Need a new mobo - appreciate your suggestions. Need to get PC back up

pguy

Disciple
My PC hasn't been booting erratically for the last couple of weeks. It was my primary gaming machine, but I don't game anymore - so am looking to convert it into a low noise HTPC/regular use machine.

Q: What is your budget?

Upto 20k

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

CPU - Intel Q6600

Motherboard - Need a new one

GPU - GTX 295 - will be selling this - would prefer a dual DVI mobo solution.

RAM - 4 x 2GB Gskill DDR2

Monitor - Dell 2311H

SMPS - Seasonic 850@

(please mention the rest in above format)

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

Monitor - Dell 2311

SMPS - Willing to sell and get a low power/low noise one. I had this to power the GTX 295

(please mention the rest in above format)

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

Motherboard - any compatible motherboard

Will buy in Mumbai, mostly Primeabgb

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

Yes

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

Browsing

Desktop Processing

HTPC

Watching HD movies

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows 7 64 bit

so you want to downgrade your pc? ummm

you can get a gigabyte g41 m combo.will serve the purpose.as for a htpc gfx card check out for a used 5450 or get a 6450.this is a very silent gfx card.you can get the mobo and gfxcard for around 4.5 k.

vantheman5211 said:
so you want to downgrade your pc? ummm

you can get a gigabyte g41 m combo.will serve the purpose.as for a htpc gfx card check out for a used 5450 or get a 6450.this is a very silent gfx card.you can get the mobo and gfxcard for around 4.5 k.

Yep, downgrade it is going to be. Any cards with Dual DVI? Your suggested combo fits really well with what I think the PC should end up being used for. Any thoughts on which power supply to downgrade to?

for psu you can get a seasonic s12 ii 430w ~ 2.7k. For gpu you can consider a hd6570 ~ 3.8k as g41 isn't great for FHD playback. But i am not sure about dual dvi output.

vivek.krishnan said:
Do you have 4x 2GB sticks or 2x4GB sticks? The G41M combo[http://www.gigabyte.in/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3997]combo has support for either 2 DDR2 and 2 DDR3 sticks, not simultaneously. Best thing to do is get rid of either 2/4 sticks go with G41m combo with remaining 2 sticks/2 new DDR3 sticks.

For the GPU go with a AMD 6570/6670, use it with DP instead of DVI-D.

Man, what a catch about the RAM. Thank you so much. I have 4 x 2GB sticks. I guess the max DDR2 supported on this mobo is 4GB then. Any chances of recommending a mobo that can take the 4 sticks as is?

Yes, but dont think its wise to spend that much on a dead platform. The boards i saw were full ATX(expensive), P43/P45 chipset. Plus availability will be an issue. will post the links asap.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-P43-ES3G (rev. 1.4)

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-EP43-UD3L (rev. 1.1)

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-P43-ES3G (rev. 1.3)

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-EP43-UD3L (rev. 1.3)

GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-EG41MF-US2H (rev. 1.3)

These are some of the boards. Why not do with DP?

sell off your q6600 and get an energy efficient sandy bridge core i3 2100 and intel h67 ~ 10.5k and 8gb dual channel 1600 mhz ddr3 for 2.8k. You can sell off your processor and mobo and go for this.

DarkAngel said:
sell off your q6600 and get an energy efficient sandy bridge core i3 2100 and intel h67 ~ 10.5k and 8gb dual channel 1600 mhz ddr3 for 2.8k. You can sell off your processor and mobo and go for this.

That too sounds like a plan. I just posted on the 'what can I get for this' thread. Let me see how this goes.

navs27 has a G620 + gigabyte H61 board on hold for me @ 5650, 1month old. Take that, or i3+H67 combo. But can you tell me if you have displayport on your 2311H?

The 2311H has a display port, but I've heard its buggy and won't really work in most of the cases in a dual monitor setup

An update. I kinda went overboard and replaced most of the major stuff :D

I kept my Seasonic 850W PS. Got a i5 2500k + Asus P8Z68-M PRO Z68 + 2 x 4GB DDR3 Gskill + Intel 320 SSD 80GB. This should chug along for some time :)

pguy said:
An update. I kinda went overboard and replaced most of the major stuff :D

I kept my Seasonic 850W PS. Got a i5 2500k + Asus P8Z68-M PRO Z68 + 2 x 4GB DDR3 Gskill + Intel 320 SSD 80GB. This should chug along for some time :)

Now that was waaaaaaaaaaay overboard! Congrats on your new rig! Now get rid of your old stuff ASAP here on TE.

Yes, going to get the pics and put it up tonight. Thanks to all of you - just when I researched I realized how precise your judgement was when it came to the right stuff and the price based on what I asked for. Hope to sell stuff soon using TE :)

I get first dibs on your stuff! Also had enquired on monday about 4 slot ddr2 board for you and there were none. So a wise decision anyways.

Back