Monitors My theory on 22" TN LCDs

Vij

Skilled
I feel the 22" TN panel LCDs with 1680 x 1050 can be a major hit if the price is about 23k as reported by some buyers.

1. My take is, S-IPS panels are for graphics professionals. I am not exactly an artist and I dont bring work home anyway. So TN 22" isnt bad is it...

2. Now most of us non-graphic professionals use monitors for gaming and movies. The color accuracy doesnt matter much with games. On the positive side I get to run highend games at a good resolution of 1680 x 1050 on a large screen. So I dont need SLI hell for max quality...

Ok so what about DVDs..For me, good DVDs play well enough on TN panels especially when Iam not watching it like I would watch TVs. I would watch it straight on. So why S-IPS.

Bottomline is 22" may have hit a sweet spot especially now that VX2025 has disappeared.

But again if price crosses 26k(dell listed 26k plus tax) it pushes itself closer to Dell 2407 and then it doesnt seem that good.

So...what do you think?

Chaos said:
At 26k, I'd rather get the 2007WFP which is a much much better panel. 2 inches is hardly a concern :p.

Doesnt size matter:p

But if the quality isnt going to be noticeable in games and barely so with movies viewing straight-on whats the point...:huh:

Note: Point made taking into consideration the claims made by some TE friends that 22" Dell can be bargained for 23k.

vij said:
Doesnt size matter:p

But if the quality isnt going to be noticeable in games and barely so with movies viewing straight-on whats the point...:huh:

Note: Point made taking into consideration the claims made by some TE friends that 22" Dell can be bargained for 23k.

Put an S-IPS panel beside a TN and you'll know what I'm talking about. Spending anything more than 15k on a TN is lame.

The VX2025 has completely disappeared from Mumbai.

Its still available in small quantities in Bangalore.

I have a TN Panel, 19" LCD, and trust me, Colour reproduction sucks.

I was making a few graphics for a Website, and when i saw it on a CRT, I noticed that the BG colour didnt match. Lol.

^ There's an Acer AL922 with an MVA panel, but has a pretty lame response time of 25ms. No clue about pricing sorry.

Samsung list a 971p on their website (S-PVA), but it aint in the market (as yet).

Chaos said:
Put an S-IPS panel beside a TN and you'll know what I'm talking about. Spending anything more than 15k on a TN is lame.

I totally agree to that. One needs just have a look at an S-IPS Panel like the Apple 20" CD or the Dell 2007WFP or for that matter any other decent panel to see realize how bad a TN fares. In most cases a side by side comparison is not even required. I would much rather stick with a CRT.

I can see no point in favoring a 22" TN. If it at least had a better resolution than the 20", It might be worth considering at a good price point. The size difference is not that significant and the images will not look as sharp as the 20" due to the higher dot pitch. If I want to save cash, I would go for the 2025WM (if its available)

Its not just about color accuracy, vij :no: I don't know about newer TN panels, but my 740n gets thoroughly embarrased when kept besides the vx2025 :ashamed: Brightness, contrast, black levels, viewing angles, heck even the white balance! I struggled for two days trying to get the 740n to look like the 2025 (as I was using dual-view) but gave up in frustation :p

this is just another rant thread to justify a purchase decision made by vij

if many agree to his choice he will not feel guilty :p

IMO buying a 14k+ TN Panel is utter wastage

better buy Viewsonic VX2025WM (Still available in Prime ABGB, Mumbai) or the Dell 2007WFP if the budget is 18-30k

or the BenQ FP241W or the Dell 2407WFP if the budget is 40-45k

Udit, 18-30K cannot be anyone's budget :rofl: Did you mean 18-20K? But thats only good for TN now.

As I said, I haven't seen any of the newer TN panels. If they have improved, then a 20" TN around 20K would not be a bad choice, provided you never see a mva/pva or s-ips panel :p Ignorance is bliss!

Damm, so no non - TN good 19 inchers out there.

I didnt know the diff between TN and non TN till I went to Croma. After seeing the S-IPS monitors from Apple and HP, I never want to use a TN monitor again !

^ Well Chaos said it well enough. More than 15k on a TN is lame..

@ vij - Take Rio's offer, you might have to drive him home though :rofl: !

udit, you know me too well :p
Hey Rio, hmmm thats a nice offer :eek:hyeah: ...hehe...is the VX2025 available in bangalore and for how much :)

vij said:
udit, you know me too well :p
Hey Rio, hmmm thats a nice offer :eek:hyeah: ...hehe...is the VX2025 available in bangalore and for how much :)
If you're serious about getting one from Bangalore, I can get it arranged... just let me know :)

Back