My 3 Thermalrights

Eazy

Skilled
Just finished installing the Thermalright North Bridge cooler.... I have a Blue LED Vantec 120mm 1800RPM 62CFM fan attached to the Ultra 120 blowing air down to the 8800 Heat sink which I have kept fanless - though it does not show in the picture there is about one inch space between the CPU FAN and GFX cards heat sink. I had an old Thermaltake 60mm fan lying around which I have strapped to the Northbridge cooler.

The 8800 GTS with the Thermalright HR-03-PLUS heat sink used to run with a Vantec 92mm fan at 49C ... so the 52C I get now with it fanless is not bad.... that is if I can call it fanless with the 120mm CPU fan towering over it :)

thermalrightsx3mobomonuv8.jpg

thermalrights3cuh8.jpg

Eazy what are yellow mark on heat pipes is due to heat

gfx hot air suck fan and it pass u120

Plan 1 - Ok it now tell me who is with me raid prime will break get our hand and run.

Plan 2 - Wait for Thermalright Ultra-120 EXTREME

Plan 2 look gr8 heeee

Saiyan said:
Whats the load temp of the gfx card w/o the fan?

Not run anything yet to check load temps... will do soon and post here...

@gaganjain ... yup the CPU heat sink and the GFX cards heat sink are keeping each other nice and warm :( Cannot be avoided and as long as temps are reasonable I am not going to worry - 37C for AMD Opti 175 @ Stock and 52C for 8800GTS GFX card are pretty decent - RIGHT ?

This setup is the best compromise I have come up with till now - tried fan on top of CPU cooler and another one attached to the GFX heat sink and the noise of the 2 fans was terrible - on their own each fan was pretty silent but together they made a lot of noise :( I will try get a relatively silent 92mm fan to attach to GFX card then maybe temps will be a bit better.

add the panaflo fan on top

turn the 120mm LED fan to take air from hr03 through the Ultra-120 then towards the PSU via the panaflo fan on top

thermalrights3cuh8.jpg

Saiyan said:
Whats the load temp of the gfx card w/o the fan?

First let me answer this question .... I ran Rivatuner and had it open in background whilst running 3dMark06 ..... the starting temp was 53C and the max it touched during 3dmark06 was 60C .. with the stock cooler I would estimate with todays high room temps I would idle at 63C and the peak temp during 3dmark06 would be around 73C. Not bad getting a "load" fanless temp below an idle stock cooler temp :)

tempreadingduring3dmarkps7.jpg

@stormblast ... is there any other brand of heatsinks in the market which has such a range of coolers ? I have used Thermalrights from the time of their first "killer" heat sink the SK6 which I still have with me. I must say that their quality control is down from their earlier heat sinks which were very well made.

@zhopudey/deepak ... either way the air from one heat sink to the other is adding to their temperature - but I feel it is quite good even now, I will think of ways to improve this setup.

@low_bass_makker .. Mother Board Monitor .... now defunct. No support for latest boards :(

@Udit ... tried that already the air sent to the PSU was too hot - the PSU's case felt very hot to touch ... and the temps of the GFX card is too high to pick up air from it and send it to the Ultra 120 - it will affect the CPU temps.

I would say turn the HSF on the GFX upside down, it can be used like that normally. So i guess u will see some good temps then..

Anyways, u have a lot of Heatpipes in there, lol nice setup :D.

ANP !!! said:
I would say turn the HSF on the GFX upside down, it can be used like that normally. So i guess u will see some good temps then..

I did have the HSF oriented like you mention and everybody and their cat from TE said "HEY TURN THE HEAT SINK AROUND" ... and now you say...... :D

YES the temps were down with the HSF mounted the other way - GFX card temps used to be about 5 - 6 C lower ... BUT ... there was no way to mount the Northbrige cooler when the GFX cards HSF was mounted that way. I placed a temp probe in the Thermalright Northbridge cooler and got a reading of 45C and this is from the tower of the cooler not from the chip !! :O Now I have attached a 80mm fan to this cooler and the temps are down to 35C.

@Eazy, how about the same config as Udit suggested but with air from above blowing down to the ultra120 and then the fanless 8800 recieving air from the 120mm CPU fan

deepak said:
@Eazy, how about the same config as Udit suggested but with air from above blowing down to the ultra120 and then the fanless 8800 recieving air from the 120mm CPU fan

That was the first way I did it .... I placed my Panaflo fan at its full speed of 2100 RPM but the GFX card temp went sky high .... the air flow was not strong enough coming out of the fins of the Ultra 120 from the other end of this HS.

I did a search for a fan between 2 heat sinks and came across this unusual heatsink :O ... good for people who cannot decide to push or pull the air with their HSF :D

Back