Modular switches for home that last long

6pack

ex-Mod
Right now, these are the exact type of modular switches that are put in my house and available in market.

Hi Fi Modular Switch - Pack of 20 https://amzn.eu/d/5nvAfaQ

These are the worst switches i came across. New one just installed this week went soft and won't close. Same is happening to other installed switches and main problem is they remain in ON position if they go bad. So not safe. And these are BIS certified. What a hot pos without any safety built in.

So I'm looking for normal modular switches that are long lasting and have safety features built in. I don't want the switch being hot/live if they fail. Searching on Amazon, even anchor has such switches that are "normally open". If I'm mistaken then it means that these switches are always in ON position if they fail?

The old switches never failed for 15-20 years. Now the new ones last just days it seems.

Some discussion on this topic,

Don't buy switches online. Prices are high on Amazon. Get them locally. I got Schneider Livia at 68% discount + GST. Though I'm yet to use them.

If you're changing switches then you'll have to change faceplates too as these are brand/model specific.

And don't put any faith in BIS, ISI, PUC etc. They don't mean anything.

Some discussion on this topic,

Don't buy switches online. Prices are high on Amazon. Get them locally. I got Schneider Livia at 68% discount + GST. Though I'm yet to use them.

If you're changing switches then you'll have to change faceplates too as these are brand/model specific.

And don't put any faith in BIS, ISI, PUC etc. They don't mean anything.
Local shops don't keep branded items like anchor etc. They keep these rubbish brands since they get more margin on sales. Even the big shops keep rubbish brands because customers ask for them to save money. I've seen a customer who was debating with shop keeper because he didn't want sintex tank because it cost 500-600 more than the crappy off brand he wanted to buy. I always used to ask for branded stuff like Bosch, Makita, B&D, Anchor etc but gave up since they don't keep it. Only way for me to get these is from Amazon unfortunately.

"normally open" - should mean 'OFF' position
Oh, thanks for the correction. I thought it was always on because after failure, the switch was always on whether it was in on or off position.

I haven't had any good luck with anchor. They cheaped out every since it was bought by panasonic.
You need to get switch plate that match the screw pattern of your wall junction box(located in the wall). Since not all sizes are the same. Depending on that you have to choose the brand and model. If the socket is a 3 pin and especially 15A socket, the plate needs to be secured by all 4 screws.
I would stick with legrand, Schneider. Lately every switch manufacturer has done some sort of cost cutting but some are still better.

I haven't had any good luck with anchor. They cheaped out every since it was bought by panasonic.
You need to get switch plate that match the screw pattern of your wall junction box(located in the wall). Since not all sizes are the same. Depending on that you have to choose the brand and model. If the socket is a 3 pin and especially 15A socket, the plate needs to be secured by all 4 screws.
I would stick with legrand, Schneider. Lately every switch manufacturer has done some sort of cost cutting but some are still better.
I learnt a near trick for that. Some junction boxes in my ceiling have broken or cement filled screw holes. So I got idea from YouTube that just take some mseal putty and put a Rawl plug in that putty and stick it where you want the screw holes to be. Works perfectly. Didn't budge one bit. Set like concrete after a day even in plastic or metal box.

I learnt a near trick for that. Some junction boxes in my ceiling have broken or cement filled screw holes. So I got idea from YouTube that just take some mseal putty and put a Rawl plug in that putty and stick it where you want the screw holes to be. Works perfectly. Didn't budge one bit. Set like concrete after a day even in plastic or metal box.
Could you a post a link to that You Tube video please as i need to do the same.

I don't think Anchor should be counted as a good brand these days. My recent (last 4-5 years) experience with Anchor products has been underwhelming to say the least.

I just got 5 Anchor Roma modular switches and 2 Anchor modular MCB. If the new switches fail I'll replace them with the MCB. Got the switches for around 35 each and MCB for 137 each.

I don't think Anchor should be counted as a good brand these days. My recent (last 4-5 years) experience with Anchor products has been underwhelming to say the least.
Same here...anchor was good some 20yrs back now their gf bi product roma is simply shit! I have to replace few switches once in 15-18months or so. The buttons get hard and come out thorough exceeding the switch angles!
I'm unsure if living near the sea has any such effects but in my second home its a mix of anchor cum some unbranded switches which are all good going ever since..

Anchor is just like if a noob walks into any shop and they give him anchor, colgate, intel, samsung etc.

Something weird i saw with the switch i replaced. When it was connected, it didn't want to switch off. It would get stuck in middle. After turning off electricity and removing the switch from the box i tested it and it was alright. It was switching on off properly. I'm guessing they used some metal strip that heats up and stops working. I only used to charge laptop and mobile from that socket so nothing more than 100w load on it, yet it failed.
Then better get them on Electro.com they got really good discount and better cataloguing than Amazon.
I can't find that site. Got a domain hosting ad instead.

Ok OP so reading your post, here are my 2 cents.
My family has been govt. class A contractors and dealing in electrical switches since 1932. (4th gen being me).
So switches heat because of lack of proper insulation and ampere rating.
Whenever you are buying a switch, don't look at the front, flip it and check the backside. You will easily be able to understand the insulation provided in that specific model.
No brand is to be blindly purchased as each brand comes in different models (Quality - Variety).
Schneider Zencelo and Schneider Vivace are currently somewhere at 130/- per switch and 40/- per switch. Both are world apart in quality. Hence going by just the brand name is a trap.
Based on experience (Schneider, Goldmedal, Anchor, Havells/Crabtree, Legrand, Lutron, L&T) (over 20years me having selling n feedback experience) (plus 3 brands used in our home over past 25years), I shall recommend the Goldmedal Nixon series.
Plates should be Goldmedal Glassio (they have an anti-dust curve on them, and a tiny lip which protects the switches)
If you can spend more, upgrade the plates to Goldmedal Glass Quorra. These are toughened glass plates which look great but mainly have a good construction to keep the switches, sockets, firmly in place.
Average price for a Goldmedal nixon 10A (don't buy 6A switches from any brand): is around rs. 26 per pc.
Similarly when u buy the power switch, insist for 20A switch and not 16A.
Sockets you can buy 6A for cheap use, but majorly buy 13A International sockets (specially for Computers, electronics etc.). And for power don't buy 16A socket, instead ask for 25A power socket (looks same, but internal current rating is different).

TLDR:

Me having 20yrs experience in govt contractorship and 2 wholesale + retail showrooms in prime locations of Chandigarh.

Current best switch: Goldmedal Nixon switch (10A switch comes with 25 year warranty) with Goldmedal Glassio plates and good ampere rating components.

Back