thanks Buddy....:):)

1333 MHz DDR3 should just do fine... Since you won't be overclocking, Kingston is the brand to go for.... VFM and rock solid for stock systems...

GSkill DDR3 if your perspective about overclocking changes anytime in future....;);)
i think i wont be getting gskill RAM in lucknow.

how much will it cost :huh: [2GB]

St.John said:

itwares rahul is a ass h@le ..... i got palit 9800GT from him and returned it bak for replacement when found faulty . 3 months have passed and i have not heard a proper response from him

had a heated argument with him and now planning a complaint in consumer forum .... in simple words he is a b@sterd i can say even worst

Back