Monitors Need a new monitor 24" FHD or 27" QHD

Emil

Skilled
This as a follow-up of my thread Need budget monitor 20-22"
I am now back home and ready to decide and buy a monitor. After much good advice I got in that thread, here is what I want.
I need to use it for my new Mac Mini M1. Correct me if I am wrong but I have read that a 27" monitor will need QHD because I would see the discrete pixels with a FHD. With 24", I don't believe that a QHD resolution may result in smaller text size for documents. I am open to being corrected. I am looking for decent screen brightness. My current Viewsonic VG1930wm is 300 cd/sq m and I would like the same or better. In my earlier thread, I was advised IPS so I'll go with that if needed. Note that my viewing distance is about 15-18". Note also that I am a senior citizen and I do not need it for any games at all. It is mainly for office type work and maybe occasionally for viewing videos.
Monitor should be reliable (reputation of the brand?)
Basic requirements
24" FHD or 27" QHD (based on my previous comments), 2xHDMI (1 is enough if USB-C is there), decent brightness and contrast for my viewing conditions. VESA wall mount (75x75 or 100x100)
There are a few things that are desirable but not essential.
1. Thunderbolt USB-C that will carry video, sound and also data for the hub (suggest a cable too if the monitor comes without the cable)
2. USB hub with 2 or more downstream USB
3. Stereo speakers 2Wx2 (output connection to the subwoofer preferred)

My requirement is rather urgent. If it is a 27" QHD, I am willing to go a bit above 20K. Depends on which desirables are fulfilled. Obviously for 24" it would be lower.

Last edited:
Honestly, depends on the budget.

You can get 27" QHD at 20k or so.

This should be good, just lacks height adjustable stand. Before you say you don't need a gaming monitor, find me a 27" QHD 60/75Hz monitor at least 2-3k cheaper than this. That monitor has good colour reproduction + contrast ratio.

For height adjustable stand + USB ports, get this for 22k:
Heck, this monitor has good out-of-the-box colour calibration as well, making it good choice for content creation as well. No type C display support, so need converters.

Speakers on monitors are not usable at all. I have a 30k Asus monitor with 2W x2 speakers. You are better off buying ₹500 speakers if you need something usable. Anyways, both of them have speakers

Honestly, depends on the budget.

You can get 27" QHD at 20k or so.

This should be good, just lacks height adjustable stand. Before you say you don't need a gaming monitor, find me a 27" QHD 60/75Hz monitor at least 2-3k cheaper than this. That monitor has good colour reproduction + contrast ratio.

For height adjustable stand + USB ports, get this for 22k:
Heck, this monitor has good out-of-the-box colour calibration as well, making it good choice for content creation as well. No type C display support, so need converters.

Speakers on monitors are not usable at all. I have a 30k Asus monitor with 2W x2 speakers. You are better off buying ₹500 speakers if you need something usable. Anyways, both of them have speakers
Thanks. I am looking at those Acer monitors and they are interesting. I don't care about the height adjustable stand. I just need VESA wall mount compatibility. I am not saying I don't want a gaming monitor. Just that I don't want to pay a premium for the sake of that.
With regard to sound, I already have my old Creative 2.1 and I am not sure if I even want to continue using those. I rarely use them to listen to music. I just need the speakers for online meetings.

Thanks. I am looking at those Acer monitors and they are interesting. I don't care about the height adjustable stand. I just need VESA wall mount compatibility. I am not saying I don't want a gaming monitor. Just that I don't want to pay a premium for the sake of that.
With regard to sound, I already have my old Creative 2.1 and I am not sure if I even want to continue using those. I rarely use them to listen to music. I just need the speakers for online meetings.
Sadly no other options. LG's non gaming QHD monitors cost 21k which is just inferior in every way to 22k Acer one IMO.

Just use those speakers when needed, monitor speakers are just very bad. Maybe 5W x2 would have been usable.

Sadly no other options. LG's non gaming QHD monitors cost 21k which is just inferior in every way to 22k Acer one IMO.

Just use those speakers when needed, monitor speakers are just very bad. Maybe 5W x2 would have been usable.
I have written to Acer sales support seeking some clarifications. Here are the questions regarding Acer Nitro XV272U:
1. Is the monitor VESA wall mount compatible?
2. The listing on Amazon India mentions that it has a USB 3.0 hub. It also says " HDMI Display and USB 3.0 Cable included". Can you confirm that?
3. Does it have a USB-C thunderbolt port and can I use it to connect from my Mac Mini M1?
I would appreciate if anyone here can answer my questions
Edit: I ordered the Acer Nitro XV272U from Amazon. Just before I ordered, the price dropped to Rs 20900. Got a further 750 discount using my HDFC card. It was the last piece and now it is no more available.
Thanks to @OMEGA44-XT , @desiibond and all those who had given suggestions in my old thread.

