My 1st Airbnb experience- BittERrr but ultimately Relieved!

nRiTeCh

Skilled
My and my wife was to visit Mumbai from Pune for the period 14th Apr - 17th Apr 2022 for some work as well as for leisure purpose.

Unfortunately, during that period my family in Mumbai was out of town and I didn't wanted to stay at any relatives place.

So getting to the point I looked nowhere and always wanted to gave a shot to Airbnb. Booked one property after careful consideration wrt price + reviews + location balance also the host was rated as SUPERHOST!

For 3 night 4 days the entire stay costed us Rs. 5550/- no breakfast or anything which was fine as its Bandra with tons of places to eat and explore.

The hunting and booking process etc. all went smooth.
Instantly after payment, the Host contacted me and obviously shot him few essential queries for the facilities he mentioned on the page. He said It’s a room on first floor of an old Portuguese villa in Bandra west, they are having 3 rooms in the apartment/villa and bathroom is just outside the room but dedicated one to every room. We can cook food, listen to music etc. I kept looking/verifying at the posted pics on the page and all looked fine.

1653055087240.png

So finally the day arrived and we came down to Mumbai, hired a Uber cab and journey begins. As per the map location shared, we arrived at the location but in no way there was any Villa hosted zone which one could imagine. It was a slum zone! My wife obviously was shocked and uncomfortable. There were those slummy houses, few warehouses and old buildings. We ringed the host & he shared his housekeepers no. and based on his landmarks we kept roaming in the cab in the same zone until that person showed himself. We got down and preferred to walk with him and to our surprise we arrived at the exact same pin location where we first arrived.

Property Exp. aka Chaos:

He opened the door of one shop/office looking building and then we had to climb those metal stairs upward to the top floor. Once arrived the area did looked like the pics posted on airbnb page but only partially & the shocking exp. just began...
Top floor and the room was extremely hot and humid, no AC. Fans doing reverse job of blowing hot air all over.
There were 2 rooms and the house boy opened the one booked for us, it was a tiny room, with AC but bonus of smell of cigarettes and tobacco + bonus mosquitoes & zero view/ventilation etc.
We were totally pissed off and wife was extremely angry, annoyed and insecure there. Obviously the property didn't at all looked like a fit for any family or descent people whereas reviews did mentioned about families enjoying their stays there (god only knows what type of families ever stayed here) Came out and we asked to show the washroom, it was located beyond the kitchen and was dirty rather filthy type.
More to that, washbasin and kitchen sink were common with all filth etc. totally dirty. Imagine you brush and spit in the same basin and wash utensils there? Who even does this, not even in rural places.
The utensils/cookware were properly kept but seemed they weren't used in ages.

Refer to my captured below snaps..

Airbnb property Pictures captured by us:

Entrance:

property entrance 2.jpg junkyard property entrance.jpg

Basin/Toilet:

common basins.jpg99b67dfe-8006-4c89-9af1-fe6e3b16592d.jpg common basins2.jpgcommon basins3.jpg unhygienic.jpg

Floor wall:
dirty messy flooring.jpg walls.jpg

Actual room:

is this even a room.jpg

Soon wife's voice raised and she wanted to get out of this shit ASAP! Hearing this from another room a babe came out (cant mind my words here as I want this to narrate as real as possible) she was wearing only a bra and down there, a wrapped sarong. And her appearance and actions were as if she was open to offer all those services to a client. We had a bit of chitchat with her & she said she is from Kurla and came to met her bf here and frequents him often here for private time who is staying here for a good 1 month. What more to say guys?? Obviously you got the clues..

We went to our room and I looked to cancel the booking but not before booking another..luckily I had chance to cancel and still get 65% refund the cancellation charges were Rs. 2221 and I would get a refund for rest only if done in next 20mins. We had no time to zero down on another booking & wasted time on airbnb where most of the hosts only respond hours later and parallely wife was hunting hotels on MMT. We did found few good 3-4 star hotels nearby so just 4 mins remaining for cancellation and I cancelled the booking, and without informing anyone, left this piece of scammed scandalous junkyard!

If this is what is hosted by a so called SUPERHOST we have no words beyond..

Partial Airbnb property Pictures posted by host (from the hosts angle):

1 (1).jpg 1 (2).jpg 1 (3).jpg1 (4).jpg 1 (6).jpg 1 (5).jpg

Then Hotel booking Exp: A great sigh of relief in the end..

