Android Motorola Edge 30 series

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Motorola edge 30 non pro, On sale tomorrow on Flipkart.

Something highly suspect is none of the youtubers are talking about the wifi.

One guy pointed out it's using slower and cheaper uMCP storage and not ufs2.x but that's all.

I hope Motorola hasn't explicitly told people under NDA to not talk about the wifi.

Anyone else looking at this phone?

Would not mind a Motorola phone if it were not for the erratic update schedule . Also it has happened in the past with them , for the edge 20 series they promised 2 Android os updates and gave only 1 later .
Samsung phones on the other hand are good with updates and quite regular with them . ( S9, S9+ , M31, F41) I have these phones currently .
Chinese phones I'm not aware of . .
Nokia made good phones 2 years back . Today they want to sell inferior 2 year old chipsets and hd+ screens at 12 to 20k . They provide 2 years of updates ( nokia 6.1 and 6.1 plus ) I have these phones currently .

Regarding call recording the Nokia's use Google dialler so they announce " calls being recorded " .
In Samsung you can record calls without the opposite party knowing .

Cheers ! Ankush.

I thought this wifi coverage issue was a one-off with Moto Edge 20 Fusion and they would have subsequently corrected it with later launches. Doesn't make sense for Moto to go with cheaper chip. I mean, why would anyone shoot itself on its foot, especially when majority of Moto users complain about the same issue in their forums.
Also it has happened in the past with them , for the edge 20 series they promised 2 Android os updates and gave only 1 later .
Care to elaborate? I believe Moto edge 20 had launched only last year with A11 so they still have some time for A12, 13.

I have a Samsung M21 lying around waiting to be exchanged for a new Moto Edge 30 :D

Currently using an Edge 20 Fusion which will become my backup phone (packed in box) when/if I get the Edge 30.

Still haven't gotten the android 12 update on the edge 20 fusion - apparently it's only been released in Brazil ! Maybe they are waiting for the new Edge 30 sales to settle down then will push the a12 update to older phones.

I thought this wifi coverage issue was a one-off with Moto Edge 20 Fusion and they would have subsequently corrected it with later launches. Doesn't make sense for Moto to go with cheaper chip. I mean, why would anyone shoot itself on its foot, especially when majority of Moto users complain about the same issue in their forums.

Care to elaborate? I believe Moto edge 20 had launched only last year with A11 so they still have some time for A12, 13.
I stand corrected . The edge 20 will indeed receive 2 Android updates.

Gawd I hope I wasn't right about the Wi-Fi conspiracy theory.

Phone isn't showing Wi-Fi 6E network. Now either it's disabled in operating system level or my tplink xe75 mesh has disabled the 6E band ‍♂️ which I doubt because Moto webpage mention 6E may not be available in some locations.

Other than that it's pretty lightweight , lighter than my current moto edge 20 fusion.

144hz display is silky smooth as to be expected.

Android 12 is meh.

Battery life I need to wait a week or two for the device to calibrate battery consumption I guess but right now it's dropping by around 10% every hour of moderate usage.

Wi-Fi 6 working well getting 800+ mbps speed which matches my mom's mi 11x and my laptop.

Just bummed about the lack of 6E and it all but confirm my suspicions that Moto has given gag order under NDA to reviewers not to talk about it because I got no response from anyone I asked about it.

Firmware baseband info showing xxx_ DUBAI_PVT_CUST_xxxx

Tweeted about it...

Last edited:
144hz display is silky smooth as to be expected.

Android 12 is meh.

Battery life I need to wait a week or two for the device to calibrate battery consumption I guess but right now it's dropping by around 10% every hour of moderate usage.

Hi,
I am looking to buy a phone which will then become my primary and I will keep my G8X for use in emergency and as a DAP.
Am really interested in picking up the Edge 30. I am not really worried about camera quality or gaming capabilities. What I am interested in, is whether the processor is good enough to maintain the 144Hz refresh rate without any lags and how quickly does it charge. An update on your battery life usage would be great as well.

Current predicament with G8X is it's very slow charging speeds even at 18W. Saving grace is it's wireless charging.

Yes CPU seems efficient enough to handle 144hz I've never seen any jitters so far.

But I recently switched from 144 hz to auto setting and I'm not sure whether it was this change and or battery handling in the os and my phone easily runs 2 days on single charge.

It takes under 2 hours to reach full charge from around 20 percent level, and I charge my phone every alternate evening before going to bed.

Only the missing wifi 6e part has me bummed out heh.

Thanks for the feedback mate. The charging seems to be slow for a 4000mAh battery on a 33W charger. All Youtube videos show that phone charges in an hour. My G8X charges in less than 2 hours on an 18W charger.
It's good to know that the Auto mode works well. Usually the reason to keep the phone on high refresh rate is because the 'Auto' mode doesn't work well.
I will definitely go for Edge 30,if the battery charging isn't this slow. I don't need to charge my phone from 0-100. I usually manage to keep my phone charged between 50-80%,but I need that to happen within 15 minutes max.