Last edited:
I have written to Acer sales support seeking some clarifications. Here are the questions regarding Acer Nitro XV272U:
2. The listing on Amazon India mentions that it has a USB 3.0 hub. It also says " HDMI Display and USB 3.0 Cable included". Can you confirm that?
3. Does it have a USB-C thunderbolt port and can I use it to connect from my Mac Mini M1?
Edit: I ordered the Acer Nitro XV272U from Amazon. Just before I ordered, the price dropped to Rs 20900. Got a further 750 discount using my HDFC card. It was the last piece and now it is no more available.
Thanks to @OMEGA44-XT , @desiibond and all those who had given suggestions in my old thread.
1. Yes, check official specs & rtings.com review. 100x 100

2. Yes, check official specs & rtings.com review

3. No, I did mention it lacks type C & needs converter, forget Thunderbolt.

I think you might need a 15A to 5A plug converter as well.

1. Yes, check official specs & rtings.com review. 100x 100
Thanks
2. Yes, check official specs & rtings.com review
Thanks
3. No, I did mention it lacks type C & needs converter, forget Thunderbolt.
You did but you had linked the url for VG271U at that point. NP

I think you might need a 15A to 5A plug converter as well.
I might just use a 5A mains cord if I have a spare.

I got my new monitor Acer Nitro XV272U and set it up. Using it with Dell laptop at the moment with 1920x1080 resolution. I have to back up my Windows desktop before setting up my Mac mini.
The disappointing thing is that the manufacturing date is May 2021.

I got my new monitor Acer Nitro XV272U and set it up. Using it with Dell laptop at the moment with 1920x1080 resolution. I have to back up my Windows desktop before setting up my Mac mini.
The disappointing thing is that the manufacturing date is May 2021.
Why are you running a 1440p monitor at 1080p? Everything will look blurry.

As a owner of the other variant XV272U P, I can answer the questions. The same is applicable for the KV variant too, as I owned for few weeks.

1. Yes, it has the VESA mount. I am using it along with the Amazon basics Dual Monitor stand currently.
2. Yes, it comes with a USB 3.0 hub with 2 in the back and 2 in the side. Also, it comes with a USB 3.0 A to B cable for this. Please note, this is just an extension not a KVM one.
3. No USB C

In case of any other questions, you can DM me. Happy to help a fellow member.

Why are you running a 1440p monitor at 1080p? Everything will look blurry.
The Dell laptop supports 1920 x 1080 at the maximum resolution. I also have a desktop which I will be connecting shortly to the monitor and finally, I will connect the mac mini which will use the full resolution of the monitor.
As a owner of the other variant XV272U P, I can answer the questions. The same is applicable for the KV variant too, as I owned for few weeks.

1. Yes, it has the VESA mount. I am using it along with the Amazon basics Dual Monitor stand currently.
2. Yes, it comes with a USB 3.0 hub with 2 in the back and 2 in the side. Also, it comes with a USB 3.0 A to B cable for this. Please note, this is just an extension not a KVM one.
3. No USB C

In case of any other questions, you can DM me. Happy to help a fellow member.
Thank you for your answers. I already got the monitor and set it up last week. But it is very likely I might have more questions when I set it up with the mac mini but this will probably not happen this month due to logistical reasons.

I have been using my new monitor for a couple of weeks now. I just noticed today that there is one red pixel in the middle of the screen. It does not create any problem for me and it is only visible on a black background. Do I need to do something about it like make a complaint?

I have been using my new monitor for a couple of weeks now. I just noticed today that there is one red pixel in the middle of the screen. It does not create any problem for me and it is only visible on a black background. Do I need to do something about it like make a complaint?
This is called a stuck pixel, where the pixel doesn't "turn off" to show black when required.
In your case the Red sub-pixel is stuck on all the time.

If it is not bothering you, I'd suggest you continue using it and see if more dead/stuck pixels develop over time. Acer says there should be >2 stuck sub-pixels or >5 dead sub-pixels to claim warranty.

On my 32" QHD, the dead sub-pixels were only visible from certain angles/close-up examinations. In general use I wouldn't even notice it. On a 27" it should be even less prominent.

Good news is you will get on-site support, so you won't be without a monitor if you decide to claim warranty in the future. Bad news is you will wait a long time for the service centre to source a replacement that is free from dead/stuck pixels.

This is called a stuck pixel, where the pixel doesn't "turn off" to show black when required.
In your case the Red sub-pixel is stuck on all the time.

If it is not bothering you, I'd suggest you continue using it and see if more dead/stuck pixels develop over time. Acer says there should be >2 stuck sub-pixels or >5 dead sub-pixels to claim warranty.

On my 32" QHD, the dead sub-pixels were only visible from certain angles/close-up examinations. In general use I wouldn't even notice it. On a 27" it should be even less prominent.

Good news is you will get on-site support, so you won't be without a monitor if you decide to claim warranty in the future. Bad news is you will wait a long time for the service centre to source a replacement that is free from dead/stuck pixels.
Thank you. Do I have to register my purchase online now to avail of warranty if/when required?

Back