My experience with RGB softwares and their impact on CPU temps

Slayer88

Adept
So, I recently upgraded my CPU cooler from a 120mm AIO(5 years old) to a 240mm NZXT Kraken x53. (On my R7 5800x)

I was always happy with my idle temps (I know that's not something to go by) being 38-40ish in a non AC Mumbai room on my 120 AIO. With the new AIO swap I also added new Lian Li fans.

While adding my new AIO my thermal paste ran short so I had a very very thin coat.

Post setup of the new AIO, my temps were ranging between 42-46 on average. I always knew these ate into memory, but having 32gb I wasn't concerned too much about that. But the 6-7c increase in temps in an already warm flat was a bit annoying, especially after having 2x more radiator area!

My initial thought was, is it the less thermal paste?. So I ordered some more, but just before I reapplied it, I thought to myself, what else has changed? Then I recalled, the NZXT and Lian Li RGB software! I ended the processes and was back to 37-38C!

Just thought I'd share this for PSA.

Cheers, all!

Buddy, my point is not that the CPU is running hot, it's how RGB softwares are causing a 6-9c increase in idle temps.
Its the rgb tools processes creating multiple threads in background... look into your task manager!
Heard Asus sucks big time in that as its rgb tool is a resource hogger.

Its the rgb tools processes creating multiple threads in background... look into your task manager!
Heard Asus sucks big time in that as its rgb tool is a resource hogger.
Problem is, killing the process or not having it load at startup results in an RGB disaster.. need to try Signal or Open RGB but the Unifans are not gonna look too great without the native app

Back