Budget 0-20k My first build of HTPC

Allanwoods

Disciple
Q: What is your budget?
<10K

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
CPU - Pentium P4 Core 2 duo
Motherboard - Intel 945
GPU - Geforce 9600gt
RAM - Transcend DDR2-1333/PC3-10600
Monitor - Acer 17"
SMPS - Zebronics
Cabinet - Zebronics Mid Tower

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Monitor - Sony Bravia 32" LED TV (Full HD)

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then
please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU - AMD Brazos Zacate E-350
Motherboard - MSI E350IA-E45
GPU - ATI 6310 (integrated)
RAM - Transcend DDR3-1333/PC3-10600 4 GB
SSD - Kingston SSDNow V100 64 GB
Cabinet - Good looking Mini - ITX (CM Elite 120, Bitfiniex Prodigy, iball baby) with PSU

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then
please mention when and which component
Yes, Will add these... in couse of time
Keyboard and Mouse - Wireless keyboard and mouse
WIFI receiver
IR Remote - Universal remote

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Chennai
Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
Yes

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
HTPC
Download rig, 24x7 operation
Watching HD movies
Gaming

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Dont have much exposure on these brands, but dont want any trouble

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
MW3
Need for speed Hot Pursuit
Team Fortress 2

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Gaming - 1900x1080

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Yes

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 8 Pro
XBMC

Hi All,

This is my first post in TE. If I missed to follow any rule, Mods please forgive me :)

I am planning to build a HTPC (dropped the idea of buying sony bluray home theater, after learning about HTPC). Please go thorugh the list and I want your input on the following:
1. Where can i get this mobo in chennai: MSI E350IA-E45? If anyone has it here in TE, i am interested (again i am in a tight budget :unsure:) - If i can buy it online, please give me some links
2. Suggest me some good cabinet (which shouldnt exceed 13" in depth) as i am going to place this in my living room.
3. I have a Buffalo Ministation 1TB external hard disk which i am planning to use. Is it possible?
4. If you have any alternate suggestions, I am open to them.

Thanks in advance to you all.:)

I am planning to build a HTPC (dropped the idea of buying sony bluray home theater, after learning about HTPC). Please go thorugh the list and I want your input on the following:
1. Where can i get this mobo in chennai: MSI E350IA-E45? If anyone has it here in TE, i am interested (again i am in a tight budget :unsure:) - If i can buy it online, please give me some links
2. Suggest me some good cabinet (which shouldnt exceed 13" in depth) as i am going to place this in my living room.
3. I have a Buffalo Ministation 1TB external hard disk which i am planning to use. Is it possible?
4. If you have any alternate suggestions, I am open to them.

Thanks in advance to you all.:)

Hi Alan, welcome to TechEnclave and no you have posted everything fine. Wish you a pleasant stay here.

Now your answers --
  • Sadly your budget it too tight for a HTPC solution which can also drive all the games at the requisite resolution that you have demanded. Also the AMD E-350 based solution too anaemic for the intended usage patterns.
  • Again your budget is a gigantic limiter.
  • Should be possible to use it is as a data-dump.
  • Save up money and try to go for a Trinity / Richland based RIG later this year.
Sorry for being so uncouth and direct but I will not lie to you about what can be done with the budget at hand.

With your budget if you drop the gaming and D/L operations you can go for a WDTV Live which can play a plethora of video files over HDMI.

Western Digital WD TV Live Streaming Media Player Wi-Fi 1080p - AVI Xvid MKV MOV | eBay

Around 8K but will be around 120$ if bought from US.

Another alternative to the configuration albeit very anemic would be the Gigabyte Mobo

Gigabyte E350N Motherboard - Gigabyte: Flipkart.com

Couple this with a cheap 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM which will be around 1400 bucks

Corsair 4 GB DDR3 RAM 1333 Mhz For Desktop With Bill & 10 Years Warranty | eBay

IF possible try to source this cabby locally. I have the same one which I bought in Kolkata for 1200 bucks

iBall Net Top 009 150 W Cabinet - price in India : Rediff Shopping

So even without a HDD your total will come out to be 7300.Extend your budget a bit and get a 1 TB internal( around 4600) and add a wireless KB later on

Logitech 2.4 GHz Wireless Touch Keyboard with Touchpad Unifying Receiver K400 | eBay

Forget gaming at Full HD with this rig.For movies and D/L this rig is okay

Hi Alan, welcome to TechEnclave and no you have posted everything fine. Wish you a pleasant stay here.

Now your answers --
  • Sadly your budget it too tight for a HTPC solution which can also drive all the games at the requisite resolution that you have demanded. Also the AMD E-350 based solution too anaemic for the intended usage patterns.
  • Again your budget is a gigantic limiter.
  • Should be possible to use it is as a data-dump.
  • Save up money and try to go for a Trinity / Richland based RIG later this year.
Sorry for being so uncouth and direct but I will not lie to you about what can be done with the budget at hand.

Thanks for your reply Alpha17. If i can extend my budget to 14-15K, is it still possible?

I am looking for this MSI e-350 board... could any one help me where to buy it in chennai (or online)? I am also interested to buy used one from TE!

Hi Marcus!

Thanks for your suggestion... I need USB 3.0 in my board... the Gigabyte board lacks it... I had a plan of buying sony home theater (BDV-E290) but dropped that idea due to its limitations (no gaming :( ).

As i mentioned in my opening post, I do have a desktop where i can do all my gaming and desktop processing... My core need is watching HD movies on XBMC, download and lite gaming.

I believe brazos board is capable of handling it... (I read positive review about it on anandtech). Again why i am looking for AMD zacate is
a. its small footprint (Mini-ITX),
b. low power consumption
c. USB 3
d. capable integrated GPU

As suggested by Alpha17, i might need to wait and save a little before getting a HTPC.

Back