Nanotech Toilets Take Off

Quad Master

Skilled
Apr 17, 2005
Mumbai, IN
When it comes to high tech toilets, the Japanese are head and shoulders (and maybe other body parts) above the rest of the world.

I remember visiting a cousin in Japan many years ago. He had a toilet with a built-in sink at the top of the tank. Whenever flushed, the tank would refill by way of a faucet above the tank-mounted sink. How ingenious, I thought. The waste water from washing your hands is recycled and used for the next flush. That approach to conservation certainly beats not flushing at all during times of draught here in California.

Over time, the Japanese toilet manufacturers put a lot of emphasis on luxury and hygiene. First came the heated toilet seats. Trust me, if you've never warmed your buns on a toasty toilet seat first thing on a chilly morning, you don't know what you're missing. Pure bliss. Almost enough to make you want to skip the snooze button and get up.

Next came the Japanese bidet toilet seats. Toto, the world's largest single-brand toilet manufacturer, describes its high tech Washlet as "The bathroom accessory that turns your bathroom into an oasis of serenity and comfort." Think automated car wash for your bottom. Using heated water sprays, these things are programmed to clean (and massage) you from front to rear. Some bidet seats have water temperature and pressure adjustments, a wireless remote control, built-in hot air dryer, and even an automatic air purifier. Moreover, fully integrated versions can be built into toilets like Toto's ultra high-end Neorest with seats that automatically open and close on approach or exit, a catalytic air deodorizer, cyclone flush system and auto-sensing light flush mode.

Luxury bidet seats can cost a consumer anywhere from $350 to $800 or more, greater than the price of most toilets. While they are not yet as popular in the U.S. as they are in Japan (where the market penetration is greater than that of microwave ovens), another relatively new and little publicized toilet innovation is emerging as a winner here. Yes, it's the nanotech toilet. It turns out that nanotechnology can address one of those "should do" but highly unpleasant tasks in life – cleaning the toilet. For some of us, that's right up there with pulling weeds, flossing teeth and taking out the garbage. Wouldn't it be great if there were a self-cleaning toilet?

Image:- http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/10/0,1311,i=105887,00.jpg
The Washlet C100 has a heated seat, control panel, aerated warm water, and self-cleaning spray.

[rank=www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1821299,00.asp]Full Article[/rank]

Mods plz move this to the proper section if you feel its not in
I was confused where do i post this thread.
If i had posted it in the General HW section , ppl wud have though
Whats a Toilet Doing here. ;)

So posted it here.

Safin

Skilled
Dec 6, 2004
All over the place!
www.snlogic.com
Now imagine this : I did a mid summer project on this 2 years back :D (oh molecular and monte carlo simulations on a basic substrate )

actually this the basic behind it
Above: The Atomic Force Microscope (AFM) images of conventional (left) vs. SanaGloss glazed (right) surfaces. Smoothness on a nanometer scale helps prevent debris from sticking. With nothing to cling to, particles, molds, and bacteria can be washed away with every flush. (Images courtesy of Toto USA.)

nanotech is primarily being used for the purposes of extra smoothness right now. Even in textiles, the so called nano textile is using the same smoothness principle to achieve the "non cling" nature of particles. What i would like to know is what happens when there is some wearing due to use and maybe brooming :p cos hardiness of the layer is not mentioned and even small deformaties are enough to cause the breakdown of this technique