User Review Motorola Z4 and the Moto Mods: the modular ecosystem that was brilliant, but failed

Introduction:

The mobile phone is ubiquitous nowadays. Everyone from a CEO to a roadside hawker has one. In fact, I was once requested by a beggar while I was waiting at a red traffic light signal to pay her via Google Pay or PayTM when I gave her the excuse that I had forgotten to take my wallet. One might forget to take a water bottle or a wallet, but no one leaves home without their beloved phones. It is one step towards mankind's march to a cybernetic future.

While the pre-touch screen era had some truly innovative design elements like the camcorder shaped Nokia N93 and post introduction of the iPhone had some promise in the form of phones like the Xperia Play, the innovation factor more or less stood still when the manufacturers were content to sit on their collective backsides and take notes from Apple. Those who innovated were punished- LG is a notable example. LG had some truly great phones like the V10, V20 (which I still use today) which were actually built to last and be consumer friendly. The last swansong from LG- the Wing had came straight out of the left field. However, in the mobile phone world, I see that such extreme innovation tended to be punished (in LG's case, this was kind of justified since their software support and updates were slower than Indian government offices).

However, what I have with me today is something that seems to be forgotten in the sands of modern mobile history- a Motorola Z series phone. Starting from the original Motorola Z, the Z series phones were razor thin, svelte and solid feeling devices that promised to be more than just a smartphone. Motorola (or maybe under the stewardship of Lenovo, who were the new owners) envisioned that these would integrate into the lifestyles of its users with 'Moto Mods'. The Moto Mods were accessories that could magnetically latch on to the back of a Z series smartphone, link up to it via the pogo pins and turn the phone into something else. The notable ones were:

1) Hasselblad True Zoom Camera- turned the phone to a full blown Hasselblad branded camera with OIS and EIS for photos and videos, xenon flash and physical buttons.

2) JBL Soundboost- turned the phone to a boombox with its own kickstand.

3) Insta-Share Projector- turned the phone into a pico projector.

4) Polaroid Insta-Share Printer- turned the phone to a Polaroid camera that printed 2x3" photos

5) TurboPower Pack- latched on to the phone and added another 3500 mAh.

6) 360 Camera- had a 360 degree camera capable of shooting 4K video.

7) 5G Pack- added 5G connectivity to the phone.

8) GamePad- turned the phone into a game console with analog sticks

9) Amazon Alexa Smart Speaker- turned the phone to something like an Amazon Echo

10) Motorola Style Shell- a protective case for the phone.

There were more mods offered by third party companies.

What I have with me now is a Motorola Z4 along with some of the mods listed above. These are owned by nick.knack91011 in Delhi, but he had loaned these to me for some time. I had been using the phone along with the mods and thought that I should pen down what I thought about these.

One look at the Z4's spec sheet and the first reaction would be 'Meh. Another mid ranger. What's so special about this?' SD 675, 4GB RAM, 128GB internal storage, a 48MP camera (a garden variety 12MP camera with a quad-Bayer filter which was normal at that time) all powered by a 3600 mAh battery are nothing to be excited about- especially in late 2022. The impression doesn't change at the front either- just another 6.5 inch FHD AMOLED screen with a teardrop notch. The rear and sides tells a different story though. The aluminum frame with metal buttons look and feel good. The rear is made of frosted glass with a circular camera island that is a carry over from the original Motorola Z. Though the phone is quite thin, it doesn't feel flimsy or bend prone. The 3.5 mm jack is a welcome addition to this phone- the audio output is quite loud and clean through this as well. The main reason my friend chose the Z4 over the Z3 which had a SD835 and more RAM was that the Z4 had a bigger battery, a more efficient chipset and the 3.5 mm audio jack.

The mods are another story altogether. My friend owns the Alexa Speaker, JBL Soundboost, TurboPower and the Insta-Share projector along with the Z4. The Z series phones aren't the first phones to have this kind of a modular setup. The old LG G5 comes to mind which also supported external accessories like a B&O Hi-Fi headphone amp. However, the integration was nowhere as smooth and seamless as the Moto Mods- the G5 needed to be rebooted every time a mod was changed.

