Budget 15-20K Moto G or Moto X

gautamsarin

Disciple
I was inclined to getting the Moto g (had already gifted it to my wife and she is extremely happy with it) but Moto x is available for only 20k at flipkart, so about 7.5 k extra than Moto g (I was going to get the 8gb version of moto g). Is 7.5k extra worth it to spend for a moto x.

What I want from my phone:

1) Good web browsing
2) Good battery life
3) Consistency (lot of android phones hang a lot)
4) Shouldn't be too big

I understand that moto g fits all the above but moto x seems to be more exciting phone with all the touch less controls and sensors and voice control. Does it work well in a moto x? that would be my only single reason for buying the moto x.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Gautam

Touchless control works flawlessly (it even understands the Indian names!), as well as Active Display (however after installing lots of apps you need to un-check some of them, otherwise it will pop up for no reason), and the battery life is fantastic. Build quality is great, as well as the size, it's really compact. So if you can make use of the 19.9k offer (make sure the phone you are exchanging won't give you more than 4k elsewhere) then just close your eyes and go for it. The best Android to be honest within 30k range, as long as you don't need a fantastic camera.

Battery life :
4k9LvNi.png

I am Over-clocked by the way, with GPS always on, and WiFi for more than eight hours, so you should add at least another 8-10 minutes in average for general users.

Moto X. A more future proof phone which I also believe is one of the best phones in the market along with N5 in around 30K range.

I am also looking for a phone and mostly go with Moto X successor. 720p screen is the only thing that is holding me back.

These are in two different categories itself. if you have the money to buy Moto X go for it.
But then if your requirements are satisfied by Moto G, then buy Moto G. It looks like Moto G would suffice most of your needs.

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I have gone ahead and ordered the Moto X. Although moto g was sufficient for what I wanted, Moto X seemed a more exciting phone, and at 20k it was hard to resist.

You can go for the Case Mate Naked Tough if you want protection. Otterbox is also there if you want to throw the phone to moon and let it bounce back from there (kidding).
I just ordered a cheap bumper though, no way I was gonna cover the back and front of this lovely looks.

Touchless control works flawlessly (it even understands the Indian names!), as well as Active Display (however after installing lots of apps you need to un-check some of them, otherwise it will pop up for no reason), and the battery life is fantastic. Build quality is great, as well as the size, it's really compact. So if you can make use of the 19.9k offer (make sure the phone you are exchanging won't give you more than 4k elsewhere) then just close your eyes and go for it. The best Android to be honest within 30k range, as long as you don't need a fantastic camera.

Battery life :
4k9LvNi.png

I am Over-clocked by the way, with GPS always on, and WiFi for more than eight hours, so you should add at least another 8-10 minutes in average for general users.
That is good battery life but i imagine you're getting this because of kernel & your choice of governor.

How did the moto x (stock) battery compare to your s4 ?

I am also looking for a phone and mostly go with Moto X successor. 720p screen is the only thing that is holding me back.
I believe the best phone you can get is..

a s80x cpu paired with a 720p screen

or current gen cpu with screen resolution that came out two years earlier.

best performance over all, battery life , heat etc. it's too bad choices are limited there. So you have to wait for a 1080p screen instead.

They are going to dump these stupid quad hd screens on us soon, not worth it for at least a year until they can figure out how to make them work better.

Last edited:
That is good battery life but i imagine you're getting this because of kernel & your choice of governor.

How did the moto x (stock) battery compare to your s4 ?
At stock kernel four and a half hours screen on is easily achievable.

I'm preferring the 720p display over 1080p, there's literally no difference from a normal viewing distance (around a foot), so putting a 1080p is meaningless IMHO, as long as the screen is within / less than 5".

Agree but I have a S3 and N5 and I can see (Yes Visibly) the difference in the screens. I know the 1080p screen would be more resource hungry and the performance can be degraded but I love the 1080p screen.

Moto X +1 is something I am really looking forward to.

Battery life :
4k9LvNi.png

What's your setup like? When I first got the phone, I was getting 4 to 4.5 hours SOT but now my battery life has completely tanked and doesn't give me more than 2 hours of screen time. Not sure what happened. GPS / WiFi / Google Now etc always on.

Do you not use the location based Motorola Assist features like driving / at home recognition?

What's your setup like? When I first got the phone, I was getting 4 to 4.5 hours SOT but now my battery life has completely tanked and doesn't give me more than 2 hours of screen time. Not sure what happened. GPS / WiFi / Google Now etc always on.

Do you not use the location based Motorola Assist features like driving / at home recognition?
Have you checked with BBS what's draining your battery? Needless to say that bloody Google location reporting is one hell of a culprit to suck juice. I don't have Google Now on though, I don't use it.

No, I don't use Assist, actually I am planning to remove it, won't come any good for me. I have already removed that Spotlight player (that annoying game) if that matters. Also haven't configured Touchless control either.

@Renegade Why posts are not being merged? Weird!

Have you checked with BBS what's draining your battery? Needless to say that bloody Google location reporting is one hell of a culprit to suck juice. I don't have Google Now on though, I don't use it.

No, I don't use Assist, actually I am planning to remove it, won't come any good for me. I have already removed that Spotlight player (that annoying game) if that matters. Also haven't configured Touchless control either.

@Renegade Why posts are not being merged? Weird!

I guess that's why. I use both Google Now and Assist extensively. I find them to be the best features of the Moto X.

While the Moto x is a fantastic phone , The Soc S4 pro is a bit behind the times. While it gives great performance, It does burn up the oil a bit faster compared to the newer gen processors.
What I would love to see is the same Moto x with the same screen and features but with a more energy efficient processor.
Actually the snapdragon Quad in Moto G is more efficient , and although the GPU on G is weaker , the battery life is vastly superior to moto x.

Back