My first BIG HDD and enthusiast hardware!!

Hey,
Got stuff from Amarbir in the courier to day.

WD 640
Corsair 650TX
Altec Lansing BXR 1121 ( Hey I know its only 2.1, but I don't have much space or money to spare for a 4.1 /5.1 )
A set of headphones ( nothing fancy )

Yet to come:
CM-690
Samsung SH-223 F or U or something ..

Actually its been over a month since I ordered them. Got delayed due to different reasons. The cabby is being sent by surface, so it should arrive some time this week. The DVD writer was out of stock and should probably be sent out sometime this week.

My old 200GB HDD was getting DAMN slow due to fragmentation, and excessive heating. It will probably be delegated as the torrent hard disk . Due to real bad air circulation in this crap cabby, even WD640 is getting a BIT warm. But no worries, as I will be shifting as soon as I get the CM690. There wasn't a SATA cable with the HDD, so I am stuck with using only one HDD at a time.

So I booted Ubuntu 8.10 LiveCD and partitioned the HDD using GPartEd. Then came back and made a fresh Vista install. Its so fast!! now I will probably do the Ubuntu install as well as the XP install.

To avoid the mistake I made last time, I want to make sure this disk doesn't get much fragmented. Any advice on that? How much time do you reckon it would take for a full defragment on .. say a 400GB partition?

Attachments

• DSC02429.jpg
    DSC02429.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC02430.jpg
    DSC02430.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC02431.jpg
    DSC02431.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 118
  • free_space_scrshot2.jpg
    free_space_scrshot2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 114
Defrag time actually depends upon ur processor n RAM...

jst put it on defrag wen u going away for arnd 6-7hrs... its shud done til then i guess.

It actually much more depends on the level of defrag, the amount of files present and HDD transfer speed. 2nd requirements are of ram and processor.

Congrats.. Regarding the defragmentation, use a tool like diskeeper - it keeps defragmenting in the background. And I believe you are using NTFS partitions. :)

Back