Anyways, we kept walking until we reached proper roads from the slum shit. And began to book however, when we ringed in few hotels we were shocked by another thing...the hotel receptionist person was asking if our residency proof was Mumbai registered or another place, if Mumbai registered then they wont accept such bookings for localites no matter even if one books from mmt/goibibo etc. We were like wtf rule is this?
We had all the evidences if required why we are staying outside been a localite etc. and the official purpose of visit but 3-4 hotels turned down our offer.
Finally after 2 hours wasting time hungry and thirsty standing on summary road we decided to try our luck at a 3 star hotel in Khar hotel without calling, and finally a great relief! We got a great package there with no issues with our residency proof at all. But just for 3 days it was costing us a whooping 12.4k so we obliviously has to narrow down our stay compromising on one day but no regrets!
The entire stay was very pleasant, awesome rooms, great service, superb location and tasty food!

Khar hotel pics (no comparison at all with that Airbnb shitty junkyard:

1120x700?op=fit.jpg1120x700?op=fit - Copy.jpg1120x700?op=fit - Copy - Copy.jpg

About Airbnb booked property (in-short):
  • As can be seen earlier, The SUPERHOSTt has only posted partial good looking pics on the listing to woo customers however, again as per our posted pics, when we reached the place, it was nothing short of a junkyard in a slum zone or call it some one night stand scandalous banging place . Very unsafe and obviously not at all suitable for decent people/family/couple or even a lone innocent/descent person!
  • For a good 45 mins we were roaming around only to find this piece of junkyard or should we say a filthy place.
  • If host mentioned this junkyard as villa then a real villa for him will be some heavenly moon place.

We surely felt robbed off the trust and assurance esp. going on the reviews. Now I even doubt the reviews posted on airbnb,

Right now If you try to access the direct property link its no more accessible nor the room will appear in searches.

As for the stay, Extremely unpleasant, horrifying, terrible and pathetic cum insecure experience.

Escalation/Refund:

After we were back, I thought about giving a shot to Airbnb support by escalating our horrifying exp. First it was processed via chat followed by a call from some UK based no. And guess what I got a complete 100% refund!

The original property page https://www.airbnb.co.in/rooms/52248471 isn't accessible or seems de-listed from airbnb after our complaint, escalation with all proofs, images and facts. The owner/host named Rohan still has few more properties listed on his name or on someone else in nearby radius of 5-6 kms so beware..

1653057043504.png

1653056935421.png
This error while viewing the original listing.

However, I found that the exact same property is listed in others persons name/host. This is truly an open scam!

TIP: If you ever book any property, ask the host first to post an entire video inside of the property as well as the outside location to get a good glimpse before plunging..

Last edited:
Glad it ended well. I usually stick to reputed places. I want to avoid such last minute hassles when I'm going on vacation. I learnt this lesson when I was in final year of college. Planned a trip to goa with friends without booking hotels and the one my friend had a reference for ended up to be a place similar to the one you described (rooms rented by the hour). Ever since then I stick to known hotels or try to find good budget hotels through contacts in the destination.

If things look too good to be true, then it probably is.
Not trying to be a deek here, but given how good we Indians are when it comes to thugging, I would never trust something based on images shared, but rather use forums here to get a good opinion. I understand that given the paucity of time and to make the period more memorable, but I would still go the old fashion route of asking known people about feedback of any place before deciding to book.
Also, a bit surprised how Airbnb managed to give it's approval without even giving a visit. Definitely lost trust from a customer.
The Khar one definitely looks good for its offering.

Also, a bit surprised how Airbnb managed to give it's approval without even giving a visit. Definitely lost trust from a customer.
Does airbnb actually visits the property after listing, I dont think so. As someone in my acquaintance listed his home for rental and no one ever visited them from airbnb.
Its all biz dude it seems, no one cares to actually look into.

Goodluck to their biz then...
Not saying all are frauds but a foreign entity should definitely keep this in mind when doing biz in India. Maybe better sense would hit them when their profits take a hit.

AirBnB's are relatively good outside India, especially SEA countries. However, here I find them way more expensive than hotels.

Just about any big city I need to visit and stay in. I would first look on google maps at how the area is, the roads, photos from nearby businesses, etc.

This may not entirely help, but gives you a fair idea before you put your money down.

