Budget 0-20k Monitor Suggestions & Buying Advice

I'm in the market for a monitor. I have always used a 15.6" FHD laptop (for work) and a PC connected to TV (for entertainment/gaming), so I have never purchased a monitor and haven't used one extensiely, never owned one. My queries might come as rookie level, please bear with me.

I'm not sure how much screen size I would like, I think 32" would be too big for a regular monitor and 24" might be a little small, I don't know what I will like unless I start working/using one but 27" seems safe option at the moment. What do you guys suggest? I'll be using the monitor only with my current laptop (HDMI 1.4) for now and will buy a new laptop next year.

If I decide to go with 27" monitor, I don't think 4k would make much difference, right? Also as HDMI 1.4 supports 4k @ only 30Hz max, I won't be able to use 4k resolution because 30Hz is unbearable. I can tell apart iPad OS on 120Hz screen (iPad Pro) and on 60Hz screen (regular screen) but 60Hz screen seems fine, just a bit sluggish after using 120Hz. On the other hand, 30Hz on Windows 11 seem jittery and downright unusable (I had to use it @30Hz for few days because of older HDMI cable). I have always used 60Hz panel and nothing above it with Windows. I don't do competitive online gaming, will it be beneficial if I decide to go above 60Hz?

So when/if we have decided the size, resolution and refresh rate, then please recommend some good monitors.

Thanks a ton.

Go for a 24" 1080p 144 Hz display or 27" 1440p 144 Hz display as your budget permits.
Thanks for replying.

Will I be gaining any benefit if I chose 27" 1440p 144Hz over 60Hz? I would like to save as much as possible on this purchase without compromising on actual usability. I don't play competitive games or online FPS shooters at all.

Thanks for replying.

Will I be gaining any benefit if I chose 27" 1440p 144Hz over 60Hz? I would like to save as much as possible on this purchase without compromising on actual usability. I don't play competitive games or online FPS shooters at all.
The primary benefit of higher refresh rate is in gaming. So if you are not going to game, 27" 1440p 60 Hz will be fine.

Thanks for replying.

27" 1080p has low pixel density, hence not recommended in general. 27" 1440p over 24" 1080p is that you get a bigger screen with a bit higher pixel density.

Right now on amazon there's LG 27QN600 for 21k, but Acer VG271U is 23k, which is a 144Hz monitor. So decide on budget & get 27" 1440p 144Hz or 24" 1080p 144Hz (~15-16k) IMO.

27" 1080p has low pixel density, hence not recommended in general. 27" 1440p over 24" 1080p is that you get a bigger screen with a bit higher pixel density.

Right now on amazon there's LG 27QN600 for 21k, but Acer VG271U is 23k, which is a 144Hz monitor. So decide on budget & get 27" 1440p 144Hz or 24" 1080p 144Hz (~15-16k) IMO.
I have decided to go for 27" 1440p monitor. I see there isn't much difference between 60Hz and 144Hz. Currently looking for 144Hz models, will buy 60Hz if I'm saving considerable amount of money.

Sounds like a good plan. Stick to IPS preferably & avoid TN at all costs.
My current laptop has TN panel and I know the pain and sufferings :tearsofjoy:.

I have decided to go for 27" 1440p monitor. I see there isn't much difference between 60Hz and 144Hz. Currently looking for 144Hz models, will buy 60Hz if I'm saving considerable amount of money.
I'm thinking about ordering this model. Should I go ahead?

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Due to some budget problems and change in plans, I had to cut down my budget in almost half (~11k) so I'll have to settle with 24" 1080p monitor. I don't want to compromise on panel quality and would like to buy IPS panel only. I have selected the following models -

1. Samsung 24" 1080p IPS
2. LG 24MP400 24" IPS 1080p

I can extend my budget by 1-2k maximum. I'm more inclined towards the Samsung monitor. Are there any other monitors that I should be looking at?

Thanks for all your time. Really appreciate it.

Found this also -

3. LG 24" 24MP60G

Last edited:
I have a viewsonic VA-2256-H which quite nice for less than 9k at the time and can't complain thus far, options are a plenty. Just don't go for a gaming monitor unless that's your purpose.

I have a viewsonic VA-2256-H which quite nice for less than 9k at the time and can't complain thus far, options are a plenty. Just don't go for a gaming monitor unless that's your purpose.
It is currently at 11.5k.

There are too many options for 24" 1080p IPS at 10k to 12k and I'm confused af. o_O

It is currently at 11.5k.

There are too many options for 24" 1080p IPS at 10k to 12k and I'm confused af. o_O
Yes, I feel your plight! Honestly there isn't much difference between models. Choose something based upon good warranty, service and reviews. Just be aware that some reviews aren't legit, you'll need to decipher that with your own judgement.

UPDATE:

Due to some budget problems and change in plans, I had to cut down my budget in almost half (~11k) so I'll have to settle with 24" 1080p monitor. I don't want to compromise on panel quality and would like to buy IPS panel only. I have selected the following models -

1. Samsung 24" 1080p IPS
2. LG 24MP400 24" IPS 1080p

I can extend my budget by 1-2k maximum. I'm more inclined towards the Samsung monitor. Are there any other monitors that I should be looking at?

Thanks for all your time. Really appreciate it.

Found this also -

3. LG 24" 24MP60G
https://www.amazon.in/Acer-Nitro-23-8-1080-0-5-Response/dp/B088FLG41L

It is in your budget with amazon CC cashback. It served me well as primary monitor for 2 years, now relegated to 2nd screen.

Note the price now and see the price during freedom sale. Hope amazon doesn't increase the price and then offer discounts
Yes, that's what I was thinking weather to buy it right now or during the Freedom Sale. It was 12999 in the last sale and 13500 RN. Not much difference.

It is 12998 right now, thinking of placing the order.
If you can get hold of an SBI card, you'll get ~1300 discount. So no reason to wait for sale.

However, I must tell you that if your laptop has a full HD panel, then this is going to look really pixelated. Full HD at 24" has very low pixel density.

If you can get hold of an SBI card, you'll get ~1300 discount. So no reason to wait for sale.

However, I must tell you that if your laptop has a full HD panel, then this is going to look really pixelated. Full HD at 24" has very low pixel density.
At 40-50cm or so distance, 24" at 1080p is good enough. You keep a laptop relatively closer to your eyes, phones are even closer. 27" 1080p is usually considered low ppi for monitors, also any 768p ones.

Back