PC Peripherals Need a small UPS

ch@ts

Skilled
My router located in a rather inconvenient place, and I can't move it unless I call an electrician and pull a few cables. Which is not something I want to do.

My buildings got power back-up, but it takes about 30 seconds to kick in, during which time my router goes off.
I'd like to use my router to download torrents, but if I do it without a UPS then I'll probably just end up killing my portable HDD.

The router is positioned close to the ceiling, behind a beam (wi-fi performance is just about acceptable). It sits on a 6*6 inch glass shelf.
I need a small UPS that'll fit on that shelf.
I don't need a 600VA UPS, but something much smaller. The only things it'll power are the router and an external 3.5" HDD.

I haven't been able to find anything, and I need some help!

IMG_20140619_102504445.jpg

But I think those are off-line(whatever that is!) ups's.
I think I need a line-interactive one.
offline would be fine for your use... they can switch fast enough to keep your small setup running. onlines usually cater to big loads and sensitive equipment... they always supply conditioned current off the batteries. and obviously their batteries need to be replaced much sooner than their offline counterparts.

@gauravH I thought most computer UPS's were line-interactive, and the expensive ones were online.
Today was the first time I heard about offline UPS's.

@puns - do inverters switch fast enough so that your equipment doesn't shut off?

@gauravH I thought most computer UPS's were line-interactive, and the expensive ones were online.
Today was the first time I heard about offline UPS's.

@puns - do inverters switch fast enough so that your equipment doesn't shut off?

Sine wave inverters switch immediately between mains & backup. But it depends on the manufacturer & inverter technology. You would need to confirm with the company / seller.
Since there is no PSU involved , a sine wave inverter should do the job. Just confirm before buying.

Back