My New Camera Kit..

^^A better buy woud have been the 18-70 DX lens. Its much better optical quality then the 18-55. No idea abt availabiity in india though! Overall still its a great buy :). Way better than similarly priced point and shoots :p.

^ Lol, the DX 18-70 is almost $300 more.

@ mugen - Yea, that's a great buy, assuming you got it for around 25k grey ;) Anything more, and that's a waste on a D40 :p

Anish said:
^ Lol, the DX 18-70 is almost $300 more.

@ mugen - Yea, that's a great buy, assuming you got it for around 25k grey ;) Anything more, and that's a waste on a D40 :p

Naa... its roughly arnd 130-140$ more. Absolutely worth it.

^^Means the lens when put on a nikon DSLR would behave similar to a 35mm camera with a lens of focal length 27-105mm. This is because most digital SLRs have crop(APS) sensors... i.e sensors smaller than 35mm film. So typically one must multiply the focal length of the lens by the crop factor... 1.6X or 1.3X or no crop for canon, 1.5X for all nikon, sony, pentax (samsung too which is a rebadged pentax), minolta and 2X for olympus/leica/panasonic.

There are only two cameras as of now that have a full 35mm sized sensor... the Canon 1Ds-Mk2 and 5D.

^^ The ccd sensor is much smaller than a 35mm film area. So the image is cropped to the sensors size compared to that of a film.

Basically the area a sensor covers @ 18mm (@ wider end) using a DSLR is equal to the area covered @ 27mm using a 35mm film.

This gives one advantage for ppl inclined towards longer focal lengths. A 70-300mm lens becomes 105-450mm lens on a DSLR (comparatively speaking) with a crop factor of 1.5x. lly a 18-70mm lens would be 27-105mm.

PS: Chaos beat me to it

Good Buy Mugen Bhai......

The lense which came with the camera is a DX series lense which is having a 18-50 mm range which is quite good for a start.....

the ratio changes if one uses non Dslr lenses.....like the older nikon series.....I am having a lense of 70-210mm so it will come to 105-315 mm.....

lense.jpg

@anish: 309 here :p

Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 G-AFS ED-IF DX Autofocus Lens

If you buy the 18-55 as it is, that is 150 as well

Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Lens

So basically its 160$ more bleh :p.

@lbm: The focal length must be multiplied by 1.5 irrespective of whether its a dslr lens or an older lens. All focal lengths printed on lenses are for 35mm cameras. So 18-55 will become 27-83 on a nikon crop body. Also the older lenses will work only in manual mode a D40 anyway... since it lacks the focussing motor to autofocus the older lenses.

^ Arre yeah, u got me on that one :p

But I assume he bought the cam from jjmehta, and the 18-70 aint available in India.

jjmehta is lousy :|

Chaos said:
@lbm: The focal length must be multiplied by 1.5 irrespective of whether its a dslr lens or an older lens. All focal lengths printed on lenses are for 35mm cameras. So 18-55 will become 27-83 on a nikon crop body. Also the older lenses will work only in manual mode a D40 anyway... since it lacks the focussing motor to autofocus the older lenses.

the DX seires is specifical made for the DSLR series and we dont need to multiple the ratio as they have been corrected and gives the actual as per the lense mm reading.....the other series need to be multipled by 1.5 to get the correct value....

^^Yes but u still don't get 18-55mm, you get 27-82.5mm on a 1.5x crop sensor. Guaranteed! Its just that the lens is incompatible with anything but a dslr.

Edit: Here's proof

Nikon has today announced the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18 - 70 mm F3.5 - F4.5 G IF-ED lens (what a mouthful!). This new lens joins the range of DX Nikkor lenses which are designed specifically for DX compatible Nikon digital SLR's. Of course the 18 - 70 mm DX is the perfect complement to the newly announced D70 digital SLR. On any Nikon DX compatible digital SLR this lens provides an equivelant field of view of 27 to 105 mm (approx. 4x zoom). This lens is also obviously aimed to 'one up' the Canon 18 - 55 mm lens which now falls short at the telephoto end.

Nikon 18 - 70 mm DX lens: Digital Photography Review

Back