MSEDCL launches scheme to distribute one crore LED bulbs (EESL / DELP)

Dad bought one LED bulb for 100rs the other day, rated at 9w. Its bright alright but it has no warranty or MRP printed on the cover so i thought it was just another chinese-rebranded or locally made.
What is the main difference (besides material used in the bulbs) between this LED bulb and CFL? Advantage and disadvantages if any? Anyone?

LED bulbs have long life, at least 8-10 times* that of CFLs, and therefore save both energy and cost in the medium term.
*proof/citation needed.
Con of good quality LED bulbs: very expensive (if they indeed cost 400rs for a standard model).

Last edited:
LED's are efficient, have a long life span but are expensive. CFL's are slightly less efficient and cheap, but they aren't durable and you'll expose yourself to Mercury when it breaks.

Got something to say about CFLs. Many years ago there was a serious short-circuit in our local transformer. I was standing under a lighted CFL bulb at that moment. The bulb exploded right over my head. The bulb was all burned. I immediately went to the dealer from where i had bought it and he didn't believe me. Told me i intentionally burned it with fire to claim warranty lol.

At bangalore we have DELP which does the same and i bought all the 10 (Max per person) its really good... equivalent to a tubelight 40W...
We have DELP in Himachal as well. We are getting 7W bulbs for 100bucks each and 3 yrs warranty. Warranty will have to be claimed through the electricity department. There is no limit though as I have already bought 20 and might buy more as soon as my house is finished.

We have DELP in Himachal as well. We are getting 7W bulbs for 100bucks each and 3 yrs warranty. Warranty will have to be claimed through the electricity department. There is no limit though as I have already bought 20 and might buy more as soon as my house is finished.
Is DELP the company which manufactures the bulbs? How bright is the 7w bulb?
I'm tempted to get a dealership lol. Please send any details in this regard.

DELP is Domeatic Efficient Lightening Program. The company responsible for this program is EESL (Energy Efficiency Services Limited - a JV company of PSUs of Ministry of Power, GoI).

Oh its by the govt. i see now. I guess they wont let third party sell their products (for a profit).
Any other good LED bulb? Trusted manufacturer who gives warranty. I use CFLs bought for 300+ with only 6 months warranty. Might as well get LEDs next time.

I got few of those 100rs LEDs - distributed in our office canteen. Those are made by Wipro. (the Eveready combo I got from PayTm)

IMG_20160212_205042.jpg

that happened post allotment of distribution.. also, we basically are appointed for tapping rural market.
Forget rural market man, its popular even in urban areas.
Whom can i talk to for distribution and sales? Couldn't find any info on their site.

Some small updates.
EESL has given contracts for distribution statewise..

None in my state. The only state in the NE which the distribution reach is Assam and there are 7-8 states here. :|
Snapdeal is also selling them for 99 but charging 40/- for shipping.
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/eesl-9w-led-bulb-pack/624044731165

I tried to buy it the other day to find out that they do not ship to my location. :/
I got few of those 100rs LEDs - distributed in our office canteen. Those are made by Wipro. (the Eveready combo I got from PayTm)
here in UP, we are distributing bulbs made by OSRAM.

How good are they and warranty?
Is it safe to assume that all the brands "certified" by EESL have the best quality (quality as in glow not waning over time in a few months)?
Also while hanging around in the electrical market I came across tons of locally branded LED bulbs. Some with MRPs as high as 400rs and some none printed on the package. Warranty info. is not clear, ranges from 6 months to 2 years. Cheapest one costs just 80 bucks. How "bad" do you think they will be? Consumers here buy them just because its cheap. A popular brand for LED bulbs here seems to be Philips.
for which area you are interested ? will try to find a link for you..

Manipur. No reply from EESL's side. I've already contacted someone who owns an electrical hardware store and he is interested. Would be nice if we can get the license and products to sell this side. Please tell me more about it. You can PM me with the details.
Thanks.

Back