NAS that doesn't format or duplicate the HDDs

6pack

ex-Mod
My old celeron nuc is too weak to play most videos now so I'm thinking of making it into a dumb data server. Problem is, most of the days is on mixed format drives. Some are portable external drives with either NTFS or ext4 file system and others are 3.5" hdd with NTFS or ext4 file systems.

The nuc doesn't have any hdd inside. Just 4GB DDR3 ram and was running Libreelec through a USB stick. It has 4 USB 3 ports. So I can attach about 6 USB drives to it through a powered USB hub.

How do I go about this in the simplest way without spending money? The max I am willing to spend on this is for a 256GB SSD. Install some Linux server on the SSD and use Samba or NFS to serve files. Or is there a NAS os that runs from USB stick and doesn't need to format drives etc?

Ubuntu/debian/rhel server with nfs and samba.
If you don't want to reformat then mergerfs would be great option with snapraid if you need redenduncy. Try to stay away from NTFS use xfs or zfs if you have same capacity drives.a

Install some Linux server on the SSD and use Samba or NFS to serve files.
Yep, any linux install either on SSD or on a USB drive should suffice. If you are comfortable using command line then even Debian minimal will suffice; just configure Samba and ntfs-3g and you are good to go -
If you need a Gui then there are so many lightweight options which run off a USB drive - Puppy, Slax, Slitaz, TinyCore ...

Last edited:
My old celeron nuc is too weak to play most videos now so I'm thinking of making it into a dumb data server. Problem is, most of the days is on mixed format drives. Some are portable external drives with either NTFS or ext4 file system and others are 3.5" hdd with NTFS or ext4 file systems.

The nuc doesn't have any hdd inside. Just 4GB DDR3 ram and was running Libreelec through a USB stick. It has 4 USB 3 ports. So I can attach about 6 USB drives to it through a powered USB hub.

How do I go about this in the simplest way without spending money? The max I am willing to spend on this is for a 256GB SSD. Install some Linux server on the SSD and use Samba or NFS to serve files. Or is there a NAS os that runs from USB stick and doesn't need to format drives etc?
You don't need to do anything, Libreelec itself works as a NAS. You can set any USB connected devices to be available over the network by enabling samba.

Back