My Diwali Shopping

YoGi-Sama

Skilled
Over a year and half of disappointment over Intel’s Netburst crap called Pentium D, I finally decided to upgrade my system. While deciding between MacBook Pro and Desktop I settled down for desktop. Reason was simple; with Intel’s fierce price cuts Quad-Core processor was well within budget… making it a very lucrative option. I mean, it was possible to get double the power at little more than half the cost of MacBook Pro. So following was the shopping list for this Diwali season.
  • Intel Core2Quad processor, Q6600 (2.4 GHz, 8mb L2 cache, G0 stepping)
  • Asus P5KC motherboard with DDR2/DDR3 memory support

(good option to upgrade to DDR3 memory when DDR3 memory gets cheaper)

• Corsair XMS2 CL5 DDR2-800 MHz ram, 2GB kit (2 x 1gb)
  • Western Digital Caviar SE16 320 GB drive, SATA2
  • CoolerMaster Extreme Power 600W PSU
  • Lite-On DVD writer, 20x, SATA
  • Thermalright Ultima-90 Heatsink + Scythe S-Flex 120MM fan
  • GeForce 8800GTS 320mb graphic card
  • CoolerMaster Stacker 810 / CM 690 PC cabinet
  • Dell 22″ LCD Panel, E228WFP
Not everything on the shopping list made it though. Like, Dell 22″ panel and GeForce 8800GTS cards. Dell was going just a little bit over the budget (when added with taxes) and waiting time of a month for shipping was killing me, so I settled with ViewSonic VX2255wmb panel instead. It might not be as good as Dell’s panel but it is a pretty decent, once calibrated properly and as an extra has a decent 1.3 MB webcam built-in. As for 8800GTS… well, the power draw of the card and cost was going against it. Next solution to it was too disappointing (8600 cards). Besides, with news running around about both AMD/ATi and nVidia’s new mid-range solutions I decided to play waiting game for graphic card. Till then my lovely 6600GT would accompany me few more weeks. Similarly CM stacker was going way over budget so I had to settle down with CM690. Not that I’m not happy with it, but Stacker surely had my heart going for it.

Now… pictures talk better than words….

2043431443_2d89a03653.jpg

Q6600, Asus P5KC, Corsair XMS2 800, CM Extreme Power 600w, LiteOn DVD and MX2 Tim… with CM690 to house them all.

And here’s lovely CM690…

2043431695_f610b8eafc.jpg
2044228132_764daf5e84.jpg

Location of front connection ports are the only gripe I have with this cabby as I place it on desk and I’ve to get my ass up to use them.

Another thing I think should be mentioned about this cabinet is that even though it’s by well known brand like CoolerMaster, there are some places where this cabinet shows it’s “value†segment faces. But even then this cabinet has much better construction quality than most of the local brands I’ve seen and I can safely say that this by far the best cabinet I’ve ever used. Not only that, the features that it offers for the price it asks for are amazing.

Let’s see some more pics on internals. Sorry, I was so excited to put together the system that I didn’t picture the empty cabinet or components separately.

2043432301_b7edc69384.jpg
2043432779_09e95dd4bc.jpg

Don’t shoot me for cable management though. I did very basic job managing the wires because when I get Ultime-90, I will have to take out everything again. After that I will put more time in hiding wires. Right it’s pretty good and there is lot of open space for unobstructed airflow.

This cabinet gives a lot of option for managing your cables and then it’s all depends on how creative you can get with given options. So stuff like what I did above, it was damn easy with built in cuts on motherboard tray and holder clips. Even the hard drive cables were easy to manage as they go from back.

Now the display… As I stated earlier I went for ViewSonic VX2255wmb. It’s nothing extraordinary, just a regular cheap TN panel display. But TN panels have come long way and even though they won’t surpass PVA panels; they do pretty good job and at nice price point. This particular panel has tad better specs over VX2235/45 panel… and even though VX2245 had lot of other extra features (iPod dock, card reader and USB ports), I decided to go for little better panel specs over extra goodies. VX2255wmb, I must say… is a rather good looking display with piano black finish and silver trim at bottom.

2043433977_cdf3ff101e.jpg

The big power button is in the center with nice bright blue LED (which turns to orange when no input is detected) while control buttons are located on right side at bottom. Not my favorite place, but they aren’t that bad as I thought they would be. I just wish that the legend for those buttons were backlit or at least bit more visible, as it gets lost easily on glossy back finish and most of the time you have to access the buttons by guessing by their position.

Another thing is that this glossy back finish seems to attract dust very easily or at least shows up very easily. Either way, it makes the panel look ugly if you don’t wipe it at least twice a day. I don’t like ACs so my room isn’t closed always and being on ground floor, dust is second resident of my house.

It also has nice wire management feature on backside of stand. Nothing extraordinary but nice thing to have as this panel has decent amount of ports on back if you decide to use most of them.

2043434371_22c5228656.jpg

Notice the dust and smudges… damn the glossy finish.

As you can see, regular stuff for ports on LCD monitor. Power, audio pass-through for built in mic and speakers, DVI, VGA and one upstream USB for built-in webcam. Oh… it also has headphone jack below the right side control buttons which I personally find a nice location for plug in headphones. If you’re wondering why both DVI and VGA ports are connected… well my main system is on DVI and I’ve connected my iBook on VGA. So when I want to work on iPhoto or iMovie I can switch to my iBook on VGA. Nice feature to have, indeed.

