Monitors Monitors - Dell vs Samsung. What to go for in 20-22" category

Bennie

Disciple
Hi

Looking for a new LED/LCD monitor in the 20-22" size.

Budget - around Rs.8000 with VGA/DVI

Desirable: USB Hub, HDMI, but not mandatory

I have previously used a Samsung and this brand has been recommended by a friend as well.

But I think Dell also make good monitors (just a 'perception' I have - I could be wrong.)

Are Dell comparable to Samsung ?

Does anybody know if Dell make their own monitors, or they just put their stamp on it.

So do you guys have any particular models from either manufacturer ?

I guess I should be able to get a nice little discount somewhere as well...considering sales galore in the festival season !

Thanks ppl.

just bought dell st2220l from letsbuy for a dirt cheap price of 7k....

it has dvi vga plus hdmi so its future proof as well...plus it has 36months dell advanced exchange warranty..

so i wud recommend it too....dell>samsung in computer peripherals acc to me..!

OK .. thanks guys ..

Looking good .

They also have another model listed, the Dell ST2220M. As far as I can tell, its one Rupee more expensive, but doesn't have HDMI. Is there anything else I am missing in there ?

Might go with Dell it seems.

Does anybody know if they make their own ??

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

well, well, well ...

Just finished ordering a Dell ST2320L 23" LED monitor from letsbuy.com. Listed for Rs. 9399.

10% discount coupon applied.

Final price: Rs. 8460, including delivery, Transit insurance.

But ther checkout/cart system is pretty pi55 poor !

Wouldn't let me add separate info for Billing / Shipping adress. Only info I could add was the shipping info, and then payment. So the credit card thinks the Shipping address is the Billing address and matches the billing info from website with the address on my credit card. Then it gives error that addresses dont match ! :( (Thats because I am gifting it to someone. So ofcourse, the shipping address is different from the Billing address - which is the address on my credit card)

Due to that my purchase is likely to be rejected.

Any Letsbuy.com official rep on TE ?

^ Should have checked out reviews before buying mate. :(

The monitor isn't so good. The colors appear all washed out and not at all up to the mark.

viralbug said:
. Also someone from this forum itself had experienced the same thing and had posted in one of the recent threads.

Yeah, I also just did a search of this sub-forum for "2320". Couldn't find anything related to the monitor.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

viralbug said:
Dell ST2320L Review | PC Monitors

Check out user's comments. Also someone from this forum itself had experienced the same thing and had posted in one of the recent threads.

Well, whats done is done ...

But the deal hasn't actually been processed. So maybe if its cancelled, what should I go for ?

Is it all Dells or just the 2320 ?

what about Dell ST 2220L ... Its been recommended above. What do you say about that ?

I see that generally Samsung's are a bit more expensive (in India atleast).

I just got 2220l..its awesome...much better then my bro's g2220 benq....plus it has hdmi n came with a dvi wire too!

Here is the post I was referring to.

http://www.techenclave.com/pc-buying-advice/help-needed-23-led-full-hd-200852.html#post1944738

Dunno about the ST 2220L since I haven't personally seen any of them. But it does seem to be a decent panel from what I hear.

It's not the Dells, but just the ST2320L I believe. Dell generally has great monitors and is one of the best LCD monitor manufacturers around. Unfortunately, I think the ST2320L didn't turn out to be up to the mark.

For around 8k the Benq G2220 or E2220 are good monitors.

If you can get the Benq G2420, it's a great bargain for a little over 10k.

Acer S231HL and LG 2360V are also other options. I would advise you to have a look at each monitor if you can. Then you can decide which one you like best.

funjabi said:
I just got 2220l..its awesome...much better then my bro's g2220 benq....plus it has hdmi n came with a dvi wire too!

Done !

Ordered the ST2220L instead.

Strangely, the earlier order for ST2320 was never approved in the first place. my CC has been charged, but I will get a refund. I guess it wasn't meant to be after all.

Waiting for the ST2220L now... Oh and my FREE Diwali gift (Oh God ! let it be a DVI cable, apparently Dell dont supply one with monitor :p)

Diwali gift will be an LED flashlight :p

n DVI cable will be in the package itself.Dell provides it though it is not mentioned in their profile.

Strange but a great thing for us ;)

Bennie said:
Done !

Strangely, the earlier order for ST2320 was never approved in the first place. my CC has been charged, but I will get a refund. I guess it wasn't meant to be after all.

Waiting for the ST2220L now... Oh and my FREE Diwali gift (Oh God ! let it be a DVI cable, apparently Dell dont supply one with monitor :p)

Bennie said:
Done !

Good it turned out that way for you :).

The post viralbug has linked to pretty much explains everything. The monitor is downright poor. Yeah its insanely bright but colors are just too washed out (bleached is apparently the term) and dull, sharpness wasn't there even after repeated attempts at calibrating it. Even i was surprised at this fact. At first thought this might be down to the unit i received but when the replacement too performed like that, i insisted on an LCD/other models and got a SX2210.

funjabi said:
Diwali gift will be an LED flashlight :p

LOL, i sthat what you got ...Letsbuy are being very cheeky

A flashlight as Diwali gift, to use when the power goes off that night :p

funjabi said:
n DVI cable will be in the package itself.Dell provides it though it is not mentioned in their profile.

Strange but a great thing for us ;)

yeah, its not mentioned as supplied with monitor, but if it is, thats one thing less I have to worry about.

eternoMind said:
Good it turned out that way for you :).

The post viralbug has linked to pretty much explains everything. The monitor is downright poor. Yeah its insanely bright but colors are just too washed out (bleached is apparently the term) and dull, sharpness wasn't there even after repeated attempts at calibrating it. Even i was surprised at this fact. At first thought this might be down to the unit i received but when the replacement too performed like that, i insisted on an LCD/other models and got a SX2210.

Cheers, thanks for posting your experience.

Back