[Mumbai] Indus Towers building common Fiber Infrastructure?

raksrules

Elite
Hi All. 2 days back, one guy from Indus Towers came to my home (my dad is chairman of society) seeking permission to install Fiber Infrastructure in my building. They were not from any ISP. They told the infrastructure will be leased to any operator like Jio Fiber, Airtel Xtreme or Tata broadband (or someone else) and our society will not be paying any money for this setup. I am attaching the page which that person gave me.
They mentioned that this way, in same building, all fiber operators can provide service and people can get whichever service they want and the fiber from Homepass (the unit installed on top floor near terrace door) to person's home will be done by that particular telecom operator and cost of that wire (as per length) will have to be borne by the customer.

He told me they are doing this all over Mumbai to setup the Fiber infrastructure which will also be used for 5G (no clue how). They are not installing any mobile tower on my building.

Now, about a month back, Airtel guys came in our building and told they want to setup similar thing but for their broadband and they did setup a big box on terrace with fiber and has like 15 or ports to give connection to people in the wing who needs the airtel broadband connection. I showed this to Indus guy (which was not technically well off so was more confused) and he sent pics of the airtel installed boxes (there is no airtel marking on any of the things) and sent to his superior who was more informed and I talked to him and he told he was going to install the same stuff and now will clarify with airtel on few things.

PS: This may be happening in other cities but I am in Mumbai so I am mentioning the same here.

Attachments

• Indus 1.jpg
    Indus 1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Indus 2.jpg
    Indus 2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 105
He told me they are doing this all over Mumbai to setup the Fiber infrastructure which will also be used for 5G (no clue how). They are not installing any mobile tower on my building.
Any concrete info. on this part as this depends on the societies wish if they wish to opt or not.
They might be simply wooing customers by saying so where the end customer int aware and they simply agree.
Few years ago Airtel came to our society in Mumbai for a common dish thing with many offers but as most of us are hooked to tatasky we declined.

I know nothing about this but what are the terms they are offering? Who has final say on who gets to lease the line? If the society has no say in who they're leasing it to, they might tie up exclusively with one operator and screw over all the residents.

I know nothing about this but what are the terms they are offering? Who has final say on who gets to lease the line? If the society has no say in who they're leasing it to, they might tie up exclusively with one operator and screw over all the residents.
Yup. You got it. They are setting up it for free for now because they want to have monopoly on the distribution. It happens all the time. At first they'll invite all the ISPs but with time only the ISPs with deep pockets will be allowed. Customer will be the loser. I'm one such victim.

The fiber cable is cheaper than CAT cable and single cable has multiple fibers so one fiber cable can connect single apartment to 10 different ISPs. Fiber cables don't need any device and can be distributed through electrical conduits. Societies should do it all by themselves.

Back