Budget 31-40k Need advice for Graphic Card upgrade

A while back I had purchased a 144hz monitor, and I'm totally loving it but on certain games I'm not able to take advantage of it fully as my system is not pumping out required FPS always. I do not plan to upgrade CPU or any other component anytime soon.
I'm thinking about going for RTX 2060 Super but not sure if that would be an overkill. Please suggest something that would go along with my current rig and not get bottlenecked. Also is it worth waiting for the 3000 series? I'm open to all suggestions :)
  1. What is your budget?
    • 35k (can go higher)
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel i7 6700k
    • Motherboard - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
    • GPU - Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB DDR5
    • RAM - Kingston HyperXFury - 8gbx2
    • Monitor - BenQ XL2411P(144Hz) + Dell u2312hm(60Hz)
    • PSU - Seasonic S12ii Bronze 520W PSU
  3. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • This will be my final configuration.
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • Graphic card
  5. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Open to online purchase
    • Kerala - Kottayam
  6. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  7. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Video Editing
    • Streaming
    • Image editing
    • Browsing
    • Movies
  8. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Perfer Nvidia over AMD
    • Im sceptical about Inno3D, Galax and Colorful
  9. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Apex Legends
    • Call of Duty Modern Warfare (2019)
    • Cyberpunk2077
  10. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1920x1080
    2. Desktop - 1920x1080

Last edited:
RTX 2060 or 2070 for bit future proofing. Inno3D is a very old brand,I also heard about the other brands that you mentioned. Check who are the after sales service provider in India for that brand and their reputation. Longer warranty matters a lot for brands like Zotac, Aorus etc

for 144fps stable throughout games like Battlefield V, RTX 2060 or RTX 2070 won’t achieve it at 1080p. You should go for 2080S which wouldn’t be in your budget. If 144fps stable is not a key requirement, RTX 2070 is the Value for money.

Everything is a speculation about Ampere 3000 series. Obviously there is going to be an performance increase with every gem cards, but nothing confirmed as of now.

for 144fps stable throughout games like Battlefield V, RTX 2060 or RTX 2070 won’t achieve it at 1080p. You should go for 2080S which wouldn’t be in your budget. If 144fps stable is not a key requirement, RTX 2070 is the Value for money.

Everything is a speculation about Ampere 3000 series. Obviously there is going to be an performance increase with every gem cards, but nothing confirmed as of now.

Forgot to mention that 144fps stable is more of a requirement for multiplayer titles, and I dont really mind dropping down graphics quality for those.
2060S seems to have very close performance to 2070, that's why I had been thinking about going for it.

3000 series is not coming out very soon right? Is it worth waiting it out?

Forgot to mention that 144fps stable is more of a requirement for multiplayer titles, and I dont really mind dropping down graphics quality for those.
2060S seems to have very close performance to 2070, that's why I had been thinking about going for it.

I don’t have an RTX card but I game with i5 8600k and gtx 1080. To give you a baseline of how GTX 1080 performs, it is not able to achieve more than 100-110fps in Battlefield V at the lowest possible settings at 1080p. You can compare this performance of GTX 1080 with the latest RTX cards to see that the performance of RTX 2070 is 5% more than GTX 1080 which is not a great value for money.

i am not sure about the release dates of ampere cards because COVID 19 is already causing supply chain disruptions everywhere and even if it launches on Sep 2020, there are good chances that it will get delayed before it comes to India.
Post automatically merged:

I don’t have an RTX card but I game with i5 8600k and gtx 1080. To give you a baseline of how GTX 1080 performs, it is not able to achieve more than 100-110fps in Battlefield V at the lowest possible settings at 1080p. You can compare this performance of GTX 1080 with the latest RTX cards to see that the performance of RTX 2070 is 5% more than GTX 1080 which is not a great value for money.

i am not sure about the release dates of ampere cards because COVID 19 is already causing supply chain disruptions everywhere and even if it launches on Sep 2020, there are good chances that it will get delayed before it comes to India.

to put it shortly, you need to consider the games you would be playing and how it RTX 2060S performs at that game. Battlefield V is a demanding game and you won’t be able to achieve 144fps even even with RTX 2070

Post automatically merged:

to put it shortly, you need to consider the games you would be playing and how it RTX 2060S performs at that game. Battlefield V is a demanding game and you won’t be able to achieve 144fps even even with RTX 2070
At the moment what I'm concerned about the most is Apex Legends I guess, and I think these should be able to handle it. But yeah would prefer the card to be future proofy.
Now I'm kinda swaying towards 2070 but most of the 2070S I see are listed on the 50k area, that's a real bump on the budget.

Last edited:
At the moment what I'm concerned about the most is Apex Legends I guess, and I think these should be able to handle it. But yeah would prefer the card to be future proofy.
Now I'm kinda swaying towards 2070 but most of the 2070S I see are listed on the 50k area, that's a real bump on the budget.
The Rtx 2060 super and the rtx 2070 are really way too similar and finding a 2070 for below 35k isn't too common (doesn't make sense with the 2060s's performance being literally close to the 2070)
Rumors are also reporting the new ampere cards to have REALLY high voltage requirements with most of the cards needing a 12 pin connector.
Now there is the rx 5700xt which is around 40k with performance close to an rtx 2070 super, i will however prefer nvidia over amd in the high end sector with DLSS 2.0 being a huge factor (check out digital foundry's video on death stranding). It's nuts how good dlss is.

