Motorola Atrix reception problem

My friends Motorola Atrix is having weird issue, it loses signal for 3-5 seconds after every call. We tried removing all applications, but this is still persisting. Any suggestions as to why this may be happening ?

Hi, did it start happening after installing any app? are you on a custom ROM? if so then try changing the ROM.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

it wasnt there when my friend bought the phone. Stock ROM.

If it was an application, cant pinpoint it, but have uninstalled everything now.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Since we are on the issue, how to remove 'vlingo' and google books, places , rich location and others ?

amritsingh87 said:
it wasnt there when my friend bought the phone. Stock ROM.

If it was an application, cant pinpoint it, but have uninstalled everything now.

Since we are on the issue, how to remove 'vlingo' and google books, places , rich location and others ?
They are system apps and you cannot remove them. It can be done only after phone is rooted.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

My friends have also reported that my phone is reported as unreachable when they try to call my Atrix, even when it is in a location with a strong signal. It was only really reported to me after I upgraded to Gingerbread (motoblur), but it could have happened before.

Generally what radio(?) setting is recommended when using the phone on a GSM network with only 2g and wifi? I'm referring to the menu you get when typing #*#*INFO*#*# (sic).

This is not Atrix specific issue.

This is known problem on some networks.

It happens to me on Airtel every now and then regardless the handset. It goes away after some days and comes back to haunt me after few months again. It used to happen with my Atrix, with my S2, with my Photon. These 3 handset I can remember distinctly. So its definitely not ATRIX specific. Neither is is Motorola specific. Its down to network I guess.

Who is your service provider?

switch to 2G only mode and monitor if the issue still persists.

The phone periodically searches for 3G signal in Auto mode and this results in lack of signal (if it is not avilable :p)

Alternatively, you can go under Network Operators and Manually assign your home network. This shall work better IF your service provider has a widespread network and does not depend too much upon other networks for signal.

I also second what shripad has said.

My atrix,focus and photon all three phones behaved same way on airtel.

it works well in 2g mode on photon and atrix.

Grease Monk said:
2G only = GSM Only?

yup.

WCDMA only = 3G only.

GSM/WCDMA auto will choose best signal available. Didnt really fix the problem for me when I was having it. I ended up complaining to airtel through their email. They sent a person to my address after couple of days who said they are having problem with their site equipment and called someone and gave him location id and said it will be fixed. It went away after few hours, came back after few months and then again went away on its own.

Has happened couple of times more since then.

Switching to 2G only didnt really help.

Shripad said:
This is not Atrix specific issue.

This is known problem on some networks.

It happens to me on Airtel every now and then regardless the handset. It goes away after some days and comes back to haunt me after few months again. It used to happen with my Atrix, with my S2, with my Photon. These 3 handset I can remember distinctly. So its definitely not ATRIX specific. Neither is is Motorola specific. Its down to network I guess.

Who is your service provider?

+1

All my phones (android) displays same problem with my Airtel SIM even with 2G only (Captivate, Vibrant, Atrix, Photon, Plam Pixi). And it happens mainly in the evening. I have to put the phone into Airplane mode for a few sec and then back to solve the problem. Strangely my old Nokia 5700 (which I'm using right now) never faces this problem.

I have faced this problem in my defy. But also in nokia, se and a few others. I am on airtel. The best solution is to subscribe to missed call alerts. Also I have noticed that this problem is related to the way the pre paid sim card works. Once you make a call or send a message, there is a 5 second outage where the network sends the call charges and balance details to the phone. I say this because my father who has a company phone never faced this problem.

I have airtel, and selecting 2G only didnt do the job.. I guess its because of what aka911 wrote ? I will try an Idea sim tomorrow to see if its airtel specific issue.

Update : Setting the 2G only option does work.. I restarted the phone and its working w/o signal loss issue now.

Back