I need to clarify that I've been using my 30W charger from my previous moto edge 20 fusion phone... When I said "under 2 hours" means just that... I didn't really check the exact time except that when I looked at my phone 2 hours later it was fully charged :D

I'll check tonight update here...
I just started charging at 9.20pm from 46% on my 30W charger, will check at around 10pm and update :D
Update on the charging speed...

It took 30 minutes to go from 46% up to 96% on the 30W charger :) so I guess a full charge from low level should take not more than an hour...

Last edited:
Phone isn't showing Wi-Fi 6E network. Now either it's disabled in operating system level or my tplink xe75 mesh has disabled the 6E band ‍♂️ which I doubt because Moto webpage mention 6E may not be available in some locations.
The phone can't see 160Mhz channels only 80Mhz chanels according to the wifi cert

Your xe75 uses Band 5 for 6E? So the moto should see those as the cert says its got 6E and i don't believe moto disabled 6E

80Mhz channels : 7,23,39,55,71 & 87

This app shows 6Ghz channels. Look at the channel graph tab. How many does the xe75 use ?

If you see an entry for 6 Ghz network then both Moto & router are working on 6E

6E uses 6Ghz exclusively.

6 can use either 2.4 or 5Ghz but not 6Ghz. So, you will not see 6Ghz with this app on the Mi11x as its Wifi 6 only

Confusing isn't it :bored:
Wi-Fi 6 working well getting 800+ mbps speed which matches my mom's mi 11x and my laptop.
I thought you should be getting faster than 800mbs wifi link speed btw as i already get that with my N7000 on 5Ghz ac

Your phone has 2x2 so at least 1.4Gbs i think is possible on the Moto Edge 30

Attachments

• Moto Edge 30 Wifi Cert (XT22031).pdf
    81.6 KB · Views: 117
  • Wifi channels.jpg
    Wifi channels.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I need to clarify that I've been using my 30W charger from my previous moto edge 20 fusion phone... When I said "under 2 hours" means just that... I didn't really check the exact time except that when I looked at my phone 2 hours later it was fully charged :D

I'll check tonight update here...
I just started charging at 9.20pm from 46% on my 30W charger, will check at around 10pm and update :D
Update on the charging speed...

It took 30 minutes to go from 46% up to 96% on the 30W charger :) so I guess a full charge from low level should take not more than an hour...
Awesome. It seems I will be joining the Edge 30 team soon.

If you notice the chart below the transfer speed is 800mbs with 6E on the tp-link xe75. The transfer speed would be faster but the xe75 does not have multi-gig ethernet ports.

But what i think you're mentioning is link speed.

So something isn't right. Because a link speed of 800mbs means your transfer is likely to be below 400 Mbs.

Why is link speed on the moto not faster ? 1.4Gbs+

Testing with a Pixel 6 these are the transfer speeds seen. There is hardly any speed difference between Wifi6 (AX) and Wifi 6E (AXE) (!)

The only way you can test wifi throughput is with a wifi test app on the phone and a server on a laptop hooked up via ethernet to the tp-link

Attachments

• Deco-XE75-AXE5400-Tri-Band-Mesh-Wi-Fi-6E-Mesh-Router-Performance.png
    Deco-XE75-AXE5400-Tri-Band-Mesh-Wi-Fi-6E-Mesh-Router-Performance.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I meant internet speed 800+

My wifi6 link speed is nearly 2gig mostly and 2+ on my laptop and desktop intel ax201 chips. The mi 11x gets max 1.2gbit link speed.

There is definitely something weird going on... My xe75 is the US variant not the EU region maybe that's why the moto cannot see the 6ghz wifi 6e? Channel mismatch possible?

I meant internet speed 800+
Then 6E is working as that is the same speed dong gets.
My wifi6 link speed is nearly 2gig mostly and 2+ on my laptop and desktop intel ax201 chips.
Right, this is what i expected. Its working
The mi 11x gets max 1.2gbit link speed.
That's the max 11x will see but what is its internet speed ? should be same as the moto according to dong's test for AX
There is definitely something weird going on... My xe75 is the US variant not the EU region maybe that's why the moto cannot see the 6ghz wifi 6e? Channel mismatch possible?
So you downloaded the wifi analyzer app and you do not see a 6Ghz tab on the moto 30 ?

I downloaded a wifi analysis app and it shows 6ghz band wifi 6e mode available but the ssid set on the tplink doesn't show up on the wifi settings section of the phone.

Not sure. Got the 5g update few days ago but 6E wasn't working then.

Just happened to reboot and check my WiFi yesterday and it was working.

Now a little later when I went to bed it stopped working, no 6E now.

Back