Need a basic C IDE-Compiler app

LaatSahab

Skilled
Earlier during my college days, the Borland's Turbo C was the IDE best and still I prefer it most but due to compatibility issues I'm unable to run it Windows 7 or even in XP mode.

Please suggest me a good IDE and Compiler combo for Windows. I don't mind switching to Linux for C programming, all I want is an app that provides extensive information regarding the errors in the program like Borland's did. IDE can be monochrome for all I care, what I want is a good help system that explains clearly like Borland's help system did. :cool2:

Oh I need for C mates. VS is $hit for that and Dev-C++ is giving me gcc.exe and makefile.exe errors. BTW I'm using Dev-C++ in XP mode of Windows 7, can it be run directly in Windows 7?

Take your pick here :D

OR

Install DosBox, and run Turbo C inside DosBox. Dosbox is free, runs fine under Windows 7, and the DosBox window, unlike a normal console window, *will* expand to full screen on request. If you are already familiar with Turbo C, this may be your best option. More instructions can be found here.

stay away from TurboC. Stay away from DevC++ as well. That project is extremely ancient and no longer maintained.
Use VS2008 Express or MingW+Gcc. Google around a bit, you will find many guides to help you get started.

Ryunosuke said:
Oh I need for C mates. VS is $hit for that and Dev-C++ is giving me gcc.exe and makefile.exe errors. BTW I'm using Dev-C++ in XP mode of Windows 7, can it be run directly in Windows 7?

Have you installed the Dev C++ with Mingw/GCC compiler...I have given you the direct URL...download the 9MB file...it contains IDE as well as compiler...and DevC++ reuns perfectly in Windows 7. You don't have to tun it in Windows XP mode. Tell me more details about your problem.

stalker said:
stay away from TurboC. Stay away from DevC++ as well. That project is extremely ancient and no longer maintained.
Use VS2008 Express or MingW+Gcc. Google around a bit, you will find many guides to help you get started.

Who told you that DevC++ project is no longer maintained? It's in constant development and has good support. Also DevC++ uses Mingw/GCC complier...do your homework before posting anything...

Thanks a lot guys. Got DOS Box working and Borland running. Will update about Dev-C++ too, soon. BTW In my laptop I do have VS2008 Professional edition installled and it currently has C++,C# and VB as development languages. To get C, do I have to add on something extra?

The c++ compiler which comes with vs2k8 can compile most c code. Using c++ compiler for compiling c code has got lot's of benefits, eg: better type checking.
Why not consider linux? Just install some linux distro like ubuntu in virtualbox and use rich set of tool available for c programmers.

I do have Linux installed on almost every PC I have. Ubuntu on my desktop, Sabayon on my laptop. I tried Code:Blocks as suggested by Gaurish and it has nice GUI but it gain lacks at the place which I want the most. When an error occurs in a program, it tells the error, the position of it and everything except the necessary info to remove it. I mean there is no right-click tool tip or help file that opens up to tell us what are we doing wrong and what is the right way to do so. This is what was exceptionally well executed in Borland's C IDE. If similar features are available in Dev-C++ or Code:Blocks, just tell me where or how to enable them?

Konquerror said:
Have you installed the Dev C++ with Mingw/GCC compiler...I have given you the direct URL...download the 9MB file...it contains IDE as well as compiler...and DevC++ reuns perfectly in Windows 7. You don't have to tun it in Windows XP mode. Tell me more details about your problem.

Who told you that DevC++ project is no longer maintained? It's in constant development and has good support. Also DevC++ uses Mingw/GCC complier...do your homework before posting anything...

I'm pretty sure that a tool that last had an update in 2005 is not under further development. Not to mention that the version of mingw bundled is 3.14

You might wanna do your homework too, Browse Dev-C++ Files on SourceForge.net

Back