P:S :- Just wanted to let you know that i have been wanting to sell my apex account for a while, it's nothing special (lvl 89)aside from the kunai heirloom that i have. Didn't feel like making a sale thread for this at all so just wanted to let you know since you said apex legends :p ( unless you have a way more glorious account then that's fine lol)

AFAIK, if you go with RTX 2070 super, the recommended power rating is 650W+ & for RTX 2070 it is 550W. So would need to consider a PSU upgrade for sure.

The Rtx 2060 super and the rtx 2070 are really way too similar and finding a 2070 for below 35k isn't too common (doesn't make sense with the 2060s's performance being literally close to the 2070)
Rumors are also reporting the new ampere cards to have REALLY high voltage requirements with most of the cards needing a 12 pin connector.
Now there is the rx 5700xt which is around 40k with performance close to an rtx 2070 super, i will however prefer nvidia over amd in the high end sector with DLSS 2.0 being a huge factor (check out digital foundry's video on death stranding). It's nuts how good dlss is.

P:S :- Just wanted to let you know that i have been wanting to sell my apex account for a while, it's nothing special (lvl 89)aside from the kunai heirloom that i have. Didn't feel like making a sale thread for this at all so just wanted to let you know since you said apex legends :p ( unless you have a way more glorious account then that's fine lol)

Kunai is tempting but I have a level 371 account with all the bp so not planning to swap. Hoping to get heirloom myself someday. :nomouth:

Kunai is tempting but I have a level 371 account with all the bp so not planning to swap. Hoping to get heirloom myself someday. :nomouth:
Understandable, perhaps if you want to smurf just dm me. And yes it was pretty insane when i got the heirloom shards at around level 60, so many of my friends that i played with got pissed af lol :p

AFAIK, if you go with RTX 2070 super, the recommended power rating is 650W+ & for RTX 2070 it is 550W. So would need to consider a PSU upgrade for sure.
Now that's a point that I had totally overlooked, can you reccomend something that would work with the current PSU?

Your psu is 520w plus not even silver so it could get harder in future too. I would recommend to buy a better psu now. Save some money and then get a 2070s or next gen GPU based on time or requirement or pricing.

Next gen nvidia will consume above 300w to 350w.

If you want to buy now, go with nvidia 2060S or amd 5700.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
After going through all of your comments I think I'll hold on for now and see how the 3000 series does, there's no point in rushing and risking it. 970 is still okay and can still definitly work on for a bit longer.
If I'm doing this then I should do it right by upgrading the PSU as well, the only reason to not to do it would be if I'm going for a 2060S right now but that might not even be the right call on the long run.

There is good rumor that in 2020 the 3000 series will launched but ,nvidia is sailing in two boats its top end GPU would be 7 nm TSMC chip & mid tier and below from Samsung 8nm. And the new top end would be around 40% faster than 2080ti but good OC capability but power hog.

A lot of new features on nvidia cards, notable is NVCache ,where GPU could use sytems ram and SSD.

But there are strong AMD internal rumors than their new top of the line card is 50 % faster than 2080ti and would be more power efficient than 3XXX series and good chance that amd might take the crown for 2020.AMD will also pull of something like NVcache.

But nvidia would again launch some Super series and take the crown in 2021.

Nvidia has started to suspend 2080ti upto 2070 super from current lineup to accommodate new 3xxx series

What i suggest you

-Dont jump on to 3000 series if it launches first ,let PS5 & XBOX also launch this will give us an idea what AMD has its in its stable. Don`t be in the first batch of people.3000 series could be like their infamous gtx 400 series (fermi) with high power consumption + heat.
-You have good chance of getting used GPU at better price or even new 20 series Nvidia card at reduced prices.
-AMD existing cards would be very much enticing with lower rates same goes for used.
-Don`t sell your 970 to finance your new card because that card would be great streaming card + can be used for GPU accelerated encoding etc .Amd (main) +(nvidia stream or maybe nvidia + nvidia.It also acts as backup video card allows you to flip your main card if you get a good deal.
-And get a good New power supply 750 or 850. if the price is right you can get it now or may be later.

There is good rumor that in 2020 the 3000 series will launched but ,nvidia is sailing in two boats its top end GPU would be 7 nm TSMC chip & mid tier and below from Samsung 8nm. And the new top end would be around 40% faster than 2080ti but good OC capability but power hog.

A lot of new features on nvidia cards, notable is NVCache ,where GPU could use sytems ram and SSD.

But there are strong AMD internal rumors than their new top of the line card is 50 % faster than 2080ti and would be more power efficient than 3XXX series and good chance that amd might take the crown for 2020.AMD will also pull of something like NVcache.

But nvidia would again launch some Super series and take the crown in 2021.

Nvidia has started to suspend 2080ti upto 2070 super from current lineup to accommodate new 3xxx series

What i suggest you

-Dont jump on to 3000 series if it launches first ,let PS5 & XBOX also launch this will give us an idea what AMD has its in its stable. Don`t be in the first batch of people.3000 series could be like their infamous gtx 400 series (fermi) with high power consumption + heat.
-You have good chance of getting used GPU at better price or even new 20 series Nvidia card at reduced prices.
-AMD existing cards would be very much enticing with lower rates same goes for used.
-Don`t sell your 970 to finance your new card because that card would be great streaming card + can be used for GPU accelerated encoding etc .Amd (main) +(nvidia stream or maybe nvidia + nvidia.It also acts as backup video card allows you to flip your main card if you get a good deal.
-And get a good New power supply 750 or 850. if the price is right you can get it now or may be later.

Valid points. Surely will wait it out and will plan based on how things turn out :)

Back