Experiences like these are why I don't believe Airbnb or Oyo. Sure, there are tonnes of wonderful properties and excellent hosts, but none of that matters when you end up with a traumatic experience like this. Google ratings are also a scam nowadays with so many fake ratings. As of now Tripadvisor reviews seem to be working for me. I try to book one of the Top 10 traveller ranked hotels in TA, even if I might need to stretch my budget a bit. With family, safety and comfort comes first.

This is really a pathetic experience. This is really bad and I only hope Airbnb gets rid of this scam.
I have been a long time Airbnb user (20 stays) and have been pretty fortunate enough to have all positive experiences so far. We have travelled all over India including Mumbai and now it is actually our first port of call for our trips. We tend to avoid the cheap backpacker hotels and prefer the superhosts with good number of reviews. However I do understand that just one unpleasant experience like this can actually make you lose your faith.
Their customer service is quite good though so you should have actually asked for compensating beyond just the refund. They actually gave me a 80 dollar voucher once due to a booking payment issue which was not even their fault.

Last edited:
My and my wife was to visit Mumbai from Pune for the period 14th Apr - 17th Apr 2022 for some work as well as for leisure purpose.

Unfortunately, during that period my family in Mumbai was out of town and I didn't wanted to stay at any relatives place.

So getting to the point I looked nowhere and always wanted to gave a shot to Airbnb. Booked one property after careful consideration wrt price + reviews + location balance also the host was rated as SUPERHOST!

For 3 night 4 days the entire stay costed us Rs. 5550/- no breakfast or anything which was fine as its Bandra with tons of places to eat and explore.

The hunting and booking process etc. all went smooth.
Instantly after payment, the Host contacted me and obviously shot him few essential queries for the facilities he mentioned on the page. He said It’s a room on first floor of an old Portuguese villa in Bandra west, they are having 3 rooms in the apartment/villa and bathroom is just outside the room but dedicated one to every room. We can cook food, listen to music etc. I kept looking/verifying at the posted pics on the page and all looked fine.

View attachment 134505

So finally the day arrived and we came down to Mumbai, hired a Uber cab and journey begins. As per the map location shared, we arrived at the location but in no way there was any Villa hosted zone which one could imagine. It was a slum zone! My wife obviously was shocked and uncomfortable. There were those slummy houses, few warehouses and old buildings. We ringed the host & he shared his housekeepers no. and based on his landmarks we kept roaming in the cab in the same zone until that person showed himself. We got down and preferred to walk with him and to our surprise we arrived at the exact same pin location where we first arrived.

Property Exp. aka Chaos:

He opened the door of one shop/office looking building and then we had to climb those metal stairs upward to the top floor. Once arrived the area did looked like the pics posted on airbnb page but only partially & the shocking exp. just began...
Top floor and the room was extremely hot and humid, no AC. Fans doing reverse job of blowing hot air all over.
There were 2 rooms and the house boy opened the one booked for us, it was a tiny room, with AC but bonus of smell of cigarettes and tobacco + bonus mosquitoes & zero view/ventilation etc.
We were totally pissed off and wife was extremely angry, annoyed and insecure there. Obviously the property didn't at all looked like a fit for any family or descent people whereas reviews did mentioned about families enjoying their stays there (god only knows what type of families ever stayed here) Came out and we asked to show the washroom, it was located beyond the kitchen and was dirty rather filthy type.
More to that, washbasin and kitchen sink were common with all filth etc. totally dirty. Imagine you brush and spit in the same basin and wash utensils there? Who even does this, not even in rural places.
The utensils/cookware were properly kept but seemed they weren't used in ages.

Refer to my captured below snaps..

Airbnb property Pictures captured by us:

Entrance:

View attachment 134514 View attachment 134513

Basin/Toilet:

View attachment 134508View attachment 134507 View attachment 134509View attachment 134510 View attachment 134515

Floor wall:
View attachment 134511 View attachment 134516

Actual room:

View attachment 134512

Soon wife's voice raised and she wanted to get out of this shit ASAP! Hearing this from another room a babe came out (cant mind my words here as I want this to narrate as real as possible) she was wearing only a bra and down there, a wrapped sarong. And her appearance and actions were as if she was open to offer all those services to a client. We had a bit of chitchat with her & she said she is from Kurla and came to met her bf here and frequents him often here for private time who is staying here for a good 1 month. What more to say guys?? Obviously you got the clues..

