MTNL broadband Speed Issue Complaint

raksrules

Elite
I was till now on the MTNL 450 Rs plan wherein I was getting 512 kbps full day. I just updated to their Narrowband 550 unlimited which gives 1 Mbps 7AM-7PM and rest of the time 1.5 Mbps.
The plan has been changed in the MTNL system as well as confirmed by the MTNL aunty.
But even after plan change my speeds haven't been updated. Plan change was done like 3+ days back.
Under the modem webpage, the downstream shows as 715 Kbps (and comes in 700 range even if i shut down and restart) and upstream is like 850 kbps.
So I am led to believe that they haven't updated my speeds at all till now.
Where do I complain about this ?
I called 1504 and they give me a landline number which no one picks up.
Called 198 and they don't have an option for speed issue but anyways did the complaint and some guy called but i wasn't at home so my dad picked up the phone and he couldn't really explain the issue. In the 198 call I did mention my mobile number but they never called on that.
Is there any email or any alternate number where I can call and someone knowledgeable can answer and understand what I am saying and can resolve the issue ?

Like in the last thread.. The problem was not in your plan mate.. Tell them your port has been limited to downstream of 715kbps..u wont ever get more speed than that.. Tell them to either change your port or increase the downstream and upstream, if u pester them a lot, they will finally do it..

Im still on the older plan u mentioned.. 768 kbps during the day.. 1mbps till 12am,2 mbps after...

@prateekS

But I think those 1504 aunties won't understand zilch when I tell upstream and downstream. I know the downstream is limited to 715 kbps and hence I won't ever get more than that. But I need to catch hold of the person who understands what I want to convey.

@prateekS

But I think those 1504 aunties won't understand zilch when I tell upstream and downstream. I know the downstream is limited to 715 kbps and hence I won't ever get more than that. But I need to catch hold of the person who understands what I want to convey.

Talk to the dgm of your exchange.. That's the only way to go..

Guys still facing issues. Last week I got my plan changed (again) to 2Mbps till 8GB and 1 Mbps thereafter. This is because MTNL has done this "2Mbps for all" thing.
Still my downstream was not changed. But out of blue yesterday, my downstream was 2048 which is what I expect. Speeds were proper and around 2 Mbps but then once i shut down modem and restarted, downstream back to 700 range.
I have no idea how to permanently fix this problem.

Does anyone know whom to complain about the MTNL speed issue ? I am on the 2 Mbps and 1 Mbps after 8GB FUP plan and my downstream is set at 7xx Kbps only. It never changes. I got a number 022-24361221 which is supposedly of the prabhadevi exchange (or whatever) where they do the speed thing.
I remember calling some prabhedevi number long back. I got the above number by calling 1504.
But no one picks up on that number.
Anyone knows where to complain about the speed as doing so in 1504 is futile.
I want someone technical person who understand the real issue and fixes it.

My brother called 12540 and the person told that the speed has been set as per my plan of 2 Mbps. He asked him few other things but my brother has absolutely no technical knowledge to explain the actual issue to the person so basically the call was futile. I am in Pune so i cannot call as i don't have MTNL landline here.
The other prabhadevi number is useless, no one ever picks up.
I also don't have access to the MTNL connection so i cannot check the downstream. My brother did 192.1.68.1.1 on his mobile but he says it goes to google. No idea what the hell he is doing. Completely helpless situation for me.
Now I don't know if those folks will pickup the phone tomorrow as it is saturday. I will be in Mumbai tomorrow.

Feeling very frustrated due to this speed thing not getting fixed.

As other people have suggested, either the local lineman can make the change or the DGM in the tel. exchange can also get the change done.
Depends who is more accessible in your situation. My guess its the DGM or someone higher at the tel. exchange.
An official complaint letter and followup will be needed.
I remember people used to call up the prabhadevi exchange and their issues used to get sorted out. otherwise a visit would definitely get the job done.
Saturday is a off day sadly. see if you can go to the local tel exchange and get hold of someone.

Guys found something. It is not MTNL at fault but my line(s) in my house.
Now let me explain and also please help me answer my doubts.
Now I have 6 parallel lines in my house.
3 of them are in main living room itself.
1 in another living room
2 in each of the bedrooms

Now here is the scenario

Below line 1,2,3 are in same room.
Also speed mentioned below is downstream as I see In modem page.

Line 1 - speed is around 700 Kbps
Line 2 - speed is 1300 Kbps
Line 3 - INET light refuses to come

Line 4 (another living room) - INET light refuses to come

Line 5 (Bedroom 1) - Downstream 2048kbps which is best and expected to be this everywhere.

Line 6 (Bedroom 2) - INET line refuses to come

Now I cannot connect the modem in bedroom else I don't get signal in main living room. Best bet for now is connecting in main hall where I am getting 1300 Kbps.

Can anyone help me demystify this mystery and suggest anything I can do ?

PS: telephone is connected to only 2 of these points. Rest all have nothing on them.

Last edited:
u can always get a repeater after installing modem in line 5

I have a spare router which I am planning to first try (if I manage to make its repeater part working).
If not then suggest some cheap repeater. Also hopefully it's setup should be simple as in give SSID of MTNL and it should connect and repeat the signal.
I would really like those which can be plugged directly in the wall socket without any wires.
Also do repeaters tend to reduce over speed ?
Like if I connect to MTNL modem directly I expect 2 Mbps but then when I connect to repeater (which is wirelessly connected to MTNL wifi model) I get only 1.5mbps
Else the setup is useless for me. I would rather connect where I am getting 1.3 Mbps point.

Not sure how but I am getting good speeds now (hope I don't jinx it), may be last month I was throttled after 8GB usage, I don't know. But still the downstream kept showing 2048 but speeds I got was in ballpark of 1Mbps.
But with this new month I am now getting almost full speed at 1.7 - 1.8 Mbps. I was able to stream a 720p HD video on YouTube without buffering.
I think I will keep checking my usage on its website.

Back