Laptops My Asus ROG Strix G15 is cooked

khamosh

Patron
Need help assessing the problem with the cooling of my laptop.
CPU: i7 10750H
GPU: 1650ti

CPU is constantly reaching temperatures of 80-85 under normal loads.
I discovered this after using MSI Afterburner when installed Windows 11.
I had been using Ubuntu prior to windows installation for 2-3 months

I noticed there were burn marks on the CPU and GPU that looked like glue or thermal paste. Looks like some kind of spillage.
When I touched it with my nails, it felt like a paste that was hard but not too hard

My laptop is 3.5 years old with minimal usage and the model is ROG strix G15 [G512LI]

I haven't taken it to a service center yet because I primarily use a PC.

What will it cost to repair this thing? Any DIY alternatives?

PS: these pictures were taken at the start of this month, forgot to ask here

Attachments

• 20240801_174848.jpg
    20240801_174848.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 20240801_174853.jpg
    20240801_174853.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 20240801_174907.jpg
    20240801_174907.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20240801_175002.jpg
    20240801_175002.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
yeah thats thermal paste, I dont really see any burn marks and since you are DIY savvy enough to open your laptop, you can just clean the die and the surrounding area with a cloth and apply new paste to it, not sure if the 10th gen versions of Strix used Liquid Metal, if thats indeed LM, then the situation is way worse and my recommendation would be to get it cleaned asap without turning on your computer (LM can fry your motherboard pretty easily), you can look up videos online on how peeps deal with LM spillages

P.S. clean your fans and the vents too

Edit: CPU revolves around 70-90 when idle [doing nothing] and when doing normal to slight usage it constantly hits at 90-95

yeah thats thermal paste, I dont really see any burn marks and since you are DIY savvy enough to open your laptop, you can just clean the die
Actually that isn't thermal compound or liquid metal, maybe it's the pictures I shared that gave you this idea, but that would only be visible after I pull out those 8 screws [four from the GPU and four from the CPU in last picture] and the whole copper thing out.

not sure if the 10th gen versions of Strix used Liquid Metal
Yes, it has liquid metal and I've already bought Thermal Grizzly and imported thermal putty to apply to the VRM, but that would only be used when the copper casing is pulled out.
I am not sure any laptop manufacturer use liquid metal thermal compound in their laptops except maybe some very niche model.
@OMEGA44-XT
This one uses liquid metal

Last edited:
I am not sure any laptop manufacturer use liquid metal thermal compound in their laptops except maybe some very niche model.
@OMEGA44-XT
ASUS and guess what Asus does if that happens to spill over to your motherboard and happens to fry it? ; )
Yes, it has liquid metal and I've already bought Thermal Grizzly and imported thermal putty to apply to the VRM, but that would only be used when the copper casing is pulled out.
oof, that makes it complicated, I would say to take it to a service center specially if you live in a tier 1/2 city (those guys have experience repairing the mroe expensive laptops), if LM is not handled properly, it will fry your motherboard

Whatever that is, its between the heatsink and the pipes. Its got nothing to with with thermal paste ot liquid metal. That would be below the heatsink. I would think your issue is more to do with cleaning the air channels. That looks like solder between the heatsink and tube.

Whatever that is, its between the heatsink and the pipes. Its got nothing to with with thermal paste ot liquid metal. That would be below the heatsink. I would think your issue is more to do with cleaning the air channels. That looks like solder between the heatsink and tube.
Yes, you got the point. But don't think cleaning the air channel would do it.

The link between the pipes and the heatsink is compromised and the glue/solder is burnt and spread.
Also, it doesn't feel like metal solder at all but more like high-temperature glue.

I live in a tier-two city and the guy at the service center doesn't seem to be very knowledgeable. I'm yet to visit them again.

I don't think they will just repaste it but rather ask me to replace the whole copper housing

PS: I visited them to replace my screen when a dead pixel was visible before the warranty expired 2.5 years ago

Remember whatever temperature you are measuring includes the ambient temp. So CPU temp = (junction temp + ambient temp).

I suspect the fan profile of the CPU is set to low when idling, causing higher temps at low loads, and as soon as you put load, fans goes high and temps go 95 (which is expected). It's just the no load temps that is your problem.

Don't forget the heatsink is also connected to the GPU. One heat source coupling into the another could also be one of the reason.

Try running a cooling pad under the laptop.

Last edited:
Remember whatever temperature you are measuring includes the ambient temp. So CPU temp = (junction temp + ambient temp).

I suspect the fan profile of the CPU is set to low when idling, causing higher temps at low loads,
it's supposed to be at low though, nigh in both my 5i/7i and dell, you could barely hear the fans at idle (also includes normal stuff like vlc, browsing, word etc) unless you directly put your ear right upto the vent in a silent room

and temps ranged anywhere from 35-50c

Try running a cooling pad under the laptop.
Already using from the start

The link between the pipes and the heatsink is compromised and the glue/solder is burnt and spread.
Also, it doesn't feel like metal solder at all but more like high-temperature glue.

I suspect the fan profile of the CPU is set to low when idling,
I've been using a fan profile with windows, this happened after i installed Ubuntu and used for 2-3 months before, I've heard that ubuntu runs hot.
The copper casing on the top of the square heatsink seems to be deformed from the the pipes as the glue between them seems to be messed up

Back