PXL_20221113_043250026.jpg

I can't help but be appreciative of how the Moto Mods are designed. All of the above mentioned mods that are with this phone have their own inbuilt batteries that can either be charged on their own or would charge along with the phone if they are latched on to the phone's back. This is great since this avoids the phone's main battery getting drained and in the long run lengthens the battery health. The Moto Mods section in the phone's UI provides control over the mod behavior, firmware updates, usage guides and battery levels. The integration is seamless- just slap a mod on the back, it gets connected automatically and starts working. The magnets make sure that they stay in place- no faffing about with fiddly latches that would break. The whole ecosystem is about extending longevity and not of planned obsolescence- I can tell that these are made to last for a long time. Having access to the battery levels of the mods can ensure that we take the precaution not to overcharge or discharge them completely. The mods themselves have buttons that show the rough charge levels or in some cases, if the battery is charged.

The Z4:

Plain from the front, distinctive from the sides and back. Though I'm not an AMOLED fan, this one can be quite color accurate. Just set the color profile to natural and turn on the night light and we have a very color accurate and a natural looking display.
PXL_20221113_043405289.jpg

Very thin. But not fragile or bend prone. Solid build.

PXL_20221113_043519444.jpg

Frosted back looks and feels nice.

PXL_20221113_043418330.jpg

PXL_20221113_043607930.jpg
Though the battery is 'only' 3600 mAh, the clean OS and if this phone is used as a secondary device like I did, the battery endurance is nothing to sneeze at. Just look at the 8 hour plus video playback time. Also, this thing has held charge for 5 days- it would have lasted for another half a day as well. This is without using the TurboPower battery pack mods. I had been using all the other mods since the first charge (including the projector).
Screenshot_20221112-223402.png

A look at the mod manager screen.

Screenshot_20221113-100739.png

The Mods:

1) TurboPower: I find that this one is more than just an ordinary power bank. There are two modes that can be accessed in the Moto Mods menu- Turbo Power charging mode and efficiency mode. The efficiency mdoe is particularly useful since it limits the phone's battery to getting charged to only 80%. This is great news for the battery longevity. My friend charges the phone only through the TurboPower mods only up to 80% and doesn't let them get discharged fully often. The mod also has power indicator leds at the back along with a button that lets us know the battery level. The icing on the cake is that even though this mod is not very thick, it adds another 3500 mAH to the existing battery of the phone. Very useful, very practical.

PXL_20221113_042836297.jpg

2) JBL Soundboost: Has two speakers at the rear. They are covered with a metal grille. There is also a metal stand that feels very solid that helps to prop up the phone and can provide an immersive viewing and listening experience. This mod has a 1100 mAh battery that lasts for around 8 to 10 hours. In terms of sound quality, there is a definite bump in the volume levels. The focus is on mid bass, mids and the lower part of the high ends. It's good for casual music listening and for watching videos. I used this mod the most. This shined when I was doing some routine work or chores around the house.

PXL_20221113_042916714~2.jpg

PXL_20221113_043853640.jpg
3) Amazon Alexa Smart Speaker: Similar to the JBL Soundboost in the fact that it has two 3mm drivers. The rear is covered by fabric like the Echo speakers. Though there is no kickstand, the resting angle is natural for listening to audio and watching videos. The battery life also seems to be similar to the Soundboost. However, I found that the audio was clear in the Soundboost- highs and mids especially. This one was a little more muffled. Since I hate Alexa (and all other assistants), I didn't test that part of this speaker at all.

PXL_20221113_042813754.jpg

4) Insta-Share Projector: I've saved the best for the last. This one's engineered by Motorola like the TurboPower mod. It's quite solidly built and has excellent attention to detail- just take a look at the solid aluminum stand with the rubber feet. There is a metal power button that turns this on along with a keystone adjustment wheel. There is a small fan on the bottom along with an intake vent that takes care of cooling the hot projector lamp. Though this mod has a battery around 1100 mAh, it would get depleted quickly in around an hour. The other drawback is that one needs to rely on a Bluetooth speaker or the inbuilt loud speaker for sound. I have doubts about the longevity of the lamp as well- quite unsure as to how long it would last, if it could be changed or if we can get a replacement lamp at all.