This is how my setup looks right now. It sure feels good… compared to my old setup.

2044229758_f61091e2e8.jpg
2043433169_78f7777dac.jpg

Lot of empty space to place food and beer glass.. err.. coffee mug while working. The cabinet in bottom is my old proxy server, used with remote desktop in case you’re wondering. I’ll be settings up new server with smaller cabinet and hidden somewhere else. :D

Also what you seen on the screen of my old dual-monitors, is a after-effects rendering a short clip. I ran a sort of benchmark on my old system, AfterEffects, 3D Studio Max and Photoshop Filter… and I intend to run the same things on my new system so that I know how much “Real-World†gain I’m getting from my new investment. Sure I can run PCmark but I want to see the real-world application over synthetic benchmarks. I’ll be adding those numbers too soon in this post.

Now let me show off a little bit… not me, but my system. :D

2044230694_4ba8ec2a23.jpg
2044231122_24f3e7aae6.jpg

Placing light at bottom wasn’t doing much… so I moved it on top and result was much better.

2044231960_3fa4de3f8c.jpg

And finally, my finished setup.

2043436249_7247b74864.jpg

Total damage was 55k... 40k for components and 15k for LCD.

All is not done yet though… some things are still remaining.

Graphic card, for which my first preference is AMD/ATi’s radeon HD 3870 or 3850. I’ve been using nVidia cards since MX440 and would like to go for ATi this time. Reason being R6xx’s better performance in 3D applications over nVidia’s offerings. Although nVidia is currently leading the performance race in gaming, I am willing to sacrifice little gaming performance over better productivity aid. I mean who wouldn’t like workstation class performance at desktop class price? Now just waiting for proper availability of HD 38xx cards in local market at decent cost.

Ultima-90… too bad it isn’t available readily right now and ultra-90 doesn’t offer performance like that. Ultra-120 is the best… but it’s also heavy and big.

Some more bling-bling, yes… some decent performing LED fans. Looking out for something which doesn’t burn hole in my pocket while still offering decent airflow at acceptable noise. Let’s see how that goes. Also some nice front panel fan controller with display. Had seen a Zalman made one, looks pretty decent unlike some of the controllers that look like they arrived from some other planet or from some b-grade Hollywood sci-fi movie.

Macbook Pro was replaced by this new system but that doesn’t mean its out. Maybe next year I’ll be to get my hands on it. This is one desire that I’ll be surely going after.

Individual Costings as follows

Intel Core2Quad Q6600 (2.4 GHz, 8mb L2 cache, G0 stepping) : 11500

Asus P5KC motherboard with DDR2/DDR3 : 9500

Corsair XMS2 CL5 DDR2-800 MHz ram 2GB kit (2 x 1gb) : 4680

Western Digital Caviar SE16 320 GB drive, SATA2 : 3750

CoolerMaster Extreme Power 600W PSU : 3800

Lite-On DVD writer, 20x, SATA : 1750

Scythe S-Flex 120MM fan : 800

CoolerMaster CM690 PC cabinet : 4250

MX2 Thermal Compound : 400

ViewSonic VX2255wmb LCD Panel : 15600

I might have mistaken in couple of places by 100-200 rs. plus-minus... I will have to dig in the bills for exact costs, but these are almost accurate as far as remember.

When I get Ultima-90 and I dismantle the system, I'll post detailed review on Cabinet. I'll try to write a review on motherboard but that would be hardware part only. I won't be running detailed benchies on mobo or overclocking stuff as I'm not going extreme OC the system. A little bit of it maybe.

Also I plan to write more on this monitor as I'm experiencing and noticing more about it. Some nice points and some issues. Nothing major though but worth knowing for future buyers. One thing I can say that this panel is definitely little bit better over VX2235/45.

iGo said:
Individual Costings as follows

Intel Core2Quad Q6600 (2.4 GHz, 8mb L2 cache, G0 stepping) : 11500
Asus P5KC motherboard with DDR2/DDR3 : 9500
Corsair XMS2 CL5 DDR2-800 MHz ram 2GB kit (2 x 1gb) : 4680
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320 GB drive, SATA2 : 3750
CoolerMaster Extreme Power 600W PSU : 3800
Lite-On DVD writer, 20x, SATA : 1750
Scythe S-Flex 120MM fan : 800
CoolerMaster CM690 PC cabinet : 4250
MX2 Thermal Compound : 400
ViewSonic VX2255wmb LCD Panel : 15600

I might have mistaken in couple of places by 100-200 rs. plus-minus... I will have to dig in the bills for exact costs, but these are almost accurate as far as remember.

When I get Ultima-90 and I dismantle the system, I'll post detailed review on Cabinet. I'll try to write a review on motherboard but that would be hardware part only. I won't be running detailed benchies on mobo or overclocking stuff as I'm not going extreme OC the system. A little bit of it maybe.

Also I plan to write more on this monitor as I'm experiencing and noticing more about it. Some nice points and some issues. Nothing major though but worth knowing for future buyers. One thing I can say that this panel is definitely little bit better over VX2235/45.

thx
10 chars

^^ Sort of... only the cable which is connected near PCI slots, running near CPU is for CM690's e-Sata port. Rest cables, in their usual place are for hard drives. WD + my two old drives.

Back