Storage Solutions Need advice for buying 500 GB SSD

DrkLord

Adept
Guys I'm looking to buy a 500 GB SSD with great performance and endurance meaning the Read/Write speed drop should not be too much after 3-4 years of use. The SSD will primarily be used for coding and gaming. I have already got one 250 GB SSD which I use to run my OS on and was looking to get a drive with greater storage.

WD blue, 1TB is better though in terms of bang/gb. Don't worry much about endurance with your use case, should easily last 5+ years with a little bit health loss.

WD blue, 1TB is better though in terms of bang/gb. Don't worry much about endurance with your use case, should easily last 5+ years with a little bit health loss.
Sadly I haven't got the budget for 1 tb currently. I would have a total of nearly 600 gb of ssd space combining the 1 ssd i have and the 500 gb ssd I will buy. How do you find wd blue sn 550?

It is not great to tell you what you want, but just in case it helps : performance of SSDs doesn't practically matter as much as people think. See :

In that test, for gaming and video editing, most people couldn't tell the difference between SATA, gen 3 NVMe and expensive gen 4 NVMe. Granted your use case is not gaming or video editing, but unfortunately a huge majority of PC testing is taking place for those use cases. Gives some food for thought to us programmers too.

So in case a slower 1 TB SSD is in your budget and a faster 500 GB SSD is not, you might think about getting the slower 1 TB SSD.

It is not great to tell you what you want, but just in case it helps : performance of SSDs doesn't practically matter as much as people think. See :

In that test, for gaming and video editing, most people couldn't tell the difference between SATA, gen 3 NVMe and expensive gen 4 NVMe. Granted your use case is not gaming or video editing, but unfortunately a huge majority of PC testing is taking place for those use cases. Gives some food for thought to us programmers too.

So in case a slower 1 TB SSD is in your budget and a faster 500 GB SSD is not, you might think about getting the slower 1 TB SSD.
True. Only the screen load times improved on World of warcraft after upgrading from HDD to SSD. Only asset loading times would improve.

Have both the SN550 (1TB) and MX500 (M.2 500GB), can highly recommend both. I would recommend the SN550 500GB over the MX500 if at the same cost or priced very similarly, such as within ₹100 or so (and assuming your system can support a NVMe drive in the first place), otherwise get whichever is cheaper. Both are excellent drives.

True. Only the screen load times improved on World of warcraft after upgrading from HDD to SSD. Only asset loading times would improve.
Experienced gamers even failed to notice the differences in load times between different SSDs. Of course this was not a comparison with HDDs.

The difference between SSD types is very negligible (under 1~2sec between SATA and nvme SSD in WoW). I'm using a SATA MX500 as my game drive and will be sticking to that for the foreseeable future.

For NVME drives Samsung 970 Evo plus is good. It has 1GB dram cache.
For Sata Samsung Evo 860 is good. Also has Dram.

But if you want from Gaming and regular use, you dont need dram ssds . WD blue is pretty good. Its 1TB at the price of 500gb and you get double endurance.
Mx 500 is also pretty decent. Whatever you do, dont get Adata.

Guys I'm looking to buy a 500 GB SSD with great performance and endurance meaning the Read/Write speed drop should not be too much after 3-4 years of use. The SSD will primarily be used for coding and gaming. I have already got one 250 GB SSD which I use to run my OS on and was looking to get a drive with greater storage.
Are you looking for Sata or M.2?

Are you looking for Sata or M.2?
I have got 1 nvme m.2 slot lying unused. From what I have read there aren't any significant speed differences between Nvme and normal m.2 other than sequential access of data. I will be mostly using it for coding, and sometimes for gaming with little bit of blender rendering. Keeping this in mind nvme doesn't hold that much charm for me. But, if I can get same capacity drive at same price then I will go for nvme. Otherwise, sata or even M.2 (i will have to use a M.2 to SATA converter though).

+1 for MX 500. Also have A2000 from Kingston and frankly, didn't observe too much of a difference between two when it comes to casual use. For specific use case, sure nvme with PCI lanes will help, but with a normal use case mentioned, you would be better off with any of the above mentioned drives.
Samsung gives best performance but charges a premium.
Next closest is Crucial.
Have 2 mx500 on my desktop and laptop, no issues since the last 3 years.

Back