Need a powerful desktop/laptop in 50-60 k.

humans

Disciple
Hi All,

Need your suggestions/inputs in buying a laptop or desktop for my personal use. Basically what I am looking for is powerful machine on which I can run couple of virtual server with various OS's and software's. Personally I prefer a Laptop but not averse to desktop too in case the price for Laptop goes beyond limit. Thanks
1. Q: What is your budget?
50-60K (Can increase a bit for good laptop fulfilling my other below mentioned requirements)

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
Laptop Acer Aspire 1692 (6 yr old now and still running fine)

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Nothing needs a complete new machine.

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
a) CPU – Thinking about i7 Sandy Bridge or Phenom II X4
b) Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
c) GPU – Any reliable make/model with at least 1GB DDR5 and supporting full HD resolution.(1920x1080)
d) Memory – 8GB DDR3 1333 or 1600
e) HDD – (SSD 80/120 GB and 1 TB 7200 RPM) or 1 TB Seagate Hybrid model.
f) Optical Drive – Blue-Ray Combo
g) Monitor –VIEWSONIC VX2250 WM (Open to suggestion)
h) Keyboard / Mouse – Will prefer wireless but open to suggestion. Really liked TVS Gold in the 90’s, responsive feedback while typing.

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
No, will not be putting anything else in machine for at least next 2 yr.

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
a) Delhi
b) Open to online purchase(Including Laptop from Amazon or any other US online store)

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
a) Work, running couples of virtual server/pc, testing software’s, some CPU and Memory intensive work.
b) Watching HD movies

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
No preference but would like to buy products with proven reliability and service support.

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Will not be playing games.

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Desktop / Laptop - 1920x1080

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No, will remain in stock, reliability is primary concern and don’t want to try things which even have slight potential to give any problem.

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
a) Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
b) Windows Server 2008 R2
c) Linux (many variations)
d) Solaris

You need to decide/convince yourself whether to get a laptop or a desktop first, then posting accordingly would help. We all know that laptops at 60k are nowhere near the performance of a desktop for 60k , so yeah if that doubt is cast out helping out would become mighty easier :)

Components Description Price (INR)

Processor Intel Core i5 2500(3.3GHz, 4 Cores) 10300

Motherboard Intel® DH67BL 5600

RAM Corsair 2*4GB DDRIII 1333MHz/GSkill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL PC3-12800 4300/5300

HDD Seagate 1 TB 7200.12 2700

GPU Intel HD2000 IGP -

Monitor Benq E2220HD 8600

Cabinet NZXT Gamma 2200

PSU Corsair CX400 W 2500

Key Board Logitech SET - Optical Blk Mouse+ MMKB 700

Mouse NA -

ODD LITEON 4X BLURAY ROM iHES108-292 5000

Speakers Altec Lansing 2.1 VS2621 1600

Total 44500

• The above rig would be sufficient enough for your usage IMO.
  • The above Benq has HDMI ports. If you need better monitor you can go for the Dell U2311H or Samsung PX2370 ~ 14k-14.5k
  • The HD 2000 IGP of the Intel is sufficient enough for HD movie watch IMO
  • For the SSD's wait for the new gen. Sand Force SF2xxx based gen controller based ones to hit Indian shores as you get a good speed boost compared to current gen. drives. So keep aside 10k or so for that.

In case of laptops look out for XPS 17 with a SB quad i7 2630QM. It also has 2 HDD bays IINM so you can add a SSD yourself. You can get a decent quad config with 6GB-8GB RAM and Blu Ray for ~$1100 with a few coupons. Logicbuy had many coupons for that few days back.

But it is not launched in India and you would have to source it from US.

l33t said:
You need to decide/convince yourself whether to get a laptop or a desktop first, then posting accordingly would help. We all know that laptops at 60k are nowhere near the performance of a desktop for 60k , so yeah if that doubt is cast out helping out would become mighty easier :)
Hi l33t,

Thanks for replying, but as I said above the configuration is more important and not whether it is desktop or laptop. Also reiterating I personally prefer laptop and can increase my budget to 75k for laptop, but not averse to desktop too if get something decent within budget. See I am open to suggestion and haven't blocked my mind for any other better options.

