My laptop replacement - Nexus 10

rdst_1

Skilled
So after trying to get the iPad 4 working for me, I finally got my hands on the Nexus 10 and thankfully, everything is perfect. Though I am still not able to stream 1080p videos but it seems that it is due to a network issue as even my laptop breaks sweat in high intensity action scenes when streaming 1080p stuff.

For everything else, the N10 is the perfect laptop replacement for me. I am even using it as a torrent downloader as I got the 32GB version.

uploadfromtaptalk1360085193580.jpg

Since most people treat the word tablet to be synonymous with the iPad the longish form factor of the Nexus 10 might seem awkward, but it is still easily usable and everything is within reach. I found typing on the Nexus 10 to be better than that on the iPad, but that can be just me.

uploadfromtaptalk1360085370043.jpg

Yes the tablet is plasticky but the back has amazing grip and it feels more secure in the hand than the iPad 4. Also the weight is perfect. the latest iteration of the iPad, the iPad 4 feels a lot heavier when compared.
Also in the cold weather of North India, I welcome the warm rubbery back more than the ice-cold metal back of the iPad.

uploadfromtaptalk1360085529454.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1360085553359.jpg

As you can see the Nexus 10 is very slim.

uploadfromtaptalk1360085834950.jpg

Took this picture at full brightness with all lights off in the room.

The screen is gorgeous and a delight to watch videos on. For reading books I would still prefer the iPad, but for everything else, the Nexus 10 wins hands down for me, most especially because of real multitasking of Android as with such a device you do end up doing quite a few things at the same time.

I haven't had to switch on my laptop for the past 4 days and I only need it now to copy data to and from the Nexus 10. I am gonna buy a router with a USB port and just attach my 3TB external powered HDD to it and we will be good to go without the laptop.

The only gripe I have is slow charging time and lack of accessories. It takes 8hrs for the tab to get fully charged from 5%. The Logitech Keyboard that I bought for the iPad is working perfectly in tandem with the N10 but there are no special 'only built for N10' accessories out yet. Waiting for the official Pogo Pins charger and a Keyboard Case and this would be just perfect.

Yeah. the recharge times are a bit too much, however, that will soon be remedied, according to Google.

Anyways, best of luck with your purchase. Try to get a ASUS n66 as that is a superb piece of hardware.

Why do you say ipad is better for reading?
Is it because of apps or anything else?

And thanks for accepting my request to show off ;)

The apps is one of the reasons I guess. I tried Moon+ reader and it wasn't able to display the book properly in the landscape mode, so had to read in the portrait mode. The book in question had been converted from a PDF to an ePub using Calibre so that might have been the reason. Let me check with a book I downloaded from the iTunes store and report back.

Edit - Just checked and it seems there was a problem with the book I was reading. The ones I downloaded from iTunes are working fine. Though I would still love to see the effect of the page turning as in iBooks and that the iPad is a little wider, thus managing to show more content in landscape mode than the Nexus 10, making it a better choice for reading books. Only if they could have made it a little lighter.:(

Try using Aldiko Book Reader. I am using it on phone and still love it!
Apart from that you may also try FBReader. It is good one too.

Dont you need 3G/cellular data while you are outside with the tablet?

It can be done any Wi Fi Hot spot enable device such as any android (Gingerbread upwards) running phone....no need to buy costly Wi-Fi + Cellular model - Though N10 did not provide such variants though but it is applicable for costly iPad variants (8k+ difference) , I'm sure OP of this thread got 1 or 2 such andriod device for his disposal.

And sadly this will be up for sale later today. In need of money very urgently as need to get some repair work done at house. Damn these rains.:(

Back