Monitors Monitor whining

stalker

Skilled
Hello all,,,

i recently got a second hand Samsung 798MB Plus monitor from a member here on TE.

Of late ive been noticing a high pitched whining noise that comes whenever i open up any window with a white background, or basically any whitish image gets displayed...

what could be the reason behind this? and how do i get it fixed? is my monitor about to die????

I have heard these sounds on some of the monitors in my office , used to happen on my CRT monitror also , its very irritatiing .Used to switch off and siwtch on, its used to stop and the sound somehow disappered itself .

nfsnfs said:
I have heard these sounds on some of the monitors in my office , used to happen on my CRT monitror also , its very irritatiing .Used to switch off and siwtch on, its used to stop and the sound somehow disappered itself .

ditto -

Just vanished one day, never came back (to be fair to LG, they had agreed to replace it, but it vanished before replacement, not come back since)

This also happened to me once by mistake I knocked a water bottle which was kept on top of the monitor and some water spilled into the monitor:p .. it whined, got scared and turned off the monitor heheh.. ya it went away.

You need a new flyback transformer if the sound bothers you.

Otherwise it should still be good for a year or so. Normally this does not impede the service life of the monitor, unless there's some other issue with it.

Basically the sealant holding the transformer is beginning to fall apart. Though the frequency at which it operates at is supposed to be outside the human hearing range, but the frequency resonates off internal components and the distortion produces lower frequencies which we can hear.

You can try tapping the monitor gently, changing the resolution or moving the monitor a bit.

If it is totally irritating, get a new flyback or get a TV tech to come in and reseal the flyback.

Like I said, this is not a failure mode.

^^Hope ur right wid the prognosis doc :) (am guessing you are :D)

will try out a coupla things today once i get bac home.. lets hope it works out!

sTALKEr said:
Hello all,,,
i recently got a second hand Samsung 798MB Plus monitor from a member here on TE.
Of late ive been noticing a high pitched whining noise that comes whenever i open up any window with a white background, or basically any whitish image gets displayed...
what could be the reason behind this? and how do i get it fixed? is my monitor about to die????
If it's a 798MB plus- it's most prolly within the 3 yr warranty period. :)
(In case you do not have the bill- check at the back for the Month and year of manufacture.)

Call and register a complaint- preferably avoid mentioning it's second hand. :cool2:
You can always say its's my cousin's who is not in India or something if they insist- but usually they don't ask as they assume you to be first owner and i dunno if it really matters as long as it's a locally bought piece.

You do not need the bill for the complaint usually- they never asked me for one. :cool2:
The back of the monitor has the manufacture date and only in cases when the service required under warranty is beyond 3 years from that date but the monitor was purchased after the manufacture date (usually the case:p )- you will need to provide the bill as a proof.
Coz warranty is 3 yrs from date of purchase. :D
Samsung toll free helpline- 1800-110-011

will i need to take the monitor in? to their service center or do they pick it up themselves.. nd is it really something thats saying 'I'm gonna Die on you!!'

1. its not gonna die on you...at least i hope not...... dont blame me if theres some other issue too tho :p

2. Samsung has on site service i believe..so someone will come and look at it.

Same happened on my Samsung 798MB+ too after using 1280X1024@60Hz. Now I m using it 1024X768@ 85Hz refresh rate and the sound somehow disappeared itself. I think its related to humidity too.

Samsung VGA cable is also low grade (shadows, Ghosting etc).

sTALKEr said:
will i need to take the monitor in? to their service center or do they pick it up themselves.. nd is it really something thats saying 'I'm gonna Die on you!!'
They will come to your place and try fixing it at your place if they think they can get away with a minor solder job or something. :p
If it's beyond that and problem still persists, they will take your leave and arrange for pick up by the factory van for further inspection and repairs at their service centre. :)
Also not many realise but they are required to provide a standby display if you demand for it. :cool2:
They usually get by without offering/providing one as most don't know and/or don't ask.:no:

I think its a issue with the 798 series, even I have the same monitor bought new, sometimes it whines in a white background, but I haven't heard it for quite sometime now.

Back