PXL_20221113_042826329~2.jpgPXL_20221113_044020208.jpg

PXL_20221113_044129697.jpgPXL_20221113_044348829.jpg
PXL_20221113_044602083.jpgPXL_20221113_044624361.jpg
My friend had the Gamepad mod, but he had sold it sometime back. He told me that it had no latency, the buttons had been tactile and the analog sticks were good. He had tried out the Hasselblad mod and had reported that the quality was nothing special at normal levels and came into life only when zoom was used. He was interested in using the Polaroid mod, but was on the fence about buying one.

Conclusion:

This has to be one of the biggest examples of a phone that is more than a collective set of numbers on a spec sheet. The phone by itself is quite nice- well engineered, great battery life, a clean OS and seems to be designed for consumers than for planned obsolescence.
This phone along with the mods is something that integrates into a user's lifestyle in a useful and a meaningful way. The Soundboost and the Alexa speaker provided me company while I was doing mundane work or chores. The projector was a boon for sharing photos or watching videos- an amazing party trick. The Gamepad would have made this into a credible gaming phone as well. If Apple had made these for the iPhones, the world would have lost their collective marbles.

So it's a crying shame that this idea was conceptualized by Motorola and these mods were atrociously priced at launch. I think that projector was around 20K in India. As with some brilliant and innovative products, this one ended up getting overlooked by the market- as a result of the ridiculous pricing and poor marketing clout. In case of the Z4, the specs weren't doing this any favors either- 4GB RAM was outdated even back then. I don't think this phone can be daily driven as a primary phone. The hardware could choke up quickly with the addition of social networking and Google related apps. Only the connoisseurs of the weird and unusual like my friend would keep these around. It was wonderful to experience this phone along with the mods. I'm glad that there are still people who think out of the box in this world (case in point- the foldables).

Special thanks to nick.knack91011 for loaning me these.

A good review. Enjoyed reading it. I did not know that there were so many mods for the Z line-up. Motorola phones have always held a special place in my heart. I really loved their design language for the phones which launched during 2010-2016. Thin, sleek, curvy, easy to hold, not too big in the hands, front facing speakers, proper dual sim plus microSD support and not to forget the great software experience.
I was a big fan of the Moto X series. The ones which let you customize its colors and the back. Shame that customization was only available for the customers in US. I personally owned the Motorola Moto X-Play, a great phone for its price. Had the 16 GB variant. Again, a great design and even better software experience. Nothing came close to it at that time.
And look what has happened to Motorola phones now. They just keep pumping out phones priced very close to each other. I do not like their design. The camera bumps looks odd and wonky. Even though they are committed to near stock android experience, the updates and security patches are slow to arrive. I would like to purchase a Moto X/G phone from those days. I'd be happy to use them as my secondary device. Maybe its just wishful thinking.

Special thanks to nick.knack91011 for loaning me these.

Haha , no problem. Love the review and glad you loved em. Love your writing , now do the gamesir pro next !

I would say though the z2 force i had before z4 was way more powerful , had better gpu and 6gb ram. Just that z4 came later had latest android and had 3.5 mm jack and pen support made me switch . But z2 force was a better phone overall especially with its indestructable screen , shame how moto downgraded the specs in z3 and z4.

Last edited:
@lepermessiah
Good review mate.
Have a cousin who is an avid moto mod fan. he is in the same dillema as you.

Had a moto x force. brilliant device. literally indestructible. Had to retire it due to aging battery. still have it somewhere in my room.
Owned Moto G5 plus for a brief period. display broke due to an accident. absolutely loved the device.
Indeed i bought 2 moto g5 plus from our forum friends recently. since i liked it very much.

Also i saw your review in team-bhp.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadg...moto-mods-modular-phone-ecosystem-failed.html

Should have such mods for the Galaxy or iOS line ups - or any other brand model that have annual reiterations as the mods would be useful with every new device and that would make people invest in the mods as well as the future phones of the same brand..

Should have such mods for the Galaxy or iOS line ups - or any other brand model that have annual reiterations as the mods would be useful with every new device and that would make people invest in the mods as well as the future phones of the same brand..
Second this only apple or Samsung can do this successfully outside of china becuase no one else seemed to have a market share in the flagship lineup worthy of investment. It would be a beautiful when users can customize at least one aspect of their phones using mods.

Btw now that I have finally upgraded might be willing to let go of moto with my mods ( as much as I love them ) , to a connoisseur as long as they take good care of it.

Back