We went to our room and I looked to cancel the booking but not before booking another..luckily I had chance to cancel and still get 65% refund the cancellation charges were Rs. 2221 and I would get a refund for rest only if done in next 20mins. We had no time to zero down on another booking & wasted time on airbnb where most of the hosts only respond hours later and parallely wife was hunting hotels on MMT. We did found few good 3-4 star hotels nearby so just 4 mins remaining for cancellation and I cancelled the booking, and without informing anyone, left this piece of scammed scandalous junkyard!

If this is what is hosted by a so called SUPERHOST we have no words beyond..

Partial Airbnb property Pictures posted by host (from the hosts angle):

View attachment 134517 View attachment 134518 View attachment 134519View attachment 134520 View attachment 134522 View attachment 134521

Then Hotel booking Exp: A great sigh of relief in the end..

Anyways, we kept walking until we reached proper roads from the slum shit. And began to book however, when we ringed in few hotels we were shocked by another thing...the hotel receptionist person was asking if our residency proof was Mumbai registered or another place, if Mumbai registered then they wont accept such bookings for localites no matter even if one books from mmt/goibibo etc. We were like wtf rule is this?
We had all the evidences if required why we are staying outside been a localite etc. and the official purpose of visit but 3-4 hotels turned down our offer.
Finally after 2 hours wasting time hungry and thirsty standing on summary road we decided to try our luck at a 3 star hotel in Khar hotel without calling, and finally a great relief! We got a great package there with no issues with our residency proof at all. But just for 3 days it was costing us a whooping 12.4k so we obliviously has to narrow down our stay compromising on one day but no regrets!
The entire stay was very pleasant, awesome rooms, great service, superb location and tasty food!

Khar hotel pics (no comparison at all with that Airbnb shitty junkyard:

View attachment 134529View attachment 134528View attachment 134527

About Airbnb booked property (in-short):
  • As can be seen earlier, The SUPERHOSTt has only posted partial good looking pics on the listing to woo customers however, again as per our posted pics, when we reached the place, it was nothing short of a junkyard in a slum zone or call it some one night stand scandalous banging place . Very unsafe and obviously not at all suitable for decent people/family/couple or even a lone innocent/descent person!
  • For a good 45 mins we were roaming around only to find this piece of junkyard or should we say a filthy place.
  • If host mentioned this junkyard as villa then a real villa for him will be some heavenly moon place.

We surely felt robbed off the trust and assurance esp. going on the reviews. Now I even doubt the reviews posted on airbnb,

Right now If you try to access the direct property link its no more accessible nor the room will appear in searches.

As for the stay, Extremely unpleasant, horrifying, terrible and pathetic cum insecure experience.

Escalation/Refund:

After we were back, I thought about giving a shot to Airbnb support by escalating our horrifying exp. First it was processed via chat followed by a call from some UK based no. And guess what I got a complete 100% refund!

The original property page https://www.airbnb.co.in/rooms/52248471 isn't accessible or seems de-listed from airbnb after our complaint, escalation with all proofs, images and facts. The owner/host named Rohan still has few more properties listed on his name or on someone else in nearby radius of 5-6 kms so beware..

View attachment 134524
View attachment 134523 This error while viewing the original listing.

However, I found that the exact same property is listed in others persons name/host. This is truly an open scam!

TIP: If you ever book any property, ask the host first to post an entire video inside of the property as well as the outside location to get a good glimpse before plunging..
Thanks for sharing a detailed review. I always wondered about the stay experience in airbnb. Never tried it though.

This is really a pathetic experience. This is really bad and I only hope Airbnb gets rid of this scam.
I have been a long time Airbnb user (20 stays) and have been pretty fortunate enough to have all positive experiences so far. We have travelled all over India including Mumbai and now it is actually our first port of call for our trips. We tend to avoid the cheap backpacker hotels and prefer the superhosts with good number of reviews. One experience like this can actually make you lose your faith.
Their customer service is quite good though so you should have actually asked for compensating beyond just the refund. They actually gave me a 80 dollar voucher once due to a booking payment issue which was not even their fault.
Unfortunately the host was a superhost here but our first exp. itself was so great now I really doubt we will ever opt for Airbnb. Esp. my wife who would prefer a 4-5 star hotels paying double rather than falling for anything cheaper platforms.
I'm not saying everyone should avoid airbnb but this incident is definitely an eye-opener. A trains AC-3 tier coach is way superior and posh than this.
Also, I was OK with the regular refund minus the deducted charges but I got a feeling and escalated as I do not want other travelers to fall for this and luckily I'm happy I got the entire refund. No greed stuck my mind on the lines of harassment compensation etc. What received was an instant justice and complete refund is what we are happy about.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the host was a superhost here
You mentioned he still has listings. Can you link any of those ?
No greed stuck my mind on the lines of harassment compensation etc.
I was not asking you to be greedy but seeking compensation for wastage of time, effort and your hard earned money. They are liable for damages beyond just the refund. Given that the listing has simply moved to another dummy owner, you should actually lodge a complaint with the consumer grievance cell.
Anyways these were just my suggestions and I would have actually done all of these, if in your place.

