Laptops My MacBook Air M3 running unusually hot ?

Guys, my MacBook Air M3 has been running unusually hot for the last two days, and I don't think it's normal. Even during casual browsing, Netflix, or writing something on Microsoft Word, it's heating up.

This is the 16GB/512GB model. What can I do?

Check Activity Monitor?

its too hot that I cant hold it still for a minute, like its burning
ss.jpeg

There you go.. right on top is the culprit that’s loading 5 cores to the max!! :tearsofjoy:

And judging by the CPU time used, it seems to have practically hogged the vast majority of your computing resources for the entire uptime.
While I cant fully read what it says (Google C….) but i guess its a google chrome subprocess.

switch to safari .. or if you must use chromium then use edge.. chrome is cancer..

Those 2 “google C…” threads seem to have consumed 10X more CPU cycles than all the other processes combined …
which is sad and hilarious at the same time…

on a side note, why you wasting battery and cpu cycles on RTProtection ? 43% of 1 core is quite a bit and almost entirely pointless unless you are running some super confidential stuff on it.
macos apps are inherently sandboxed and user will have to be a complete idiot to get impacted by malware or viruses..

PS; Just hit cmd Q on a chrome window.. your laptops should cool down almost instantly

Last edited:

You should find out what causes Chrome to use that much CPU as that's not normal. You can try using Safari as the other person recommended or if you must stick with chromium then Brave or Arc Browser are great alternatives. If you want to go webkit but also want to use firefox/chrome extensions, you can check out Orion Browser.

However this might also be an extension problem such that if you end up using the same workflow on any other chromium browser, you might end up with the same set of problems but that's something for you to try and tell us. :)

EDIT: You don't need to run a service like MalwareBytes (RTProtectionDaemon), more net loss than gain.

Back