CPU/Mobo Motherboard for i5-2500K

Aces170

ex-Mod
So finally my system conks for good. PSU and mobo out, thankfully PSU (VX450 was in warranty), so I thought of doing a CPU+Mobo+RAm upgrade.

Let me know your suggestions for motherboard, I am not looking at something very fancy, would be largely running the CPU at stock speeds. I do require USB 3.0 and atleast 5 SATA ports. Would the P67 or a Z68 chipset prove a better fit then a H67. Planning to use my HD4850 card for the time being..

Asus P8P67 Pro or the P8Z68-V Pro. Pair it with a pair of 4GB DDR3 1333/1600 MHz sticks and you are set. :D

Pointless investing in the H67 series boards with an unlocked 'k series' processor. It is either 2500k + P67/Z68 or the 2500 + H67.

I would advice you to buy i5 2500k along with Asus P8P67 Pro too... But if you are not much into overclocking then buy i5 2500 along with Intel DH67BL (B3)... The Intel motherboard that i have suggested comes with 5 Sata ports (2 x 6GBPS and 3 x 3GBPS), 2 x USB3 ports, 1 x eSata Port

Whats the difference between the P67, H67, and Z68 chipsets, apart from the from overclocking friendliness. Cant you do a minor oc on a H67? I don't think I would want a lot of headroom over stocks...

Overclocking i5 2500k processor on an H67 motherboard is next to impossible...

Whats the difference between the P67, H67, and Z68 chipsets, apart from the from overclocking friendliness.

2gv1lzm.jpg

Yes.Minor overclock is possible but you cant change the multiplier.I would recommend to go for a i5-2400+H67 combo.You can save atleast 5000 rs without much loss in performance.Check this Intel

As Gannu and most others rightly said, stick to a P67/Z68 if going K series. Otherwise you can consider the H67.

I'd like to confuse you further by adding, if you are considering an SSD >= 40GB then P67 if < 40GB then Z68 :)

even if going for K series, consider Intel DZ68DB available for <7.5k, good enough for a decent overclock with all the other features (USB 3, SATA III etc )

Aces170 said:
Whats the difference between the P67, H67, and Z68 chipsets, apart from the from overclocking friendliness. Cant you do a minor oc on a H67? I don't think I would want a lot of headroom over stocks...

The problem is, SB does not offer as much wiggle room as Nehalem did with Bclk overclocking. Getting over 103-104Mhz BCLK / PCI E can be very difficult. Yes, some boards can go upto 110, but getting your system rock stable for daily use is difficult.

That is why skip H67 with K series CPUs.
If you are on budget see if you can find Intel DP67BGB3 (yes, Intel original board). It should be under 10k and its fantastic P67 board for those on budget. Hell it will even overclock well if you want it to. (And no, it wont fight with you for overclocking :p ).

If you have the budget for 13k+ then P8Z68 V Pro it is.
harryneopotter said:
even if going for K series, consider Intel DZ68DB available for <7.5k, good enough for a decent overclock with all the other features (USB 3, SATA III etc )

The only problem with that board is placement of SATA ports. And they all face upwards. Not ideal.

Back