Budget 51-70k MSI gaming laptop. How good or bad?

nemo_online

Disciple
I wanted to know the thoughts of MSI laptop buyers on the build quality, user experience and after sales service in India.

They seemed to be the cheapest in the market with a Rtx 3050 / 3060 configuration.

I am considering a gaming laptop within 70k.

Would prefer to get feedback from people who have actually used the laptops or have close ones whom they have seen using the laptops.

Regards & thanks

I am using a GF65 Katana with i5 10500H and RTX 3060(75Watt).
Though the TGP is a bit low but with a few tweaks, You can make it perform like a 100watt Razor Blade.
Here is my timespy benchmark.

I have a +175MHz OC on the 3060 using the voltage curve option of MSI afterburner.
And CPU is undervolted -75mv on all 6 cores.
I would say performance is absolutely amazing for the price. If you manage to pick it for 87k - some bank offer in next flipkart sale, it is absolutely paisawasool and desktop GPU prices are ridiculous, that makes this a really good deal.
Apart from that reliability and everything else has been spot on for me as well.

Attachments

• 88888--.PNG
    88888--.PNG
    720.3 KB · Views: 101
My experience with msi gpus rma has been good so i doesn't think service is bad.
I've had positive rma experience with both Taiwanese brands asus and msi

I second the above. Multiple gaming laptops I had including an Alienware ended up having parts replaced multiple times (GPU failures, Power adapter tripping, DC cables burning out, Speaker distortion). At this point a good warranty (Preferably 3 years) is pretty much a must have if I decide to buy a laptop for gaming.

MSI support is quite bad. Also the build quality on the cheaper models is questionable. The hinge area especially seems prone to developing cracks which worsen over time until it breaks completely. This happened to two people I know who had the GL63 series. The plastic tabs which allow the bottom half to snap together break easily. Something to watch out for while opening it for cleaning. Otherwise functionally the laptops are good and the cooling system is quite beefy compared to other manufacturers.

I second the above. Multiple gaming laptops I had including an Alienware ended up having parts replaced multiple times (GPU failures, Power adapter tripping, DC cables burning out, Speaker distortion). At this point a good warranty (Preferably 3 years) is pretty much a must have if I decide to buy a laptop for gaming.

MSI support is quite bad. Also the build quality on the cheaper models is questionable. The hinge area especially seems prone to developing cracks which worsen over time until it breaks completely. This happened to two people I know who had the GL63 series. The plastic tabs which allow the bottom half to snap together break easily. Something to watch out for while opening it for cleaning. Otherwise functionally the laptops are good and the cooling system is quite beefy compared to other manufacturers.
instead of going for msi hp,dell offer extended warranty for cheap get that

i think any brand's warranty is only as good as your local franchise's neeyat.
i've had bad experience with a gigabyte service center but a wonderful experience with another.
similar when my galaxy note phone broke and it was covered under accidental damage. one sammy center refused and denied to even service it under samsung care. another one no issues!

Thank you all. Also found out that MSI warranties are all “carry in” in nature. That is a “no-go” for me. I need on-site warranty. Have my eyes on the Dell G15 with Rtx 3050 for 70k for now. Gaming laptops within the 50-70k are notorious for poor battery backup. Have read good things about the dell. Fingers crossed.
Will wait for some days for prices to drop or some card offers perhaps.

P.S. the suggestion for the 87k MSI is way above my budget.

Thank you all. Also found out that MSI warranties are all “carry in” in nature. That is a “no-go” for me. I need on-site warranty. Have my eyes on the Dell G15 with Rtx 3050 for 70k for now. Gaming laptops within the 50-70k are notorious for poor battery backup. Have read good things about the dell. Fingers crossed.
Will wait for some days for prices to drop or some card offers perhaps.

P.S. the suggestion for the 87k MSI is way above my budget.
dell one has excellent cooling,avoid asus tuf series i was looking for a gaming laptop recently and cancelled my asus tuf order after seeing its cooling performance. it has way too less intake vents. Hp dell have clear large vents thus no thermal issues.

dell one has excellent cooling,avoid asus tuf series i was looking for a gaming laptop recently and cancelled my asus tuf order after seeing its cooling performance. it has way too less intake vents. Hp dell have clear large vents thus no thermal issues.

Thanks for the update. Have always been a huge asus fan but when it comes to their lower end gaming laptops (actually not so low-end if you have to shell out 70k) I have always had my reservations. Anyway, sad reality is that laptops are insanely overpriced in India and will continue to remain so.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Certain other priorities came up so holding on to my PC gaming for the moment. GTX 1050TI is my saviour for the moment!

Yup can confirm. MSI after sales is not the best. Have owned a few laptops gaming and otherwise. Brands like dell, asus etc have onsite which is underrated imo. I only learned the value when I had to take the MSI laptop to middle of nowhere malls where the authorized service centers are.

Yup can confirm. MSI after sales is not the best. Have owned a few laptops gaming and otherwise. Brands like dell, asus etc have onsite which is underrated imo. I only learned the value when I had to take the MSI laptop to middle of nowhere malls where the authorized service centers are.
Can confirm too. Had an MSI laptop and having parts replaced or getting tech support was a PAIN. I still think dell is supreme even if it's a bit controversial. There's a reason why BPO companies mainly outsource from dell...

Back