Some options I have looked, liked and thinking about them

This one from Asus is going to cost 75k shipped with all the duties and taxes.

Amazon.com: ASUS G73SW-XA1 Republic of Gamers 17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop (Black): Computer & Accessories

This one is going to be less than 70k shipped with all the duties and taxes.

Amazon.com: Acer AS7750G-9621 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black): Computer & Accessories

DarkAngel said:
In case of laptops look out for XPS 17 with a SB quad i7 2630QM. It also has 2 HDD bays IINM so you can add a SSD yourself. You can get a decent quad config with 6GB-8GB RAM and Blu Ray for ~$1100 with a few coupons. Logicbuy had many coupons for that few days back.

But it is not launched in India and you would have to source it from US.
Hi DarkAngel,

Thanks for replying. The XPS you suggested seems quite good and within budget too, will definitely look into this.

The desktop suggestion is also within budget and seems tempting as I will save some money on that. Just one question doesn't i7 will be better than i5? How much will be the performance gain compared to money spent more on i7. Read here in forum performance gain 20% for more than 50% price, is this correct? Thanks in advance.

humans said:
Hi DarkAngel,

Thanks for replying. The XPS you suggested seems quite good and within budget too, will definitely look into this.

The desktop suggestion is also within budget and seems tempting as I will save some money on that. Just one question doesn't i7 will be better than i5? How much will be the performance gain compared to money spent more on i7. Read here in forum performance gain 20% for more than 50% price, is this correct? Thanks in advance.
Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Not even 20% advantage. Mostly 5%-10% in most cases!.
Only difference is more cache, Hyper Thread and 100MHz speed bump (i5 2500 is 3.3GHz and i7 2600 is 3.4GHz) Its not worthy upgrade IMHO.

humans said:
Hi l33t,

Thanks for replying, but as I said above the configuration is more important and not whether it is desktop or laptop. Also reiterating I personally prefer laptop and can increase my budget to 75k for laptop, but not averse to desktop too if get something decent within budget. See I am open to suggestion and haven't blocked my mind for any other better options.

The bolded statement looks a bit contradictory. The general rule is that you can get a much powerful desktop than a laptop at a given price point. Suppose you have 50K budget, the desktop which you can get for that budget will blow away the laptop for the same price. The performance gap between desktop and laptop can narrow down at higher budgets, but a desktop will always offer more performance (and customizability) than a laptop at the same price point.

IMO u should look into different approach buy a desktop ~50 for heavy tasks and a 12" netbook ~20k for 720p playback,browsing,office work etc.

dark angel suggest appropriate config to your needs.my preference regarding monitor,cabinet would be Dell U2311H ~14k,CM elite 370 respectively.

@OP: DA's suggestions as usual are exceptional.
As an avid VM user myself (I do cloud/VM stuff for food) I'd recommend a spare el' cheapo monitor. Always comes in handy when you need to work with more than one OS simultaneously. A cheap FHD lets you run 2 800x600 boxes or if on a tight budget grab a secondhand crt for a grand and you'll still be happy!

vip said:
IMO u should look into different approach buy a desktop ~50 for heavy tasks and a 12" netbook ~20k for 720p playback,browsing,office work etc.

dark angel suggest appropriate config to your needs.my preference regarding monitor,cabinet would be Dell U2311H ~14k,CM elite 370 respectively.
Although your suggestion is very good and valid one, but this is not exactly my requirement. Reason is I already have one laptop (Acer Centrino 1692) at home for browsing/downloading and one Thinkpad from office for official work. Now the problem is I need a machine with latest configurations to do some heavy R&D kind of stuff, which I can't do on my Acer as it is not 64 bit and doesn't support more than 2GB RAM. And obviously it's not possible to do R&D on office laptop :), so need one another powerful machine.

Back