Laptops MSI GF63 (8GB/1TB HDD) : Slow to an extent - RAM & SSD?

Hi there!

I have a new MSI GF63. I don't game tbh, but got it from a friend.

The thing is, this thing has a wee bit slow normal speed - is that owing to 8GB RAM? or the fact it's operating on an HDD as opposed to an SSD?

Should I install another 8GB RAM, a 256GB SSD, or both?

Kindly advise.
Thanks!

SSD, easily. I recently put together a test setup for a graphics card with a ddr3 era quadcore, 2gb of memory and a slow 120gb ssd from 2013. I didn't notice any slowdowns when booting, browsing and downloading test utilities, I never felt I had to wait for the system to do anything.

Not to be elitist but I don't see any reason not to have an SSD, at least as a boot drive, these days. I was troubleshooting an HP Workstation last week that had a spinning disk and I could make my unnecessarily complicated cup of coffee (hot water, bru instant powder, french vanilla creamer, milk powder, cinnamon sugar cubes and a dash of honey) while it still hadn't loaded windows.

I started to stretch my arms with that test setup above and I was in windows before I could fully extend my elbows. It's really that drastic of a difference.

Last edited:
SSD, easily. I recently put together a test setup for a graphics card with a ddr3 era quadcore, 2gb of memory and a slow 120gb ssd from 2013. I didn't notice any slowdowns when booting, browsing and downloading test utilities, I never felt I had to wait for the system to do anything.

Not to be elitist but I don't see any reason not to have an SSD, at least as a boot drive, these days. I was troubleshooting an HP Workstation last week that had a spinning disk and I could make my unnecessary complicated cup of coffee (hot water, bru instant powder, french vanilla creamer, milk powder, cinnamon sugar cubes and a dash of honey) while it still hadn't loaded windows.

I started to stretch my arms with that test setup above and I was in windows before I could fully extend my elbows. It's really that drastic of a difference.

Thanks a lot. Gonna get a 256GB SSD in that case, will set the system & the regular apps on the SSD, & use the HDD for storage purpose only.

In case if need arise over time, will look to upgrade the RAM.

Back