Last edited:
Experiences like these are why I don't believe Airbnb or Oyo.
Why Oyo ? the local ones i've seen look fine for those on a budget.
Given that the listing has simply moved to another dummy owner,
Bet that is what will happen and in a few weeks, it will reappear again with different photo angles.
you should actually lodge a complaint with the consumer grievance cell.
Yeah since his intent is to warn others and put a stop to this nonsense.

Stick to OYO if looking for budget travel in Mumbai. There are decent options within 1500 to 2k a day which is far better than this.
I have never stayed in an AirBnb becuase of such stories.

Lot of hostels thesedays have private rooms also. can always opt for a zostel

I remember using OYO back in 2016 when it was good and you would get good hotels but now it seems that with OYO and Airbnb, the quality has gone down and I have started to avoid them.

5500 in bombay, you cant expect anything but a slum.
even the carlson group of hotels are very very low standard compared to rest of the planet.
Not necessarily. The Airbnb link I posted for Mumbai is 1800 per night. Recently we stayed in a nice cozy houseboat in Srinagar which was 900 per night. Meals were separate.
These are no frills self service establishments but clean with all the facilities that you would need. But yes, if are looking for 5 star service then you are better off in 5 star hotels.

Last edited:
When I moved to Mumbai, I needed some time to find a flat (2 weeks at least). I stayed in a hotel for 10 days. But it was getting expensive, so I moved to an Airbnb. The place was good, it was a in a multi-storey building. A couple were living there in a 2 BHK and had rented out one of the bedrooms. There was no issues with the room itself, and it was a safe place. However, the hosts were just clueless and rude. In their listing they had written private bathroom, but I had to use the common bathroom. They had written access to kitchen and washing machine. I didn't want to use the kitchen anyway, but when I asked about the washing machine, the lady said I can't use it. I told her their listing says it is available and I had also confirmed over the phone with her husband. Then she let me use it, but asked me to get my own detergent (which would have cost like Rs. 5 max). Finally I needed to extend my stay by a day because my broker couldn't deliver the flat on the promised date. I informed the man 3 days in advance, he said ok. But he was a lazy bum and didn't do anything about it. They got another booking on the same day and when the lady saw I was still there, she yelled at me for 5 minutes despite me telling her that I had already informed her husband well in advance and confirmed that there was no booking.

All in all, it was a very poor experience and I decided I was never going to use Airbnb in India again.

I have booked Oyo quite a few, mostly it has been decent hotels. I have run into issues once or twice where the hotel simply refused to accept the booking saying they didn't have a tie up with Oyo. Oyo refused to do anything about it except refund my money, which doesn't compensate me for the harassment I had to face nor for the higher charges I had to bear due to the last minute booking in another hotel.

In general, service quality is quite poor in India and one should keep their expectations very low.

Not necessarily. The Airbnb link I posted for Mumbai is 1800 per night. Recently we stayed in a nice cozy houseboat in Srinagar which was 900 per night. Meals were separate.
These are no frills self service establishments but clean with all the facilities that you would need. But yes, if are looking for 5 star service then you are better off in 5 star hotels.
The pace in discussion is Mumbai - please stop skewing this topic.
I remember using OYO back in 2016 when it was good and you would get good hotels but now it seems that with OYO and Airbnb, the quality has gone down and I have started to avoid them.
in my experience its much has to do with location and not oyo/airbnb - i don't have any exp with these but was under impression airbnb was better,

oyo - its more like a night stay in a hygienic place, nothing more. In my one instance of using oyo Chandigarh - it was above my expectation for a night halt.

Back