Mumbai - 1 MBPS download speeds on Tata Indicom throttled after upgrade

cybermantas

Disciple
Yeah, thats 1 MBPS and not 1Mbps ... I was on the 512 Kb Infinity plan for INR 1,100 per month... been using it for more than an year now (I stay in Bandra, Almeida Park) and then I got this call from Tata saying that I could upgrade to 750 plan for just 1350 ... I was apprehensive about my download speeds but decided to try anyways...

I upgraded and as soon as I did, my download speeds became 80 KBPS ... you can take the authenticity of the information on face value since my Two and a half men episodes used to get downloaded in 3-5 minutes flat earlier... (Using torrent)

I went to the account details page on Tata website and I checked... before I upgraded, my data usage showed downloads as "0" while upload information was there... but in the last 1 week or so... both downloads and uploads have data usage against them...

I guess I made a mistake and by making the upgrade, I somehow ventured under their scanner ... anyone have similar experience or know how to get out of this fix and back to 1 MBPS speeds ?

cybermantas said:
Yeah, thats 1 MBPS and not 1Mbps ... I was on the 512 Kb Infinity plan for INR 1,100 per month... been using it for more than an year now (I stay in Bandra, Almeida Park) and then I got this call from Tata saying that I could upgrade to 750 plan for just 1350 ... I was apprehensive about my download speeds but decided to try anyways...

I upgraded and as soon as I did, my download speeds became 80 KBPS ... you can take the authenticity of the information on face value since my Two and a half men episodes used to get downloaded in 3-5 minutes flat earlier... (Using torrent)

I went to the account details page on Tata website and I checked... before I upgraded, my data usage showed downloads as "0" while upload information was there... but in the last 1 week or so... both downloads and uploads have data usage against them...

I guess I made a mistake and by making the upgrade, I somehow ventured under their scanner ... anyone have similar experience or know how to get out of this fix and back to 1 MBPS speeds ?

Not sure, but If I've understood it correctly, you were getting 1MBps on their 512kbps plan, and still you opted for some upgrade.

May I know WHY? ... and if you have some reason I'd say "Greed is bad". I hope I'm wrong in my understanding.

That is just a bad decision. Obviously the Indicom people were screwing up pretty bad and all you gave them was a chance to fix their mistake. Should have kept exploiting.

Well, lemme think.

Before : 8Mbps(1MBps) on 512kbps plan

After : 80Kbps on 750kbps plan!

Well, definitely an idiotic decision. Also seems like tata is monitoring various online sites as another docomo user pointed out.

Well well... not really the kind of comments I expected...

In my defense, its always easier to criticise in hindsight... I obviously didnt fathom that things would come to a head in such a manner... as to the actual reason for going with the upgrade, besides "greed is good" as quoted in the 1st response, my browsing speeds were not as blazing fast, or even satisfactory (this is not a relative estimate, just an absolute one... I "felt" that the browsing was slow) ... and thought of improving it through an upgrade... the rest of what followed, i guess you all have a pretty good idea...

What I did however hope to learn was if any of you had had a similar experience... or if you knew how torrents were not capped and if what was somehow possible to revert back to previous status... either through a downgrade or a new connection option or something...

Failing this, are there any other ISPs from whom I can expect similar (~200 - 500 kBPs?) download speeds for a similar price or something ? Maybe one of the local ones ?

Well, learnt this the hard way too, was getting any internet pack from docomo with validity of a year, irrespective of the actual validity of the pack, thru a flaw. However, as they say, greed is bad and blah....

It used to work with 6GB recharge of 95~Then went greedy and put an 8GB recharge. Poof.....validity of 1 month only then!

Now that it is gone, i doubt you will be able to get it back, since your plans will be reset. But if you want to try, go ahead. Who know....

Back